• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

Interesting read on Country Cat’s website on a spring order turbo kit for there 800 ctec2 motor.Ball bearing turbo and no piggyback controller. Flash stock ecu and install.

I am with Sasquatch on this. I love my apex I loved it even more when I had a SC on it in every aspect but the fuel millage and eventually reliability. I did purchase a sidewinder because I always said if Yamaha made a factory turbo I would be on board for that. I was worried about Cat build quality and so far I am impressed with the sled with most everything but fit and finish which is not terrible and I can live with that but I miss my power steering big time. makes me mad to buy a sled in the teens of thousands and have to correct things like poor skis. the ride quality is amazing the power is amazing but I still have not sold my apex and I am strongly considering selling the winder because it is so terrible in the steering department. I have done everything I can to lighten up the front end but now am at the point of having to invest in different skis.
back to my point if Yamaha came out with a jack shaft driven super charger I think that could be amazing the apex stock has all it can do to put traction to the ground at take off as it is. It is in no way a slouch off the line and from then on it would be under boost to increase from there. I think it would be loved by lake racers as the faster you go the longer the legs will get. I think it would be great on the trail as you are always moving on the trail so you would always have at least a little more than NA apex. I think it would be great in the steep and deep as when you are on the throttle powering through the jack shaft would be turning at a high rate and providing full boost. I think it would cost less HP this way as well due to mechanical advantage of the gear reduction on the motor and the clutches. I love the 4 hole apex motor too. I was in love with the XTX suspension until I rode the Winder. I personally would love to see a new chassis that preforms as well or better than the pro-cross that either comes with power steering or absolutely has no need for it. I would like to have the apex motor or better yet the cross plane motor in it I would like either 200 HP NA or a jackshaft driven super charger pulling about 220 HP top end. I would love it if they kept the qsr3 shocks on the sled because them are amazing. I would love it to come from the factory 100% ready to ride meaning I don't have any must upgrade or improves on the sled. I like to add to my sled and make them my own with extras that I like but I want to have the money to do that because I didn't have to fix what should have been done in the first place. I would also want it to include the heated seat never thought I would care either way about that but when I rode 50 miles back to camp at -25 F it was quite nice to have to stand up from time to time to cool off because the seat was so hot. And most of all I want Yamaha durability.

There is also a broken record playing here!!!

I agree there is a certain select group that wants a turbo, there is also a certain select group that does not! Questions where asked and answered, there are two sides to every argument and I think Yamaha did a good job on their design of the 998T.

As this is a speculation thread about what people want and why, simple answers seem to be incorrect! I like turbos and I don't like turbos go out the window! But what it is about is speculation and thought based on what Yamaha has done and could do if they get up off their asses!

I think a jackshaft supercharger is interesting in design and I can see benefits, especially in a cruiser style engine! We can argue which is better in every given aspect of its design with all known drawbacks, this is what a speculation thread is about and I welcome it! Turbo has its place, NA has its place and now we have a patent for a interesting at rest pressure delivery device that does not deliver boost till the sled moves.

Interesting in concept and would increase part throttle response at cruise speed and increase top end power! As a low pressure device under hood is way down and power to drive it is minimal at cruise! No more then the Yamacharger and without the low hanging wheel! I like it!

I think most can agree if Yamaha wants to stay in the market, it needs to build sleds! If they don't then what happens in 2020 or 21 or beyond is up to Textron and at their discretion! I think 2019 is their hand in the mix!

[ I have done everything I can to lighten up the front end but now am at the point of having to invest in different skis.
I hear or read good things of Barn of Part Mechanical Steering if you like the rest of the sled.

[ I have done everything I can to lighten up the front end but now am at the point of having to invest in different skis.
I hear or read good things of Barn of Part Mechanical Steering if you like the rest of the sled.
You want to lighten up the front end of your sled, encourage Yamaha to bring back the triple two strokes..........lol
Wishful thinking on my part..........

