• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which ski do people like better on Sidewinder, Cat Ski or Pilots?

Another thing to add... the apex although as heavy feels and reacts differently to the same ski.. for example I loved my razors on a apex... but didn't on the 12 procross..... now for the 6.9s i was wondering if shaper plus shaper would eliminate Somme of the push.... but then again i know the cost is heavier steering or to lighten ski pressure might help that? personally I'm still up in the air with having two complete sets of new skis..one being the 6.9s and the other being the Mohawks.... from everyone who's used both.... Mohawks did everything better... just look a little funky. Lol
Well I bolted on a new set of Mohawks last week and took them for an 800 mile test run. While it took me awhile to gain confidence in the corners being so used to my tuners inevitable PGT disorder (push, grab & tip) i soon noticed I was taking the corners much faster without any inner ski lift. After a day of fine tuning ski pressure and transfer I felt my SW was on its way to much better handling. Then I traded sleds with my buddy running 5.7's on his ltx (same chassis as mine). Going into the first couple corners I literally found myself looking to see if his pilots were even touching the ground as the steering was so light. The trail was freshly groomed and loose on top which is where I feared the tuners. I found i could steer easily with just my arms versus my entire body. While my buddy is a much more experienced rider. He was able to get on my sled and rail the corners just as quickly as normal within a few miles of getting used to the feel however when we stopped and compared our findings I said "did you put power steering on yours?" and he replied, I have never experienced a ski (my new Mohawks) which were so hard to turn and get out of ruts made by others". My bubble was immediately bursted. A vouple more adjustments and putting the skis in the forward position helped slightly but im back to scratching my head and considering 6.9's as an all purpose best choice for me.

I found the 5.7s would dart a little on the 1200. We added woodies navigator to the 6 inch carbide/4inch outside set up . This helped.

Not sure if the 5.7s would be better in this category fitted on the 998 vs a 6" offset carbide.

Well I bolted on a new set of Mohawks last week and took them for an 800 mile test run. While it took me awhile to gain confidence in the corners being so used to my tuners inevitable PGT disorder (push, grab & tip) i soon noticed I was taking the corners much faster without any inner ski lift. After a day of fine tuning ski pressure and transfer I felt my SW was on its way to much better handling. Then I traded sleds with my buddy running 5.7's on his ltx (same chassis as mine). Going into the first couple corners I literally found myself looking to see if his pilots were even touching the ground as the steering was so light. The trail was freshly groomed and loose on top which is where I feared the tuners. I found i could steer easily with just my arms versus my entire body. While my buddy is a much more experienced rider. He was able to get on my sled and rail the corners just as quickly as normal within a few miles of getting used to the feel however when we stopped and compared our findings I said "did you put power steering on yours?" and he replied, I have never experienced a ski (my new Mohawks) which were so hard to turn and get out of ruts made by others". My bubble was immediately bursted. A vouple more adjustments and putting the skis in the forward position helped slightly but im back to scratching my head and considering 6.9's as an all purpose best choice for me.

what Ive learned since the earlier posts....Mohawks need a mild carbide or round bar and less ski pressure....also....one "hack" I got from kevin at port yamaha and tom aka mr.sled is with an aggressive ski like the c&a or mohawk...a slim jim dooly works wonders...we tested this thory on two identical machines and setups...and in fact its just as described...easy steering , yet precise

what Ive learned since the earlier posts....Mohawks need a mild carbide or round bar and less ski pressure....also....one "hack" I got from kevin at port yamaha and tom aka mr.sled is with an aggressive ski like the c&a or mohawk...a slim jim dooly works wonders...we tested this thory on two identical machines and setups...and in fact its just as described...easy steering , yet precise
Anyone have a part # for woodys slim jims that will fit SLP Mohawks? Thanks

I tried Arctic Skis on my 129 last year. Never used the Tuners. Shimmed them about 3/16 so they tipped up. Tried many different combinations of carbide. Had to have a lot of ski pressure before I trusted them and even then did not feel confident carrying a lot of speed into corners. Would have to back off and let the front end settle a little. Which is not what I was looking for. Went to Mohawks this season. So far so good. Using 8 inches of 60 degree carbide. Lightened up front end. Easy to steer. Does not seem to follow previous ruts. Very much improved floatation. They are each 7.5 inches wide. Don't ride with any other Sidewinders so don't have any direct comparisons. Wish I did.

cat skis with snowtrackers problem solved no push no dart and only one carbide on the ice no top end loss easy steering no compromise bolt right on and Travis at BOP has a package deal.

cat skis with snowtrackers problem solved no push no dart and only one carbide on the ice no top end loss easy steering no compromise bolt right on and Travis at BOP has a package deal.
1 carbide on the ice but let me tell you, that carbide is one thin beast. It will eat through anything. You have to be moving to even attempt to turn anything with ST's.

I swore by them for years. ...No Dart, long life, very little Push..but.... I am currently testing Quality Pieces 6" offset and i think i like them better. Under certain conditions they ST's were harder to steer, sometimes a little scary on the lakes with some crust.
Again, ST's cut the hell out of a trailer so Im sure some of that would transfer to drag.

Again, ST's cut the hell out of a trailer so Im sure some of that would transfer to drag.[/QUOTE]
Actually cutting the trailer translates into not spreading the load which would translate into less drag as there is less surface area in contact with the snow.

Last edited:
I tried Arctic Skis on my 129 last year. Never used the Tuners. Shimmed them about 3/16 so they tipped up. Tried many different combinations of carbide. Had to have a lot of ski pressure before I trusted them and even then did not feel confident carrying a lot of speed into corners. Would have to back off and let the front end settle a little. Which is not what I was looking for. Went to Mohawks this season. So far so good. Using 8 inches of 60 degree carbide. Lightened up front end. Easy to steer. Does not seem to follow previous ruts. Very much improved floatation. They are each 7.5 inches wide. Don't ride with any other Sidewinders so don't have any direct comparisons. Wish I did.
What shocks are on your SW? I have limited adjustment with the hpg coil overs. If I bump up front track shock it seems to teeter back & forth. Not sure how else to lighten ski pressure. I really want to like these Mohawks.

I don't want to hi-jack the op's thread but, I would be interested in a comparison between the 6.9's and the mohawks.

so start a thread.
Well I'm just a sidewinder thread "lurker" right now. Trying to take in all the info available for if or when the day comes when I take the "winder plunge".

Back