• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warranty repairs: potential cost?

Q. Arrius

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX LE (red)
'12 Apex SE (black)
'12 Arctic Cat F800 snopro (129, orange)
'15 SRX 120 (blue)
''15 S.Doo Renegade XRS (Ronald McDonald colors)
I took my ‘17 SW LTX LE is for the bearing repair. I had to take it to a dealer I didn’t buy it from. (I did buy my Apex from them though.). They were very professional and honestly, more willing to help than I would have been, considering I didn’t buy it from them.

It felt like I took my boy to the orphanage and told him to step out for a minute...I’d be right back!

I approached them beforehand in person, with 30+ pictures. I knew they’d require it....and sure enough, I had to reassemble it. They were unfamiliar with the issue, which I believe, since I’m nowhere even close to the snow belt. I absolutely offered 10+ times to do the work, once the claim is filed. (Yeah, I know, it’s not how it works etc.). But if shop times are limited, and it could be a bit more than a tech could do....I’d gladly pick it up and the shaft, and do it myself.

As mentioned in other posts: it’s probably gonna get put back together the 1k mile way aka YamiCat way.
I made it clear, (and showed the BoP wedge,) I’m still gonna have to open it up and finish the repair. (Not said snotty etc, and staff was very impressed with your product Travis!). Basically the concern was I often ride alone, so everything must be correct to bring me home at night. I also provided a better bearing.

I have the 4 year warranty, and the ONLY reason I took it in, was I happen to recall I spent a lot of money for the warranty. Money that is supposed to sit in escrow. I only ever had the 500 mile service done. I’ve kept the sled better designed and maintained than any shop could dream of, thanks to TY. (Another reason to consider becoming a life member or at least chip’n in...money well spent.)

Anyway the question: Can I get hammered for labor? A claim is filed, and I’m waiting to hear. If Yami approves this, is there a cost to me?

I’m reading posts saying multiple answers....but not sure any of the back stories. I’m guessing my first year was the unlimited warranty, and the next three are Y.E.S? Anyone with experience? Is it possible Yami offers the shaft but no labor?

I regret not just ordering the drive shaft myself. What a dumb mistake. Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Q. Arrius

Sorry for the long post

Just picked y new shaft and bearing from my dealer. I am the second owner of the sled and the YES warranty was transferable. $0.oo

Boom

Attachments

• AFE18D6B-D260-44A4-8425-3C4B5002C4A5.jpeg
    AFE18D6B-D260-44A4-8425-3C4B5002C4A5.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 194
I took my ‘17 SW LTX LE is for the bearing repair. I had to take it to a dealer I didn’t buy it from. (I did buy my Apex from them though.). They were very professional and honestly, more willing to help than I would have been, considering I didn’t buy it from them.

It felt like I took my boy to the orphanage and told him to step out for a minute...I’d be right back!

I approached them beforehand in person, with 30+ pictures. I knew they’d require it....and sure enough, I had to reassemble it. They were unfamiliar with the issue, which I believe, since I’m nowhere even close to the snow belt. I absolutely offered 10+ times to do the work, once the claim is filed. (Yeah, I know, it’s not how it works etc.). But if shop times are limited, and it could be a bit more than a tech could do....I’d gladly pick it up and the shaft, and do it myself.

As mentioned in other posts: it’s probably gonna get put back together the 1k mile way aka YamiCat way.
I made it clear, (and showed the BoP wedge,) I’m still gonna have to open it up and finish the repair. (Not said snotty etc, and staff was very impressed with your product Travis!). Basically the concern was I often ride alone, so everything must be correct to bring me home at night. I also provided a better bearing.

I have the 4 year warranty, and the ONLY reason I took it in, was I happen to recall I spent a lot of money for the warranty. Money that is supposed to sit in escrow. I only ever had the 500 mile service done. I’ve kept the sled better designed and maintained than any shop could dream of, thanks to TY. (Another reason to consider becoming a life member or at least chip’n in...money well spent.)

Anyway the question: Can I get hammered for labor? A claim is filed, and I’m waiting to hear. If Yami approves this, is there a cost to me?

I’m reading posts saying multiple answers....but not sure any of the back stories. I’m guessing my first year was the unlimited warranty, and the next three are Y.E.S? Anyone with experience? Is it possible Yami offers the shaft but no labor?