You want to lighten up the front end of your sled, encourage Yamaha to bring back the triple two strokes..........lol
Wishful thinking on my part..........
I would be all over that, miss that sweet sound

I am with Sasquatch on this. I love my apex I loved it even more when I had a SC on it in every aspect but the fuel millage and eventually reliability. I did purchase a sidewinder because I always said if Yamaha made a factory turbo I would be on board for that. I was worried about Cat build quality and so far I am impressed with the sled with most everything but fit and finish which is not terrible and I can live with that but I miss my power steering big time. makes me mad to buy a sled in the teens of thousands and have to correct things like poor skis. the ride quality is amazing the power is amazing but I still have not sold my apex and I am strongly considering selling the winder because it is so terrible in the steering department. I have done everything I can to lighten up the front end but now am at the point of having to invest in different skis.
back to my point if Yamaha came out with a jack shaft driven super charger I think that could be amazing the apex stock has all it can do to put traction to the ground at take off as it is. It is in no way a slouch off the line and from then on it would be under boost to increase from there. I think it would be loved by lake racers as the faster you go the longer the legs will get. I think it would be great on the trail as you are always moving on the trail so you would always have at least a little more than NA apex. I think it would be great in the steep and deep as when you are on the throttle powering through the jack shaft would be turning at a high rate and providing full boost. I think it would cost less HP this way as well due to mechanical advantage of the gear reduction on the motor and the clutches. I love the 4 hole apex motor too. I was in love with the XTX suspension until I rode the Winder. I personally would love to see a new chassis that preforms as well or better than the pro-cross that either comes with power steering or absolutely has no need for it. I would like to have the apex motor or better yet the cross plane motor in it I would like either 200 HP NA or a jackshaft driven super charger pulling about 220 HP top end. I would love it if they kept the qsr3 shocks on the sled because them are amazing. I would love it to come from the factory 100% ready to ride meaning I don't have any must upgrade or improves on the sled. I like to add to my sled and make them my own with extras that I like but I want to have the money to do that because I didn't have to fix what should have been done in the first place. I would also want it to include the heated seat never thought I would care either way about that but when I rode 50 miles back to camp at -25 F it was quite nice to have to stand up from time to time to cool off because the seat was so hot. And most of all I want Yamaha durability.

I know it is different, but essentially the same. I have set up two Vipers with the standard Arctic Cat skis and semi-aggressive Snow Trackers. My wife has a Vector with power steering, and the Vipers are just as easy to steer. The Snow Trackers hold the line in corners with little or no push and no darting. If I had a turbo, I probably would go with the aggressive Snow Trackers. I run a Viper XTX with SLP skis and 9" Bergstrom triple points; it handles great, but it does take some effort to steer, unless you are on the throttle! I get on the Viper with the Snow Trackers, and I feel like I can steer it with one finger. It does mean "new skis", but the Arctic Cat skis are cheap, and the Snow Trackers will last as long as you own the sled.

I am a huge fan of snowtrackers on my third set on my apex. my 2012 apex has never had anything but snowtrackers on it. I had the dealer install the snowtrackers for the tuner skis on the sidewinder after he convinced me they were the way to go on the sidewinder. I could not be much more disappointed in the steering of this sled it is so snow condition dependent it is unreal. In just the perfect snow condition it is the perfect set up. I had one day this season like that and the conditions changed before that day was even over but man it was great for about 200 miles. the rest of the season was touch and go. I know the tuners suck I told the dealer I didn't want them to begin with but my history with snowtrackers allowed me to be convinced that it would be good. I guess you just cant fix stupid cause them tuner skis are just plain stupid... Thanks Yamaha. I just hate the fact that I now have to spend hundreds on skis and the over a hundred more on carbides again. Seriously the tuners have been out for years now and they have redesigned them twice and they still suck. Skis have been around a long time now and the aftermarket has so many options you would think an oem would be able to produce something at least worth the plastic they are made out of. I have invested so much time and money into my apex that I kind of just would rather keep it and reinvest in 2020 if Yamaha can produce something of interest. then again what is another 500 bucks to fix a known problem.

I am a huge fan of snowtrackers on my third set on my apex. my 2012 apex has never had anything but snowtrackers on it. I had the dealer install the snowtrackers for the tuner skis on the sidewinder after he convinced me they were the way to go on the sidewinder. I could not be much more disappointed in the steering of this sled it is so snow condition dependent it is unreal. In just the perfect snow condition it is the perfect set up. I had one day this season like that and the conditions changed before that day was even over but man it was great for about 200 miles. the rest of the season was touch and go. I know the tuners suck I told the dealer I didn't want them to begin with but my history with snowtrackers allowed me to be convinced that it would be good. I guess you just cant fix stupid cause them tuner skis are just plain stupid... Thanks Yamaha. I just hate the fact that I now have to spend hundreds on skis and the over a hundred more on carbides again. Seriously the tuners have been out for years now and they have redesigned them twice and they still suck. Skis have been around a long time now and the aftermarket has so many options you would think an oem would be able to produce something at least worth the plastic they are made out of. I have invested so much time and money into my apex that I kind of just would rather keep it and reinvest in 2020 if Yamaha can produce something of interest. then again what is another 500 bucks to fix a known problem.

