• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XS 825 shakedown

fourload

TY 4 Stroke Master
Just got home from a 2 day ride in Old Forge . Ran my sled stock and loaded Powertrail SM also. Last year my stock sled would run consistently about 8800 rpms in most conditions with the 8jp . Very smooth with great belt wear and no belt breaks in over 1500 miles but pretty dirty. My clutching last year consisted of stock weights, 35/39 dalton helix, orange TP primary and orange TP secondary wrapped @40 and TP secondary and primary rollers, 59.5 offset. Never checked alignment with the Hurricane bar.
First day I ran the sled stock with the new XS. After about 20 miles of break in I let her rip. The belt pulled the rpms way down to 8300 rpms from 8800 last year with the JP. They came back slightly to about 8500 after about 100 miles for the day. Clutches were nice and cool.
Second day I loaded Powertrail. 47 seconds later I was up and running. My bud riding a fast 03 firecat watched me in amazement. Back out on the trail I finally found a nice long straight to check rpms. Bang on 8900. Engine had good response down low but a much different nasty tone at full throttle. Gathered speed way faster than stock. Dash was reading 15.9 psi. Could reel in my friends 850 doo beater Firecat easily starting behind him now. Still had my stock like smoothness down low which I like. Clutches were still nice and cool.
This belt is very sticky so adjust your clutching accordingly. I am pretty sure you can use stock weights for a 240-250sm tune if on a budget. Since our #*$&@ winter is going to kill the snow again I will have to wait to test my dalton 70’s to see if I like them better than the stock weights.

Great to share information like this, it seems the XS belt is really changing these setups quite a bit. Lets hope winter shows up soon!

Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping to try an SM tune with an 825 at some point this winter.

Just got home from a 2 day ride in Old Forge . Ran my sled stock and loaded Powertrail SM also. Last year my stock sled would run consistently about 8800 rpms in most conditions with the 8jp . Very smooth with great belt wear and no belt breaks in over 1500 miles but pretty dirty. My clutching last year consisted of stock weights, 35/39 dalton helix, orange TP primary and orange TP secondary wrapped @40 and TP secondary and primary rollers, 59.5 offset. Never checked alignment with the Hurricane bar.
First day I ran the sled stock with the new XS. After about 20 miles of break in I let her rip. The belt pulled the rpms way down to 8300 rpms from 8800 last year with the JP. They came back slightly to about 8500 after about 100 miles for the day. Clutches were nice and cool.
Second day I loaded Powertrail. 47 seconds later I was up and running. My bud riding a fast 03 firecat watched me in amazement. Back out on the trail I finally found a nice long straight to check rpms. Bang on 8900. Engine had good response down low but a much different nasty tone at full throttle. Gathered speed way faster than stock. Dash was reading 15.9 psi. Could reel in my friends 850 doo beater Firecat easily starting behind him now. Still had my stock like smoothness down low which I like. Clutches were still nice and cool.
This belt is very sticky so adjust your clutching accordingly. I am pretty sure you can use stock weights for a 240-250sm tune if on a budget. Since our #*$&@ winter is going to kill the snow again I will have to wait to test my dalton 70’s to see if I like them better than the stock weights.

So you’re saying that stock, the XS brought your R’s down, but once you tuned it..your R’s came right back up again? So the added power of the tune was all it(your sled)needed to bring your R’s back up again with the XS?

So you’re saying that stock, the XS brought your R’s down, but once you tuned it..your R’s came right back up again? So the added power of the tune was all it(your sled)needed to bring your R’s back up again with the XS?
Yes. The belt had the same effect as adding heavier weights. Seems very sticky! The added power of Powertrail bumped the revs about 400 more rpms.

interesting.... I have been on the JP belt since day one. Might have to try the 825.

I'd be intrested to see what Max16 would run with the same clutch set up.

This is almost exactly what happened to me. I went from TD eco trail to TD powertrail and shortly after switched to the XS and I couldn’t believe I didn’t need to add clutch weight. Then I figured it out. This belt is sticky! Good post. And spot on from my experience.

I'd be intrested to see what Max16 would run with the same clutch set up.
I would bet you would be at over 9k with MS 16 being it is 10-20 more than Powertrail’s supposed 250. If you went to a lower rate spring than the stiff orange TP I use it would probably work.

Same results I had both stock and with the multi map. Dtay-1 weights are too heavy for the XS belt at any power level. I will be getting QAY-70 to keep revs up where they need to be. Right now with 8jp they are spot on with power trail at 8800-8850 and about 91-9150 on max 17 but much heat and dust from the 8jp. I’ve abused the same belt for 600+ miles on power trail and so far so good

I would bet you would be at over 9k with MS 16 being it is 10-20 more than Powertrail’s supposed 250. If you went to a lower rate spring than the stiff orange TP I use it would probably work.
I was thinking of using the Dalton YBO in the secondary. I'm not sure how that compares to the TP Orange spring.

I was thinking of using the Dalton YBO in the secondary. I'm not sure how that compares to the TP Orange spring.
I use the orange TP primary and secondary spring. The TP primary spring is pretty stout on rate and finish. I saw somewhere it is like 30/145 kg which gives a nice low smooth engagement of 2700. The TP secondary spring is stout also but pretty close to others when wrapped at 40. To lower your rpms I would just try a spring with a lower finish number and rate. Something like a b/s/b Yamaha 35/101 could bring your rpms down some.

I am running the xs825 belt and the stock 35 helix with TP orange secondary spring.
I cranked that spring to 3-3.
When I let off from full throttle at 80mph it will back shift so fast and hard it will momentarily stall the engine. Backing off the spring wrap took care of that.
A shallow helix and a stiff spring with a grippy belt makes an abrupt backshift.
Also running TP primary orange spring and weights at 72.6 grams on hurricane 270r tune.
Took some weight out of the mid on weights and now at 70.7 grams. Just a tad too light now but
Going to put in a steeper helix than 35 and try again at 50° wrap in secondary.

Same results I had both stock and with the multi map. Dtay-1 weights are too heavy for the XS belt at any power level. I will be getting QAY-70 to keep revs up where they need to be. Right now with 8jp they are spot on with power trail at 8800-8850 and about 91-9150 on max 17 but much heat and dust from the 8jp. I’ve abused the same belt for 600+ miles on power trail and so far so good

Just grind a couple grams off the back of the weights.

:dunno:

You guys got more money than......

Back