• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha has given me no choice.... I'm going with SkiDoo!

yamahamaniac said:
Yes, yes very stupid teen. (says the 18 year old) I like my 4 stroke, atleast the only maintenance I have to do is body work and I'm not getting pulled out of the woods all the time and plucking her motor out every second week.

I have about 4000 miles in two seasons on my Cat and it has still not left me out there in the woods once. So the thing about every second week is kind of... BS.

I have standard maintenance with new oil in the DD and new spark plugs. Nothing else except belts, gas and oil. I drive kind of extreme, not jumping an so on but lots of boondocking and deep snow.

I ride my 4 Stroke for many reasons, among them easy maintenance, longevity, reliability, ect. But the MAIN two reasons I don't like 2 Strokes are the smell and smoke and up until recently, every two stroke I rode felt like I was riding a big chainsaw. The Vibration, the Noise, the Instability, and the Peaky Powerband all made me feel like I was going down the trail on the back of a chainsaw... But the new 2 Strokes don't feel like that to me anymore. They feel solid and smooth and very stable, and with the introduction of the new 2011 SkiDoo Etec (which I have ridden), now even the smell and smoke are gone. So I'm giving it a try. I too will hear A LOT of razzing from all my 2 Stroke buddies, but I will keep my faithful Blue Baby in case my new Yellow Bi-atch lets me down.

With the every second week statement I'm referring to those ticking time Boms. I like cats, they are my first choice if I ever leave Yamaha. I plan on keeping my rx-1 to mod it a nice bit but I will need a new sled someday and if Yamaha keeps making shiat mountain sleds than I'm gonna need to go to something else then aren't I.

Good stuff Maverick. I for one do not bleed BLUE and recognize the value of competition. If Ski-Doo hits a home run with the Etec 800 I'd consider it as well. Sounds like it's gonna be a fun sled to ride. Good luck and stick around and let us know how it holds up.

PS. I had 2 REV's...they were fun as hell to ride.

maverick said:
I ride my 4 Stroke for many reasons, among them easy maintenance, longevity, reliability, ect. But the MAIN two reasons I don't like 2 Strokes are the smell and smoke and up until recently, every two stroke I rode felt like I was riding a big chainsaw. The Vibration, the Noise, the Instability, and the Peaky Powerband all made me feel like I was going down the trail on the back of a chainsaw... But the new 2 Strokes don't feel like that to me anymore. They feel solid and smooth and very stable, and with the introduction of the new 2011 SkiDoo Etec (which I have ridden), now even the smell and smoke are gone. So I'm giving it a try. I too will hear A LOT of razzing from all my 2 Stroke buddies, but I will keep my faithful Blue Baby in case my new Yellow Bi-atch lets me down.

they are sic to ride. But I rode two demos on them. The second demo the sleds has 1500-2800 miles on them. They had 4 800etecs and 2 600etecs. Within a months time and the mileage posted ahead two 800 etecs lost their crank bearings and grenaded the motors, and one 600 etec did the same. So thats basically a 50% chance your new 2-stroke etec will leave you with thousands in rebuild bills.. I like doos dont get me wrong, but after 5 years away from yamaha I came back for a reason..
When they run they are fun though.

Great discussion guys :)

Please keep it civil without bashing, I would hate to see a post with great info on mountain sleds from the big 4 go down the drain.

I hope Yamaha will be back for 2012 with a M sled with their new powerplant inside..... or maybe something completely new, they can do it.

