• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MrUpNorth

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper
My 2014 SR Viper LTX has had 2 starter/gear replacements and now on third that continues to have hard cold starts and kickbacks. I had to pick my sled up after the last repair and the dealer could replicate the kickback/start issues. Nearly 10 months of wait for a supposed new flash update and nothing. Dealers getting BS from Yamaha corporate. Corporate telling them it's coming soon. Per my conversation and case I have opened up at Yamaha Cust Support they acknowledge the problem but have NO fix or solution. I would love this sled if it actually worked and was reliable. However it gets a F-! Zero reliability! So I made a YouTube video to share this issue that I know others have as well. Why should I ever buy Yamaha again?

Unfortunately, it appears that Cat wears the pants in this relationship. It would behoove Yamaha to have a pow-wow with Cat and send one or a team of their engineers to visit Cat and sit down and evaluate the calibrations in a real world setting. They could discuss things like the rolling/lopey idle, the break up popping and missing off idle, and the inconsistent starting.

If I can take a crude device like a Power Commander and effect change on the rolling idle and the off idle popping I'm sure that they could figure this out...

Yup, evo flash on mine and no issues....starts right up

I had no problems with my 14 but it was turbo'd since day 1. My 15 was horrible but I just turbo'd it and did an EVO flash to raise rev limiter and retard timing at WOT and since it has not done it once.

Yamaha should fix it or replace it. I've used two dealers to get more eyes on it. Each did a starter repair. Yamaha's dealer rep has seen and is aware of sled. The only answer they have is to keep replacing the starter. That is their solution!!! Seriously!!

The relationship between the two companies, has had mixed results. Good and bad, although I wouldn't call it a home run. That's why I didn't buy back in 14.

So I understand that the new gear will not fit in the old motor but will the new one way clutch? If so are you getting the new parts?

So I understand that the new gear will not fit in the old motor but will the new one way clutch? If so are you getting the new parts?
One way wont fit either and it is not a clutch. Proper name for it is oneway bearing. They are not designed to slip ever. Just disengage when motor turns faster than starter. A starter clutch is designed to slip but Yamaha did not see fit to put one in either the old or new motor.

If you get the starter repaired a third time, does that not qualify for a refund due to the "lemon law"?

That's a question we will find out the answer to. But they want my sled out of commission a third time during season to begin that process. Not happening and based on my talking with them it isn't a fast process. Going to limp it along and cross my fingers it fails later in season.

You can fit the newer gear on older engine have doin it myself on my 2016 xtx le and one way is fitting also, you just need to grind a bit of aluminium for the gear to fit. I have an old nytro 2008 engine with mcx270 turbo as the engine in 2016 is bad

My starting problem first starts with the ECU the stalls during start creating kickback, also can turn over the sled repeatedly like getting no ignition at times. I shouldn't have to modify anything myself.

Ofc it's really bad. Had a starter failure last year on my 2015ltx and is not fun. They are not fixing the problem just switch out the things that is broken. It will happen again.

Sorry but reality is that you are losing alot of ride time to this issue. Since Yamaha wont help you have two alternatives. Take your chances and probably lose more ride time or get a PCV which I know can be tuned to give you much better starting or get a new ECU and have it flashed by EVO saving your original unmolested ECU in case warranty coverage is needed again. For me it would be simple because I value ride time more than anything but I would not be posting what I am doing either. Some things are best left unsaid. This is not a normal issue and not all Vipers have this issue with starting or the starter failures. Until Yamaha comes with a solution I see the tune or tuners as the only alternative.

Back