• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

Seems as though the AC/Yamaha relationship is now down to AC only using one Yamaha engine, the 998T. I guess to be technically correct, they still share the snowscoot engine. but it seems as though at least from AC prospective, AC has reduced its need for Yamaha.

Seems as though the AC/Yamaha relationship is now down to AC only using one Yamaha engine, the 998T. I guess to be technically correct, they still share the snowscoot engine. but it seems as though at least from AC prospective, AC has reduced its need for Yamaha.
The only hang up on that is the “Special pricing coming March 5th”, why are they waiting for the Yamaha release date for that? Best guess is the stockpile of 1049’s has been depleted and something else is in that gap now, for both manufacturers.

The only hang up on that is the “Special pricing coming March 5th”, why are they waiting for the Yamaha release date for that? Best guess is the stockpile of 1049’s has been depleted and something else is in that gap now, for both manufacturers.

This kind of statement comes up every year. "They are holding back a model because..." Never happens. Not going to happen this year. Pricing is always the last thing to get finalized. Let the "Something big is coming in 2021" posts begin.

This kind of statement comes up every year. "They are holding back a model because..." Never happens. Not going to happen this year. Pricing is always the last thing to get finalized. Let the "Something big is coming in 2021" posts begin.
The only thing that makes me think something is different this year is Yamaha had a picture of a viper that said triple on it. Maybe it is a different triple this time and that is why no cat 4 stroke and they are waiting till March 5th the same day Yamaha releases their lineup.

Here's a good read from SnowTech that gives the lowdown on the new Cats along with their gutsy decision to follow Yamaha's inventory plan from 2019:

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2020-arctic-cat/

Here's another quote that explains Cat's marketing strategy for 2020:

That’s all good, but the unveiling of new sleds came with a notably smaller lineup and this stunning announcement penned by Craig Kennedy, the VP in charge of Arctic Cat snowmobiles:

“Another purchasing mind shift for consumers will be the buying cycle,” Kennedy wrote. “Arctic Cat will only offer our 2020s as Spring Guarantee models. To state it simply, if consumers don’t put their money down before April 30, they won’t be able to purchase a 2020 Arctic Cat in season.”

Kennedy also promised a new pricing strategy that will be unveiled on March 5.

Interesting times for sure these days in the snowmobile industry.

The only thing that makes me think something is different this year is Yamaha had a picture of a viper that said triple on it. Maybe it is a different triple this time and that is why no cat 4 stroke and they are waiting till March 5th the same day Yamaha releases their lineup.

Yeah, I saw that same photo. It's someones Viper on here that has a nice wrap on it. Not a spy photo.

Cat and Yamaha seem to be moving towards customers wanting a new sled will have to order it in the spring receive it in the fall, no more showrooms full of sleds for us to go and look at a sled that interests you, basically getting rid of the ski kickers wasting the dealers time, if you want to sit on or ride a sled and ask questions you will have to go to a dealer demo day, there they will have their new models on display for you to ride and ask questions and sign up the serious buyer's for ordering, this will get rid of the holding over of last year models at dealerships and taking a loss on the leftover just to get it out of their inventory, there is just to many different sled categories now to have them all on display, cheaper to give you a brochure a vid site and a invite to a demo day.

Cat and Yamaha seem to be moving towards customers wanting a new sled will have to order it in the spring receive it in the fall, no more showrooms full of sleds for us to go and look at a sled that interests you, basically getting rid of the ski kickers wasting the dealers time, if you want to sit on or ride a sled and ask questions you will have to go to a dealer demo day, there they will have their new models on display for you to ride and ask questions and sign up the serious buyer's for ordering, this will get rid of the holding over of last year models at dealerships and taking a loss on the leftover just to get it out of their inventory, there is just to many different sled categories now to have them all on display, cheaper to give you a brochure a vid site and a invite to a demo day.
You state a lot that I agree with to hold down overhead. I won’t buy any sled without seeing it and having a demo ride. Sitting on a model in a show
Room means so much to me. If the sitting position isn’t right for me that’s the end right there so difficult to even consider buying without the real model on the floor. I’m in process of buying anew sled now after having Yamaha’s for 14 years. No ideal what I’m going to do but my purchase will be a 4s and NOT an AC. Come on Yamaha impress me I don’t want a divorce and I won’t be sledless for long!

