• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

I think that the winder has major issues with servicability and hard steering and in my opinion this is the direct result of 2 different companies building it. What has to be taken apart to change the engine and chaincase oil is ridiculous and not a good long term practice to keep taking these things apart. I honestly dont know what I'm going to do when my XTX wears out. I keep looking at Ski Doo thinking this may be my next move since Yamaha sleds are no more. Incidentally my wife loves her tuner skis on her vector!
Well neither has a drain, and it takes a couple minutes to remove the servo motor. Much ado about nothing.

Well thast nothing, have you taken the exhaust donuts out lately on an Apex? I did today again on my brothers.
LOL....piece of cake....we put copper in a buddies last week, he went for a ride, and the #3 cyl. titanium pipe flange broke off. Comes apart quick the second time!

LOL....piece of cake....we put copper in a buddies last week, he went for a ride, and the #3 cyl. titanium pipe flange broke off. Comes apart quick the second time!
Oh yes, done these on various sleds many times. this girl had the copper donuts in it about 6000kms ago and cracked a stainles flange last week. going with the FXgarage works deal and see what happens. I want to ride not wrench.

Well thast nothing, have you taken the exhaust donuts out lately on an Apex? I did today again on my brothers.
Yes I have done them. However, that's only at like every 8000 miles not every year or 2500 miles. You can't even check chaincase tension on a winder without a massive process.

Yes I have done them. However, that's only at like every 8000 miles not every year or 2500 miles. You can't even check chaincase tension on a winder without a massive process.

Maybe for you, but on my 2007 RTX I had to do donuts once a season, and it sucks no matter how many times you have done it. Changing the oil sucked on my SW the first time. Now that I have learned the tricks, its fairly easy.

You need to put a heavier center shock spring on your SW if you have heavy steering. Or at the very least, tighten the factory spring.

I think we are just frustrated with doing all this stuff on the SW on a regular basis. These machines just take a ton more maintenance to keep in tip top shape, hence we are visiting the difficult areas more often. Typically on my Apex I would do all this stuff in the fall and just get off the machine at the end of a ride. I find myself getting off the SW now and heading into the garage every evening after a ride and messing with things just because I have this fear of something is going to let go. There is this sense that something will go wrong if I don't address right away. Maybe it's my OCD as I have a buddy that that has 10,000kms on his SW that just parks his at the end of the ride and fires it back up the next day with just adding fuel.
These machines just are time consuming to keep looking and running without incident. I have 7500kms on mine and I ride pretty hard and it has never missed a beat, never left me stranded and never needed any parts or warranty work. I attribute that to tons of fine tuning and checking and checking and checking! THESE JUST PLAIN AND SIMPLE ARE NOT A YAMAHA

I will agree that they are not as well built as a Yamaha, but my Dad has 6,000 miles on his STOCK SW with no issues.

I can't help but wonder how many issues would have popped up on the Apex if many folks were running them at 250-270 HP though.

Ridiculous.

I did way more to my Apex and Attak then I've had to do yet on my SideWinder. My Winder is a much better handling sled and has a lot more power. Is Cat engineered closer to the ragged edge? Sure. Most Cat issues are inconsistent assembly due to shitty process and plant management. We (Americans) taught the Japanese this after WWII, hopefully Yam can return the favor to CAT. Whoever is top of Manufacturing or Assembly at Cat should be send down the road to their golden retirement.

I wonder what, if any, insight the Cat release will give us on YAM. CAT is teasing a "new breed". Maybe Alpha skids in trail sleds too. Supposedly the HELO works great on trail sleds, therefore the Alpha probably would also.

Maybe the Alpha with a CF chassis. Probably not, but the weight savings could be revolutionary.

For any of you who think its a good idea for yamaha to buy artic cat you might as well kiss quality and reliability goodbye...this is a fact and the reason it needs to come from japan!!!just walk thru the assembly.line in TFR..if you want margaret and gertrude in charge of building your sled go buy a cat!!!

I think we are just frustrated with doing all this stuff on the SW on a regular basis. These machines just take a ton more maintenance to keep in tip top shape, hence we are visiting the difficult areas more often. Typically on my Apex I would do all this stuff in the fall and just get off the machine at the end of a ride. I find myself getting off the SW now and heading into the garage every evening after a ride and messing with things just because I have this fear of something is going to let go. There is this sense that something will go wrong if I don't address right away. Maybe it's my OCD as I have a buddy that that has 10,000kms on his SW that just parks his at the end of the ride and fires it back up the next day with just adding fuel.
These machines just are time consuming to keep looking and running without incident. I have 7500kms on mine and I ride pretty hard and it has never missed a beat, never left me stranded and never needed any parts or warranty work. I attribute that to tons of fine tuning and checking and checking and checking! THESE JUST PLAIN AND SIMPLE ARE NOT A YAMAHA
This stuff could be debated till the cows come home, but I rode the all-Yamaha models for many years, and what I have noticed is there is actually less regular maintenance since the all-Yamaha models needed almost yearly work on suspension components and exhaust. Really, the only weak area on the Winder is the chaincase and the bearing on the left side not fastened to the shaft.

FYI, the 2020 Cat's are out. The only sled in the whole lineup with a Yamaha motor is the 2020 Thundercat.

So, will the 2020 Yamaha be an SRX only? Or will Yamaha be offering their own sleds again? Or perhaps. the 2020 Yamaha's will be rebadged 4 stroke and 2 stroke Cats?

Back