• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who is running TAPP Primary clutch??

Where is the cheapest place to pick up this set up, damn sled is a money pit?

Where is the cheapest place to pick up this set up, damn sled is a money pit?

There’s no cheap place lol. You’re looking at about $2200.00 if you want both clutches. $1400.00 for the TAPP, $800.00 for the Pro 4; give or take 50 bucks.

There’s no cheap place lol. You’re looking at about $2200.00 if you want both clutches. $1400.00 for the TAPP, $800.00 for the Pro 4; give or take 50 bucks.
Those clutches are toooo bright and shiney to look at !!!!
Certainly don't want to make them them dirty with a 8JP dust maker !

Lmao, You are so right...that’s why I’m running the Ultimax XS 825 instead!
If I buy those clutches I would want to get my clutch side panel made out of clear material so I can watch them work their magic !!!!!
Or get 2 sets and mount one set on the wall in the man cave !!!

Some trail testing the last 2 days. SS stock muffler tunes
Last week I set up my clutch's as such
Brand new XS 825 belt
Primary spring stock
arms empty with shortest bolts and +1 rollers, arm weight 20.5 grams
Secondary 43-34 with a white Dalton spring(98-165) in center hole on the +1/2 side
I was running 270 for a while and was running at 9450 rpm , found the RPM I was looking for from last year for sure!!!!
I then ran 240 and was hitting 9300
I then added 2 gram bolt to each arm, arm weight now 22.5 grams and ran again on 240----8950 rpm
I think today I will back my secondary spring off to center hole standard or maybe to one softer.
unfortunately our snow is going to take a beating today so I don't know when ill be able to ride again

One thing I did find out is it seems the old adage of +/- 1 gram per arm in the primary equals +/- 200 rpm hold true with the TAPP as it did with flyweight clutches, even though 1 gram per arm in the TAPP is 4 grams vs 3 grams in the stock 3 arm clutches.

Also these SS tunes are the real deal, this thing is a freight train!!

Brand new XS 825 belt
Primary spring stock
Secondary 43-34 with a white Dalton spring(98-165) in center hole on the +1/2 side
I was running 270 for a while and was running at 9450 rpm , found the RPM I was looking for from last year for sure!!!!
I then added 2 gram bolt to each arm, arm weight now 22.5 grams and ran again on 240----8950 rpm
I think today I will back my secondary spring off to center hole standard or maybe to one softer.
unfortunately our snow is going to take a beating today so I don't know when ill be able to ride again

One thing I did find out is it seems the old adage of +/- 1 gram per arm in the primary equals +/- 200 rpm hold true with the TAPP as it did with flyweight clutches, even though 1 gram per arm in the TAPP is 4 grams vs 3 grams in the stock 3 arm clutches.

Stain, can you add the bolt trail side/without taking the cover off/clutch apart?

Well I guess the +1 rollers were the difference for finding the R’s. Great news about the SS Tunes too...I’m so looking forward to trying mine out next weekend! How were clutch temps...good??

Yes. you need to take the cover off only for the roller replacement. Arm adjustments can be made trailside in no time at all.
Clutch temp were good.
I did not get out on the lake to hold it open for a mile run. All testing done on trail.

Yes. you need to take the cover off only for the roller replacement. Arm adjustments can be made trailside in no time at all.
Clutch temp were good.
I did not get out on the lake to hold it open for a mile run. All testing done on trail.

Fabulous! Great info. Thank you for posting Stain.

STAIN, Why did go the route of using the set screw in the arms vs using the washers on the roller thru-bolt? Was this for ease of trailside adjustment? According to TAPP: "The weight in the arms can be adjusted in two ways: set screws in the arms, an washers on the roller thru bolt. Set screws in the arms affect the low speed shift points more than the high speed, and weight on the roller bolt acts like tip weight in a conventional clutch affecting the high speed more than any other part of the curve."

PS: Great info! ...and also when you say stock primary? Which spring _ Tapp Black ?

Last edited:
Brand new XS 825 belt
Primary spring stock

What was your ramp setup? Did you keep them all A's?

Unfortunately with my new sled and zero miles I put my TAPP on and after a few miles I did develop the dreaded stub shaft rattle. The more I drove it the more it got louder. I think the rattle is the luck of the draw. If you are looking to stop the stub shaft rattle with this clutch I would not be too positive it will. There is a chance it will change the harmonics of the rattle and it might make your particular sled quieter but in my case it did not stop it from developing. I hate that rattle especially since my 1100 turbo was silently quiet and almost as powerful.

I would pull the clutch off and make sure the stub shaft didn't slide in the bearings. Or one of the bolts coming loose behind clutch. I have seen this happen to my Tapp when I snapped a belt in half.

I would pull the clutch off and make sure the stub shaft didn't slide in the bearings. Or one of the bolts coming loose behind clutch. I have seen this happen to my Tapp when I snapped a belt in half.
How does the stub shaft slide in the bearings? I never had a sled with a stub shaft before.... What do you look for ? How do you tell? The bolts did not look loose when I put the clutch on but I will pull it tomorrow and double check them.

Brand new XS 825 belt
Primary spring stock

Stain,
Great info here and thanks for sharing.

Can you attest to any performance gains with these clutches such as faster et, topend etc???

Back