I regret not just ordering the drive shaft myself. What a dumb mistake. Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Q. Arrius

Sorry for the long post
My dealer in Canada has charged me $550 for the axle labor , on the warrantied shaft !
I have not picked up the sled , and have been told by U.S. guys that YES covers labor.
Not sure Canada is the same .
Any body in Canada have the labor covered also ?
I am not sure but the actuator and upper gear was also replaced under warranty , and no labour covered !

My dealer in Canada has charged me $550 for the axle labor , on the warrantied shaft !
I have not picked up the sled , and have been told by U.S. guys that YES covers labor.
I am not sure but the actuator and upper gear was also replaced under warranty , and no labour covered !
That's BS, warranty covers all expenses. Sounds like your dealer is "double dipping" and getting paid twice for the repair. My warranty repairs were fully covered.

The dealer in canada replaced my drive axle bearing and top gear all under warranty no labor cost, but it was within the first year i'm not sure about the remaining 2 years

Good point... First year warranty is definitely different then the extended part of the YES warranty.

If your sled has warranty the labour and parts are fully covered. Call Yamaha Canada to make sure or another dealer.
It's possible they did other maintenance items to your sled for the additional cost, call them and ask.

If your sled has warranty the labour and parts are fully covered. Call Yamaha Canada to make sure or another dealer.
It's possible they did other maintenance items to your sled for the additional cost, call them and ask.
The labor was itemized as for the warranty axle work .
They didn't itemize the labor for the reverse actuator or the upper gear .
I had an additional $350 labor for other service work , non warranty related , which was sliders, 6 bogies replaced , and a rear lense replaced.
I will be discussing the labor issue with them , before I pick up the sled.

The $550 labor was itemized as for the warranty axle work .
I had an additional $350 labor for other service work , non warranty related , which was sliders, 6 bogies replaced , and a rear lense replaced.

The labor was itemized as for the warranty axle work .

Apparently Yamaha Canada included 3 hours labor with the warranty axle repair, and I was charged an additional $550 by the dealer for just that.
I am thinking , but don't know , only the axle was provided , and the dealer had to remove and replace the drivers on the new shaft .
No mention of the labor for the reverse actuator and gear replacement .
Something doesn't seem right .
Anyone get charged additional labor on their axle warrantied replacement ?

What I don’t understand is why are you guysNOT /dealers getting the entire shaft with the drivers installed onto it? I was under the impression they come as one assembly WITH DRIVERS installed. I was told that’s how mine came and was replaced under warranty. NO CHARGE. USA that was.

What I don’t understand is why are you guysNOT /dealers getting the entire shaft with the drivers installed onto it? I was under the impression they come as one assembly WITH DRIVERS installed. I was told that’s how mine came and was replaced under warranty. NO CHARGE. USA that was.

I had mine apart for pre season maintenance and it had some wear but not much. So I just took the parts down to my dealer and showed them what was happening to the shaft. They knew all about this known bad design problem and did not have me put my sled back together just so they could warranty it. Just dropped off my shaft and caliper.They pressed all off and inserted new shaft and bearings and then pressed all back on. my Cost was $0, why should I care either way. Plus I dropped them off in the afternoon and next morning I got the They are ready call. All new shaft may save some labor compared to pressing cogs off damaged shaft and then pressing back on new shaft. Completely up to them as long as it is no cost to me. Cogs looked good anyways and they centered them perfectly when pressing them back on!

Oh and I was warned that it will happen again because of the bad loose bearing to shaft fit design, and was told to try some loctite. I am sure they knew about BOP fix but to tell me to spend $150 would probably not go over well with many on new or newer sled, so I left that alone.

Last edited:
Maybe due to nationwide/worldwide shortage of complete shaft/driver wheels assemblies? My dealer told me when he ordered the 3 I needed the Arctic Cat website showed at least 700 on back order! So, some dealers/customers are electing to get only the shaft (which is not back-ordered) in order to get customer back on the snow faster than waiting for the complete assembly. It's a complete disaster!
And the sad news is, if nothing is done during the re-assembly (BOP wedge, dimpling, or loctite or some combination of these) to make it better, it will happen again (and again)!!!!! Those dealers/end-users who put it back together exactly as it was delivered from the factory will have it happen again and again and again!

Back