If you haven't had a chance to ride a Viper or Sidewinder yet you can't be all that serious about buying a new snowmachine. If your waiting for something different from Yamaha for this year you might want to start looking at other manufacturers.You can always go to the nearest Ski Doo dealer and jump up and down on one in the show room.

If you haven't had a chance to ride a Viper or Sidewinder yet you can't be all that serious about buying a new snowmachine. If your waiting for something different from Yamaha for this year you might want to start looking at other manufacturers.You can always go to the nearest Ski Doo dealer and jump up and down on one in the show room.
Plenty of miles on SW and Viper liked SW more but don’t need 200 hp Viper not enough. Used to have Apex xtx and would buy another but obviously not manufactured anymore. Everybody will need to move on to something new from Apex or Vector some day.

Plenty of miles on SW and Viper liked SW more but don’t need 200 hp Viper not enough. Used to have Apex xtx and would buy another but obviously not manufactured anymore. Everybody will need to move on to something new from Apex or Vector some day.
Viper is not enough in stock, new with low miles form. Break it in and a bunch will be gained. Clutch kit, can, and intake mod will make it run with most stock 800s. Vipers can be bought in the $6,000 range, add $750 in mods and for less than half the cost of a new sled you will have enough for most riding.

Totally agree WillowAce Vipers run very strong with just a little clutch and suspension work. The thing I don't understand is how can you have a snowmachine with to much power just because the Sidewinder has 200hp doesn't mean you need to use it but it sure is nice to know it's there if ya need it. Any how back to the viper before I put the turbo kit on mine i had a kit that I got from Ullmer. It came with clutch kit,intake filters,and power camander. All said and done it would put a hurting on my 08 Apex up to 80 mph and how often do you go that fast? If you do then the Winder is where it's at. I did get a chance to ride a 2018 Viper the performance was a lot better than my 2014 when it was new. There are some good deals on left over Vipers and I would not hesitate to buy one if i was in the market for another snowmachine.

This addresses the overstock problem but it doesn't solve the problem. IMO the reason there are dealers with excess inventory is because there is not enough demand for the product being sold at the price they are asking for it. I'm not opposed to changing the way sled are bought, but it has been a huge challenge for Yamaha in the past even have brochures available and the show and none at the dealers weeks later. Accessory catalogs or availability have been slim to none. Organizing a demo day at a dealership not knowing when they will have snow will be hit or miss at best. Asking questions to the dealer or salesman who typically know less about the sleds than an educated consumer without having the ability to actually look at the sled does not inspire me to put $15,000 in a dealers hand. If what you describe becomes reality, there will need to be lots of changes at a lot of levels and we all know people are really opposed to change.

I think introducing the new sleds in the fall for delivery in the following fall would help significantly. The dealers only would have demo sleds before they are available to the consumer during winter after the fall season introduction. This way manufactures would have to have everything ready to go the fall before you would actually take delivery of the sled. Brochures would be done and accessories designed. Sled specifications completed (subject to change based on feedback from dealer demos). You would have to place order by April 1st for delivery in fall. This would require the manufacture to "get their #*$&@ together" before requiring the consumer to plunk down lots of money for a product they have not been able to see/ride.

Viper is not enough in stock, new with low miles form. Break it in and a bunch will be gained. Clutch kit, can, and intake mod will make it run with most stock 800s. Vipers can be bought in the $6,000 range, add $750 in mods and for less than half the cost of a new sled you will have enough for most riding.
I luv my Yamaha dealer but didn’t like the Viper at all and I’ll add risers , STs, bags ,windshields and prestudded tracks but I don’t clutch or add aftermarket turbos not interested not a wrencher at my age. Tray I don’t know how old you are but I’m in my 70s and time to tone it down. That’s difficult to do with 200 hp under my thumb I’ll use it andwould rather not. For what ever reason I felt more comfortable on the SW than the Viper but I’m not paying for all that hp when I don’t want it. Viper not for me maybe sometime new for 2020????

Back