• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What exhaust is not too loud.

Here's a good one, the DNR and MNR (Canada) agents, and whatever other "agents" can go and pound salt and do something productive rather than pinch sleds for illegal exhaust.

Sure there are some loud and annoying exhausts out there, but if I'm going to be out on the trails and be constantly worried about "them" pulling or flagging me over (for a bunch of BS as far as I am concerned) I might as well park my sleds and post a for sale sign and sing kumbaya by the camp fire with my decibel meter with my new set of snow shoes.

Went for a rip the other day and ran into an MNR and two local police constables on their sleds. Of course they pulled me over and I thought that I was going to get nailed for my exhaust...

Rather than sit quiet, I thought, "heck I have nothing to lose here, I have all of my paperwork, trail pass and I haven't had any alcohol - so let's see where this goes...".

Sure enough after everything checked out, one officer asked if I had a "can". So I responded, what is the big deal anyway? Do you even know what exactly you'd be looking for? Each sled is a little different and from what I understand there is absolutely no consistency in how this so called law is applied anyway...I then went on and said that as far as I was concerned if you need to issue a ticket, let's get this show on the road, because as far as I'm concerned this type of nonsense is ruining the sport. How about promoting safety, and promoting the sport, rather than pissing all of our big spenders and tourists off with this nonsense.

The officer thanked me for my comments and issued me a ticket, and went further by telling me that I could fight it as per the instructions on the reverse side of the ticket.

I said thank you very much, you can count on it, now I must be on my way. Keep up the good work boys.

There you have it. My 2 cents with a dose of first hand experience and a gentle sprinkle of some venting on the side lol. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a good one, the DNR and MNR (Canada) agents, and whatever other "agents" can go and pound salt and do something productive rather than pinch sleds for illegal exhaust.

Sure there are some loud and annoying exhausts out there, but if I'm going to be out on the trails and be constantly worried about "them" pulling or flagging me over (for a bunch of BS as far as I am concerned) I might as well park my sleds and post a for sale sign and sing kumbaya by the camp fire with my decibel meter with my new set of snow shoes.

Went for a rip the other day and ran into an MNR and two local police constables on their sleds. Of course they pulled me over and I thought that I was going to get nailed for my exhaust...

Rather than sit quiet, I thought, "heck I have nothing to lose here, I have all of my paperwork, trail pass and I haven't had any alcohol - so let's see where this goes...".

Sure enough after everything checked out, one officer asked if I had a "can". So I responded, what is the big deal anyway? Do you even know what exactly you'd be looking for? Each sled is a little different and from what I understand there is absolutely no consistency in how this so called law is applied anyway...I then went on and said that as far as I was concerned if you need to issue a ticket, let's get this show on the road, because as far as I'm concerned this type of nonsense is ruining the sport. How about promoting safety, and promoting the sport, rather than pissing all of our big spenders and tourists off with this nonsense.

The officer thanked me for my comments and issued me a ticket, and went further by telling me that I could fight it as per the instructions on the reverse side of the ticket.

I said thank you very much, you can count on it, now I must be on my way. Keep up the good work boys.

There you have it. My 2 cents with a dose of first hand experience and a gentle sprinkle of some venting on the side lol. Cheers!

They never tested it for noise levels? Like used a noise meter? In USA or Canada ? I hope they ticket me without sound testing me! You can beat that most times in USA

Last edited:
I got stopped about 5 days ago in the U.P. I have a TD Turbo Force(not the quietest can).. It was kind of weird.
One guy in his vehicle, snowing like cats and dogs.. I see him - he sees me and gets out of vehicle.. Long story short he asks me a lot of questions, tells me he was out riding the other day, looks at my sled that's still at idle and send me on my way.. Real decent guy.. Actually think he was checking me out for alcohol. That's how its suppose to go, and I got no problem getting spot checked.. I was not HOT DOGGING IT - which helps

Whether we like it or not, if you modify or change the exhaust you can get pinched. I like the method that TD has on his facebook page. The TD SQ muffler with the stock shield over it. Has the stamp on it and they will not ticket you without proof. The only difference in look is the fact the in part of the pipe to the turbo is 2.5 inch. Other than that it looks stock with the shields in place. It is only a touch lo0uder as well. Just my 2C

They never tested it for noise levels? Like used a noise meter? In USA or Canada ? I hope they ticket me without sound testing me! You can beat that most times in USA

Nope. No meter whatsoever. Like I said - there is no consistency in their approach or application. I got nailed with my 97 Mach Z years back for the same nonsense. Did it change my approach? Nope lol.