OK..Marveric..the etec is no smell,and no life..One friend has blowen the thing at 2400...he beats it.but he says other doos are doing the same..you need smell and smoke.. or for me its too lean..this grease thing I believe wont work.
Like Gotjuice said...Yamaha is a submarine..lol..its true..dont let go of the gas.without turbo or charger..I am ashamed to say this ..but..when we went for our last ride this year.I got the chance to ride a mountain cat...F---K...what a sled..it looks great and really goes up the hill fast..and in a wheele.. ;):D ..but..this is the reason I am putting a stage -2 on my sled ;)! ..lol..but right out of the box..yammie has no chance... :drink: :drink:
but I bought mine for dependabillity and turn the key...lol.. :tg:
:4STroke:

Maxout01 said:
maverick said:

they are sic to ride. But I rode two demos on them. The second demo the sleds has 1500-2800 miles on them. They had 4 800etecs and 2 600etecs. Within a months time and the mileage posted ahead two 800 etecs lost their crank bearings and grenaded the motors, and one 600 etec did the same. So thats basically a 50% chance your new 2-stroke etec will leave you with thousands in rebuild bills.. I like doos dont get me wrong, but after 5 years away from yamaha I came back for a reason..
When they run they are fun though.

Guys and Gals, I am not completely giving-up on Yamaha. But in light of the fact that Yamaha has given-up on their 'Big Gun' mountain sled (Apex), I'm simply going to test the waters of SkiDoo's new 800 Etech. I have already had the chance to ride the 2011 proto-type this past season and I LOVED it. I have no personal experience with SkiDoo's reliability (or lack there of) which many people have commented on in this thread. But once again, that's what warranties (3 years on the motor) and back-up sleds (07 Apex minus #100) are for. And, if Yamaha comes back with a brand new, King of the Hill mountain sled in the years to come, I'll be happy to plop-down a deposit on one of those as well. Who knows? The fact that I am jumping from the 'Yamaha Ship' (along with others) may prompt 'Big Blue' to rethink their decision to dump the Apex.
Variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes, and I for one am not afraid of change. Change is good in my opinion... it can be violent, but ultimately Change is good. Remember, Change is what brought us our beloved four-strokes in the first place. It wasn't that long ago that many of us were thinking Yamaha was CRAZY for introducing the RX1. But I was one of the first ones on the mountain with one of those, and now I'm gonna give the new SkiDoo a try. If it sucks or is a pile of crap like many here are suggesting, then I will freely (and loudly) admit it. You guys here will hear it first. Besides, it's not permanent like heart transplant surgery, if I hate it or it blows-up, I'll just ride my trusty Apex! ;):D

:) looking forward to get some real life info on how the Doo rides, hope it serves you well :)

Well just had my first ride downunder (bad snow season so far) and love my new mods. The timbersled rear works well but does have a vibration. Think its the no idler wheels I'll have to get used to.
My left hand throttle also has given me problems with the tors so that's disconnected for now.
Hopefull for new snow soon so I can get that sled sideways :)

niko.

Congrats you wont be disspointed! The 800etec is one hell of a motor!

I was talking with the local Yami dealer here in Missoula Montana about either stretching our 06 GT or buying a Apex MT. I did tell him how much I love Yamaha and how they have NEVER left us out in the cold, but I also told him that Yamaha is REALLY dropping the ball. Cat's 4 stroke has 177HP and their new 800HO is coming in at 163.1hp. Now compare that to the Apex or Nytro and buying something else is kind of a no brainer. Thats why yesterday I visited the Cat dealer for a new 800 HCR or Sno Pro 153". I have a good feeling that after my father tries it he will be right behind me. We do plan on keeping both the Apex and Doo, but they will need some upgrades as soon as possible. I hope we can one day return to blue, but Yami is going to have to make some serious changes.

pure

P.S. Good luck and remember its all in the maintenance.

Fairly new guy here but...

I was reading in the new Supertrax magazine that Yamaha is now offering dealer installed 50hp boost kits for the Nytro MTX's (thereby making it a 180 hp rocket). Would that change anybody's mind on "leaving" yamaha? I'm currently trying to decide if I want to trade in my 08 phazer mtx for an 08 Apex MTX SE that's sitting at the local dealership. The Apex looks cherry as hell, but I'm thinking a 162 track in the flat, no real snow in the last 2 years northern Minnesota area where I'm at might be a bit ridiculous...

Back