• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will Yamaha be the new supplier of Cat engines???

Dmaxxer

Veteran
From what i've heard Cat is suppossed to be manufacturing their own engines starting in 2014. Wonder if Yamaha will be building their new engines??? Would be good for them. What are some of your thoughts??? Been a Yamaha fan for ever and ride with Arctic Cats. I will wait and see the outcome of this before I make a judgement. Have a good day.

I'd say from what we saw today the trade off will be cat will use Yamaha engines, won't change a thing just the color :o|

Cat has been ramping up to produce their own 2 strokes in house for a couple years now. I believe Cat will be building their own 600 and 800 and using Yamaha's triple for the 130ish HP sled and the turbo 170ish HP sleds.

Keep in mind that AC does not do most machining or casting on any engines.It is outsourced like most all manufacturers.I believe the Cat Engine plant is an assembly plant.There must be more room at the plant since more and more of the cat atv's are being made by Kymco with AC plastic.

I do know electronics,starters,bearings and I am sure more are outsourced at Yamaha also.Is very hard to have a definition of what is truly built where.

AC is build a 2-stroke 650 and a 850 themselfs.. Im assuming they will use the Yamaha 4-stroke untill they can build there own (or just continue wit ha yamaha 4stroke)

Yep, that's what a Cat dealer posted on another site...I sure hope the sleds are priced the same...I would like my sled to say Yamaha...but if it's the same sled..I would ride the cheaper of the two.

The yamaha/cat viper deal is just that...i talked to a very well known cat/yamaha dealer yesterday about this and they told me that cat isnt going to use this motor in any boosted sled!!! cat has went over sea's searching for a 4 stroke to turbo (NOT JAPAN)! This same little bird told me that Cat refused to use yamaha clutches on there models so they expect alot of cat riders to go for the yamaha to avoid the belt problems.

JP270NYTRO said:
The yamaha/cat viper deal is just that...i talked to a very well known cat/yamaha dealer yesterday about this and they told me that cat isnt going to use this motor in any boosted sled!!! cat has went over sea's searching for a 4 stroke to turbo (NOT JAPAN)! This same little bird told me that Cat refused to use yamaha clutches on there models so they expect alot of cat riders to go for the yamaha to avoid the belt problems.

Dealers tell you all sorts of stuff. I was told by my informant who hasn't been wrong yet that Yamaha will have a boosted version of this engine next year and Cat will get the same. As for the clutches it is the other way around. Yamaha refused to let Cat have their clutches.

IF Cat wants good clutching all they need to do is find a reliable source to MFG them. Does Yam make theirs or use a supplier?

journeyman said:
JP270NYTRO said:

Dealers tell you all sorts of stuff. I was told by my informant who hasn't been wrong yet that Yamaha will have a boosted version of this engine next year and Cat will get the same. As for the clutches it is the other way around. Yamaha refused to let Cat have their clutches.
well i dont know why the boys at D&D would tell me that then seems that they are all about cat performance and would know what they where talking about! they said yamaha is to particular and wouldnt let cat change the bottom end for the boost so cat is looking else where...and they have to cat versions of the viper with cat clutches in them with nytro motor.

I don't know the particulars of the future boosted model other than next year. I do know Yamaha did not agree to give them their clutches. The clutches are pretty key to making this motor perform though. Cat's clutches are a nightmare to say the least.

I have both brands, and work on yamaha and cat clutches.
No problem with either one as long as you know clutches.
Yamaha clutches are definitely more user friendly

Back