• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WNYS Yamaha ride----January 18-21

I was on Tug Hill yesterday riding. They have plenty of snow on the hill. Not sure how much is down by the Freeman. I would guess they got about 1 foot on new snow. The trails were rough. I was surprised they could be that rough with the amount of snow they have which is mostly lake effect. I measured(as a good meteorologist I had a tape measure with me) anywhere from 12" up to 22". Of course that is lake effect and will settle fast, but that really doesn't make any difference because it is already settled on the trails with all the sleds that were up there. Real thin trying to ride down to Port Lyden, less then 4". Forecast calls for some snow Monday night, then changing to a mixture on Tues., then rain Tues. afternoon, then back to snow late Tuesday, then lake effect snow Wed. and Thursday and getting colder, before warming back up yo normal on Friday, and a little above normal on Sat. If they don't get out and groom, I don't think it would be an enjoyable trip. Just my two cents.

Whatever you guys decide, I've decided to give it a try and join you for at least Thursday and maybe Friday. The season has just been so crappy I'm willing to try anything at this point. What about further north on the hill for a base of operations? I guess just wait and see what happens the next couple of days. :o|

And I promise not to whine.

The best policy!!!!!!

:Rules: :Rules: :Rules:

Attachments

• no whiners.jpg
    no whiners.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 553
Looks like TC riders are going to groom tonight. I checked Southern Tug Hill clubs web site, and I think they have their dates mixed up, but by reading it I think they groomed most trails last night and will be grooming during the day on Monday. Checked trail conditions up by Cranberry Lake and it said they were in Poor Condition. So unless Honk gives us a thumbs up about the trails out in his area, it looks like Tug Hill should be the place to ride. However that is just my opinion, I will ride anywhere, and in any conditions, except over Lakes, where I like at least 4" of ice. Steve is going to call the Freeman soon for an update from the owner on the trails around there. Those trails are groomed by Southern Tug Hill, so I assume they will be in decent shape. Stay tuned to this post for the ever changing first TY NY casual ride of the season.

I may be able to ride tug this weekend but i cant miss school... I rode tonight south of syracuse and my thoughts were pretty mixed trails were rough and in part i ended up pon skipping but off trail there was exalent powder

Called the Freeman and the Inn-Keeper's been out riding all day...still aint back at 9:30pm.......if that is any indicator of the conditions around the Tug.

Not sure how many are planning to stay at Freeman but I told Shaun (the care-taker/inn-keeper) that i was assuming 5 definites to stay Weds-Sunday. Anybody else?

NY AttakGT
RX1-Man
Viperman
BlueRtx
BBW (I am assuming)

Here are some picks in and around the Hill from TODAY. Sure looks pretty ride-able to me!

Attachments

• from ripper 448.jpg
    from ripper 448.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 135
  • from ripper 452.jpg
    from ripper 452.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 145
  • from ripper 462.jpg
    from ripper 462.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 144
  • from ripper 469.jpg
    from ripper 469.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 136
I just watched the weather tonight, and they are calling for rain monday and tuesday heavy, with temp up to 45 so I say No-way to the WNY ride. They say more lake effect weds thurs and friday, but I don't want to chance it. So count me into the freeman steve.

anyone have some directions for me? Thanks! What times are ya gonna shoot for on weds?

Steve,

Yes, please post some details on staying at the Freeman. I've only ridden there on the sled. I believe it's on Swancott Mill Road? How far from Osceola Road (Rte. 46?)? You have to bring all your own stuff for the beds right? Can't believe googling this place comes up with nothing but some Sledfreak videos, and no other details.

Departure times of 9:00AM?

Ya Steve, details! I only drove there once, GPS found it. I'm assuming this is a cash only operation, thus the low profile and lack of advertising ;)!

I will post some information here and also start a new post on our ride. I guess from the consensus we will move the ride to Tug Hill and stay at the 5 star hotel that steve suggests called the Freeman. The Freeman telephone # 315-942-5682. Maybe steve will post what you need to bring to this hotel. The ride will take place from Wed Jan.18th-Sat.Jan 21st. Of course you can always stay and ride Sunday if you want to. There is ridable snow, most trails have been groomed, but it will be hard to ride off the hill because of lack of snow. That being said we will probably be riding the same trails a lot of the time. If anyone is reading this post for the first time and thinking of coming, all are welcome, but we usually ride at a moderate to fast pace, but we also try to be safe. To give time for everyone to get there, we will start our ride at 10 AM on Wed morning, hopefully we will be riding by 10:30, and probably about 9:30 the other days. Come for all 4 days if you can but if you can only come for 1 day, that would be great also. The Freeman is located just off the Osceola Rd., on Gallo rd., about half way between West Lyden, and Osceola. If coming from West Lyden, heading West it is a right hand turn on to Gallo Rd. and as soon you turn the hotel will be on your left. Of course if you are coming from Osceola and heading East you would make a left hand turn on to Gallo rd. The Freeman does not look like a Hotel or Motel, but rather like a big old farm house. Here is the Weather forecast for the next few days. Snow tonight (Mon. night) changing to sleet and freezing rain by morning, the some rain tomorrow changing back to snow in the evening. Should get about 2" of snow before it changes to rain, which should absorb the rain so we don't lose too much base. Lake effect snow on Wed. , however I think most will be down around the Syracuse area. The high on Wed will be in the 20's dropping into the teens. Light snow on Thursday, in the mid 20"s. A few snow squalls on Friday with highs in the teens. A few snow showers on Saturday with highs in the upper 20's to around 30. Any other questions ask here or give me a call at 315-827-4802. See you soon.

Gordon

BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
Viperman. I don't get your post. Clue me in.

Just a feeble attempt at harmless humor. However, I have been told I have a warped sense of humor. No harm, no foul.....LOL.

:-o

Back