• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

whats it capable of?

tator

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I see the compression of 9:1. timing must be a little behind the viper also i would assume. so do you think this sidewinder is capable of 250 hp with an ECU flash. then gears and 135 mph!

I'm guessing about 240.

I've looked at a few maps for this turbo and (assuming Yamaha is using the same comp/turbine housings) it looks like the turbo is maxed out at ~14lbs. The base HP of the motor is probably about 110, so approx 10hp/lb (a bit less in reality) 110 + 140 = 250. Base HP is an educated guess, and you won't get quite 10hp/lb, so 240 seems a good guesstimate.

Attachments

• SW MCX 250 kit.jpg
    SW MCX 250 kit.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 282
I'm guessing about 240.

I've looked at a few maps for this turbo and (assuming Yamaha is using the same comp/turbine housings) it looks like the turbo is maxed out at ~14lbs. The base HP of the motor is probably about 110, so approx 10hp/lb (a bit less in reality) 110 + 140 = 250. Base HP is an educated guess, and you won't get quite 10hp/lb, so 240 seems a good guesstimate.

If this is the same turbo that cat had before it would do 28 to 30lbs of boost. 14 sounds very low?

We must be looking at different maps then. A turbo that is happy making 20+ lbs seems a bit large for the design goals of this sled, assuming that Yamaha would have no interest in people dialing up the boost on it. It would come at the expense of throttle response, which they have clearly indicated as a design goal.

I'll have to go back and find the maps I was looking at; I didn't save any of them. Did you download anything from the ones you were looking at?

I'm not sure what to do a friend of mine and a snowmobile guru who thinkers with everything to mske power says the 800rr cats eat up the viper turbos in the fields but on the lakes the vipers get them and the catsband are a fraction of the price.
He has a 800 himself which I drove it pulls hard...
He also claims that he drove a rmk with a turbo which was unbelievably responsive fast and fun and he doesn't think the new sidewinder can compete.
He is going to order a new thundercat but is hesitant that it isn't going to stand up to the hype.
I myself want to order the new sidewinder but would be upset if my buddies 800 with a little work is faster and more responsive.

my guess, based on the automotive uses of this turbo, is 250hp @ 14-15 psi before it starts blowing a ton of hot air. It might do 20psi and more HP but would need a lot more intercooler! I can't seem to find compressor maps for these IHI turbos, or a reference to which trim the Sidewinder is using.

The 250 can u get on pump gas with this motor though?

With the 9.0:1 compression and a bit of retarded timing, no problem IMO. Looking at how this engine is setup its VERY safe out of the box and they left a lot of room for turning it up just encase Doo decided to challenge them with a 1200T.

Back