We have gotten side-tracked talking about Tuner skis in a thread speculating about 2020, but in a way I think that the discussion is actually relevant. As the Yamaha "faithful" we are all waiting around for a pronouncement from Yamaha that convinces us they will be here in 2020, and that they will have product worth our loyalty. We have been talking about Yamaha's "commitment" to snowmobiling, etc., etc. Maybe we shouldn't look any further than the Tuner ski to determine how real Yamaha's commitment is to snowmobiling. It was designed for the deltabox chassis, and by most accounts, it improved the handling of those specific sleds. They were never designed for the Pro Cross chassis; in fact in the first year of the "Yamacat", they all used Arctic Cat's OEM skis, and they handled fine. Put a pair of Snow Trackers on them, and they handled great! So why did Yamaha feel the need to change something that worked and put on a set of their own proprietary skis that just didn't work on the Pro Cross sleds? How much would it have actually cost Yamaha to keep the Cat skis on their sleds? Do they have a warehouse somewhere in Japan that is overflowing with Tuner skis that they have to get rid of? If they were "committed" to us, their loyal snowmobile customers, they never would have tried to force the Tuners down our throats. Like everyone has said, it is ridiculous to pay $13,000-18,000for a sled and know that you are going to have to spend another $500 plus on a set of skis just to make it safe to ride. Let's hope that if Yamaha is here in 2020, and if they have their new designs, whatever they may be, that the Tuner ski is not part of it!

I've been team blue ever since since a young kid and alway felt confident in the brand, reliability being the most important quality ! Yamaha always had a model that filled the requirement that what I was looking for until now ! I'm not much of a trail rider, most of my riding is off trail breaking trails and looking for new grounds to discover, usaully carrying a fair amount of equipment every time I venture out! Being from up here in Newfoundland not everybody wants and can afford a $21,000 sidewinder with 200 h.p . So all the talk about Yamaha retooling doesn't get my hopes up, especially when other brands offer a wide array of sleds in every category that doesn't cost 20,000 cdn! The point that I'm making here is not everybody wants a Porsche, there are a lot of us who want a good trusty pick up to tackle any job or terrain and have fun doing so! I will hang on to my current sled for another year or so, if Yamaha doesn't respond with something creditable, it will be a time for change! Hoping that if I see something in the near future , will prove to me that yamaha actually reads the comments posted by Yamaha loyalists on this great site!!!! Cheers!

Last edited:
We have gotten side-tracked talking about Tuner skis in a thread speculating about 2020, but in a way I think that the discussion is actually relevant. As the Yamaha "faithful" we are all waiting around for a pronouncement from Yamaha that convinces us they will be here in 2020, and that they will have product worth our loyalty. We have been talking about Yamaha's "commitment" to snowmobiling, etc., etc. Maybe we shouldn't look any further than the Tuner ski to determine how real Yamaha's commitment is to snowmobiling. It was designed for the deltabox chassis, and by most accounts, it improved the handling of those specific sleds. They were never designed for the Pro Cross chassis; in fact in the first year of the "Yamacat", they all used Arctic Cat's OEM skis, and they handled fine. Put a pair of Snow Trackers on them, and they handled great! So why did Yamaha feel the need to change something that worked and put on a set of their own proprietary skis that just didn't work on the Pro Cross sleds? How much would it have actually cost Yamaha to keep the Cat skis on their sleds? Do they have a warehouse somewhere in Japan that is overflowing with Tuner skis that they have to get rid of? If they were "committed" to us, their loyal snowmobile customers, they never would have tried to force the Tuners down our throats. Like everyone has said, it is ridiculous to pay $13,000-18,000for a sled and know that you are going to have to spend another $500 plus on a set of skis just to make it safe to ride. Let's hope that if Yamaha is here in 2020, and if they have their new designs, whatever they may be, that the Tuner ski is not part of it!

I agree most people hate the tuner ski! Single keel aggressive snowtrackers they just work!

Or he could just squeeze the throttle lol. Besides that...a triple ain't that light.

Squeezing the throttle is never a bad thing when riding any Yamaha.....!!

Back