Nope. No meter whatsoever. Like I said - there is no consistency in their approach or application. I got nailed with my 97 Mach Z years back for the same nonsense. Did it change my approach? Nope lol.

You may call it nonsense, but remember our trails run across land owned by other people, and trails have been closed by excessively loud exhaust systems. I take you're not a volunteer that has to speak with landowners every season who complain about it. Not all systems are loud, but the ones that are and the tools that don't know when to lay off the throttle when in certain areas are the reason we get fined for this. Don't get me wrong, I run a full system on my sled, but I know when to keep it quiet.

You may call it nonsense, but remember our trails run across land owned by other people, and trails have been closed by excessively loud exhaust systems. I take you're not a volunteer that has to speak with landowners every season who complain about it. Not all systems are loud, but the ones that are and the tools that don't know when to lay off the throttle when in certain areas are the reason we get fined for this. Don't get me wrong, I run a full system on my sled, but I know when to keep it quiet. Don't blame the police for wrecking the sport, blame idiots that have no common sense.

You may call it nonsense, but remember our trails run across land owned by other people, and trails have been closed by excessively loud exhaust systems. I take you're not a volunteer that has to speak with landowners every season who complain about it. Not all systems are loud, but the ones that are and the tools that don't know when to lay off the throttle when in certain areas are the reason we get fined for this. Don't get me wrong, I run a full system on my sled, but I know when to keep it quiet. Don't blame the police for wrecking the sport, blame idiots that have no common sense.

Appreciate the commentary.

Yes I've been a volunteer and yes I've been a land owner. Not anymore and for quite some time, but that is another story.

In my situation I've been stopped very deep in the woods and on "crown land". Not privately owned and no less than 10-12 miles from the nearest home or piece/parcel of private property. So yes, I call this non-sense, and what do you call it?

I'd ask these so called officers of the law, when was the last time you pulled over a Harley rider? Or a boater with loud exhaust which you can hear on the water, in the summer, when everyone is outside and all windows in homes are open, coming for miles down a lake. It doesn't happen! More political money on their side!

I'd ask these so called officers of the law, when was the last time you pulled over a Harley rider? Or a boater with loud exhaust which you can hear on the water, in the summer, when everyone is outside and all windows in homes are open, coming for miles down a lake. It doesn't happen! More political money on their side!

Agreed. More or less called a "tax" and nothing else.

Nothing like a boat with thru-hull exhaust or a Harley with straight pipes. How about some after market exhaust on a pick up or a car...but whatever I don't have issues with any of that. I do however have issues when the law is not consistent and "nonsensical" (not sure if that is a word, but it definitely applies here lol).

Going back to one of the earlier comments. I'm all about protecting our natural resources, safe operation of equipment, common courtesy with residential areas and maintaining harmony with the "non-sledders" and naturalists that don't care for a little noise here and there. But let's get real, it's a BS application (to fine for non OEM exhaust). If they need the money, I'll pay the fines all day long on the trail (for non OEM exhaust) if they can guarantee me that 100% of the money goes back to the trails, associations and all of the hard work to keep the sport going...we all know that is not going to happen and you can take that to the bank!

ahhh... yes, the very predicable response..... what about the Harley going down the road....... very simple..... a Harley rider DOESN'T need land owner permission to go down a public road or highway. They have to adhere to the highway traffic act, but I don't need land owner permission.... Most sled trails are very dependent on private land owner permission.

I am a land owner that has trails cross land. From my experience it is the young kids on their 440 snow pros with a straight can making all the noise. It really upsets me as they are the ones that close trailes and piss off the public. As Rodney danger field would say. " this kids now days don't gave respect". Lol.
I have run a full exhaust on all my sleds giving the most respect in sensitive areas. My last three procross I have run silent choice and the same in my boat.
Just my two or three cents worth of a rant

Yes, I used the Harley and boat example to make the point that the laws are not applied equally. And we have much less political clout than the motorcycle and boat manufacturers. As we all know politics and money go hand in hand.

For what it's worth a guy over on the HCS forum in the cat turbo section just talked about getting a hard time from the cops in NY about the TD super quiet 2.5 on a thundercat. I believe it was his buddies sled but his Suzuki turbo with same muffler did not get looked at, just thought I'd share. If it were me I'd want till after winter and send my stock muffler to d&d to have it modded, only thing I don't like about that is you can't go back stock...

I have a D &D modified stock muffler I'd consider parting with if it helps anyone out. Send me a pm.

Back