• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's the consensus on the motoman break in period

mmollema

I went to the motoman link from this site and read his opinion on breaking in 4 stroke motors and was nondering what the forum thought about it. If you are a believer do you think it is necessary to drain the factory oil and put in conventional for the break in. Looking for some input and advice before I break in my 2012. Thanks

just ride it normally with some good WOT pulls to seat the rings. I rode the poop out of mine when i got is and changed the oil at 300 miles, no problems...

I use motoman for all my engines. Specifically my builds for my grizzlies. My 869 grizzly runs right with my 1000xxc gade. I always dump the oil after the first hour of use and then at 10 hours.

No issues yet.

Only thing I do not do is steady throttle positions. Very the throttle and when I do runs to WOT I do not hold it there.

I remember reading that article years ago, but I didn't recall the oil change. I've alway broken in my engines the way they described in the owners manual. My IQR specs a procedure the same as my dirt bike using heat cycles. My decision would err on the side of caution and follow the similar recommendations of every owners manual I've had for the past 20+ years. I'd feel pretty dumb if I ruined my motor because I followed the advice of one web article that contradicted everything I'd read before. That said, all of my racing buddies I've had over the years believe in breaking them in hard.

mmollema, the semi-synthetic that it comes with is fine. I was told Yamaha had to use it because conventional oil was not rated for cold enough temperatures.

I used that method on two rebuilt 2 strokes and on our new van in 2008 (was funny peeling out of the dealer lot!). If there was an issue with WOT with new engines, then there would be a lot of cop cars dying real quick!

I dont really believe in a "method"
i just vary the throttle, and try not to hold it wot for a long time. i also try not to idle it alot. rather shut it down and let it cool.
i do that till whatever factory break in says is the period, then all bets are off, i do what i want.
I also make sure everything i buy new gets high test through at LEAST its break in period. i mean with a sled its hard...specially in maine cuz well lotsa times theres only 1 pump. or the other 2 are empty!

I think a lot of guys use the "Motoman method" as justification for not being able to control their thumb for the first 300 miles.

I break in engines driving the way I always do except that I never maintain one throttle positions for very long, including WOT. I think this is fairly consistent with the motoman method, and most the other guys here.

revster said:
I break in engines driving the way I always do except that I never maintain one throttle positions for very long, including WOT. I think this is fairly consistent with the motoman method, and most the other guys here.

X2

I think most are thinking about this too much. Just ride the thing, don't hold it WFO, and vary the throttle.

Back