• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning, -16 late build Viper turbo breakdowns, bad rods.

It well be cats turbo factory turbo.190 hp.ulmer and mpi said it fine to run at this power level.

What an embarrassment. There is a reason everyone in TRF has been pissed off for a couple of years at least. Pathetic.....

Have to agree a total embarrassment but let's see how Yamaha deals with this, will it be admit the problem and deal with it or deny and ignore it.

Not at that level of safety it won't. I would not even trust it NA. A weak rod is a weak rod. Guarantee someone who is hard on there engine will break one with well under 190hp. Unless they know it was just a bad small batch of rods and nobody has said that yet.

Not at that level of safety it won't. I would not even trust it NA. A weak rod is a weak rod. Guarantee someone who is hard on there engine will break one with well under 190hp. Unless they know it was just a bad small batch of rods and nobody has said that yet.

Who is the actual manufacture of the rods?

I was at my dealer the other day and just for fun I had them look up the new rods and see if they were available. Just as I thought there were none available - I have a feeling Yamaha has pulled the parts and they will fix the issue for the future.

What will be interesting is if they will do anything for the motors out on the market now, or just deal with them if and when they break.

Last edited:
Which would not be the first time a manufacture did just that, if indeed that is the case.
I am hoping that's the case. Same with starter gear. I am sure a company like Yamaha can track a rod down to the person who inspected it when built. So they would know.would think in a batch of 100 at least one would be destructive tested. Just wish they would say.

I am hoping that's the case. Same with starter gear. I am sure a company like Yamaha can track a rod down to the person who inspected it when built. So they would know.would think in a batch of 100 at least one would be destructive tested. Just wish they would say.

Testing used to be different, now it seems in the day of robot manufacturing flaws can go very far before being found. Toyota (a kind of sister company to Yamaha) now has an old school assembly line for cars beside the automated one to be able to spot problems earlier.

Still waiting for actual proof of bad rods though. Apologies then if there are.

Carillo Magnafluxes and hardness tests every rod. 100% inspected. No not Carillon.

I wondered who makes them as a lot of manufacturing in Japan was outsourced after the last disaster hurt there manufacturing industry. Canondale you know any easy way to find out where engine parts for these are made? (too lazy to research)

Testing used to be different, now it seems in the day of robot manufacturing flaws can go very far before being found. Toyota (a kind of sister company to Yamaha) now has an old school assembly line for cars beside the automated one to be able to spot problems earlier.

Still waiting for actual proof of bad rods though. Apologies then if there are.
The rods are bad...the new parts are outsourced like most companies do. Just because Toyota corporate is located in Japan, does not make them a sister company to Yamaha....

The rods are bad...the new parts are outsourced like most companies do. Just because Toyota corporate is located in Japan, does not make them a sister company to Yamaha....

OMG we are not going to start another long drawn out battle again. Especially if you do not know Yamaha relationship with Toyota.

Ok I just read though all 21 pages, is there a way to tell physically whether it's an affected engine or not? I thought I read something about the exhaust ports on the head being different? Dave can you post a few pictures since you have one apart?

If the valve cover does not have the 2 black rubber cam plugs it is a late build 16 engine. Very easy to see with side panel removed.

Back