• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

The last I heard my dealer isnt bringing in any 2019's.Theyre just sticking with the 17 and 18's they have left over.Im not sure how many they have but there are a few on the showroom and you can see a dozen or so crates out back.The state of Yamaha sleds is pretty bad here.Its hard to sell a Yamaha in a private sale.The trade in value is low too,even at the Yamaha dealer.The Bombardier dealership won't take any on trade.The Cat/Polaris dealership will consider a Viper but from what I can see you won't get much and they sell them for real cheap,even the turbos.They absolutely refuse any other Yamaha,they specifically mentioned the Apex and Nytro.

I wonder why it is such an issue in NB? With the exchange rate, the cost of Vipers and Sidewinders must be out of sight; it is probably much cheaper to buy a Skidoo that is made in-country? I have never ridden in NB, but I do ride in Quebec some, and I have been shocked at how many Vipers and Sidewinders I have seen on the trails, especially the Sidewinders. I wonder if the Quebec Yamaha dealers are having the same issues as those in NB?

I wonder why it is such an issue in NB? With the exchange rate, the cost of Vipers and Sidewinders must be out of sight; it is probably much cheaper to buy a Skidoo that is made in-country? I have never ridden in NB, but I do ride in Quebec some, and I have been shocked at how many Vipers and Sidewinders I have seen on the trails, especially the Sidewinders. I wonder if the Quebec Yamaha dealers are having the same issues as those in NB?

Vipers and Sidewinders are cheaper in NB than in Ontario by up to a couple of grand depending on model (just looking at Kijiji). Typically the prices in Canada are equal or higher, even for Canadian made goods. This is largely due to the fact that the companies set the US dollar as the business benchmark, and since the companies do not want to play the foreign exchange game they pick a benchmark that is relatively high to maximize profit, meaning that they will pick an exchange rate number that has a relatively large delta (1$ US = .70 CDN as an exaggeration). Also, the parts for these sleds are often manufactured offshore so the cost of goods is equal in both places and the biggest difference in manufacturing costs comes in labor rates and incentives (tax rebates). Also, the Canadian dealers don't play as much of a discount game. This is true across all goods, not just snowmobiles. A sale in Canada is 'save the tax' while a sale in the US is typically much bigger (again, in general, across all goods). The US dealers can also move more inventory and can be very aggressive in pricing. Couple the benchmark rate at the US dollar and add Canadian taxes (%15 in NB, 13% in Ontario) and you end up paying more in Canada.

Below is using todays exchange rate of .79 CAD to 1 USD

NB - 2018 Sidewinder B-TX - 16.8k to 17.1k CAD or USD 13.2k to 13.6k : OR : 17k CAD + sales tax (15%) = 19.5k CAD or $15.5k USD
ON - 2018 Sidewinder B-TX - 17.2k to 18.9k CAD or USD 13.6k to 15k : OR : 18.1k CAD + Sales tax (13%0 = 20.4k CAD or $16.2k USD

Port Yamaha - 2018 Sidewinder B-TX - 13.5k USD + Sales tax at ~5% = 14.2k USD out the door (no further discounts) : OR : 17.8k CAD

Vipers and Sidewinders are cheaper in NB than in Ontario by up to a couple of grand depending on model (just looking at Kijiji). Typically the prices in Canada are equal or higher, even for Canadian made goods. This is largely due to the fact that the companies set the US dollar as the business benchmark, and since the companies do not want to play the foreign exchange game they pick a benchmark that is relatively high to maximize profit, meaning that they will pick an exchange rate number that has a relatively large delta (1$ US = .70 CDN as an exaggeration). Also, the parts for these sleds are often manufactured offshore so the cost of goods is equal in both places and the biggest difference in manufacturing costs comes in labor rates and incentives (tax rebates). Also, the Canadian dealers don't play as much of a discount game. This is true across all goods, not just snowmobiles. A sale in Canada is 'save the tax' while a sale in the US is typically much bigger (again, in general, across all goods). The US dealers can also move more inventory and can be very aggressive in pricing. Couple the benchmark rate at the US dollar and add Canadian taxes (%15 in NB, 13% in Ontario) and you end up paying more in Canada.

Below is using todays exchange rate of .79 CAD to 1 USD

NB - 2018 Sidewinder B-TX - 16.8k to 17.1k CAD or USD 13.2k to 13.6k : OR : 17k CAD + sales tax (15%) = 19.5k CAD or $15.5k USD
ON - 2018 Sidewinder B-TX - 17.2k to 18.9k CAD or USD 13.6k to 15k : OR : 18.1k CAD + Sales tax (13%0 = 20.4k CAD or $16.2k USD

Port Yamaha - 2018 Sidewinder B-TX - 13.5k USD + Sales tax at ~5% = 14.2k USD out the door (no further discounts) : OR : 17.8k CAD

With a 20% exchange rate, coupled with a 13-15% provincial tax, it is amazing they sell any Yamaha's in Canada.

Maybe they should build them there then!

Maybe they should build them there then!

Sounds like a great idea to me! I have a feeling that Canadian built Yamaha's would have the build quality and fit and finish that we are all missing in the Arctic Cat built sleds.

Sounds like a great idea to me! I have a feeling that Canadian built Yamaha's would have the build quality and fit and finish that we are all missing in the Arctic Cat built sleds.
At this point all we want is for them to keep building sleds in the future! Quality will follow!

I'm on the west coast of Newfoundland.We have long winters and alot of snow.Alot of snowmobiles are sold here every year,mountain sleds and crossovers are a huge market here.People just don't want Yamaha sleds or 4 strokes.The other brands are cheaper as well.Alot of people are stuck in 2003 when they think Yamaha too.

Just read all 8 pages and thought what the hell I will throw my 2cents in the mix. I can see one of a couple things play out. If the all Yamaha sled happens I agree it will be a limited build spring order type deal and if the other OEMs were smart they would follow suit on this idea. Along with the pure Yamaha sleds I believe they will still be an engine supplier like they did for Sno-Jet in the 1970's. If that doesn't happen I see the yama-cat sleds push on as a new from the ground up sled shared between both brands and again Yamaha being more of a spring order type thing.

Or it might be as simple as if you want a trail sled you get a Yamaha and if you want a mountain/boondocker you get an Arctic Cat. Same as Cadillac or GMC, you want a car you buy a Cadi, you want a truck you buy a GMC.

We have that problem right here on this forum. When people list the problems of the Apex they always list the problems of the 03 to 10 Apex/RX. They never list the problems of the 11 up!
What problems I thought I read the later Apex’s were perfected through the refining years.... LOL

What problems I thought I read the later Apex’s were perfected through the refining years.... LOL

Nothing is perfect but the 11 up is damn close to it. The hand warmers even work! But when every one starts going on about all the Apex problems they are always talking of the 06 to 10. I found the xtx to be a bit stiff for trail riding but it likes to be hammered hard over the bumps, I also found the 11 XTX to be insanely hard on sliders. 12 up is supposed to be much better! How you liking your 15?

Mine is a 13 with a Star suspension and Snotrackers and I like it, the motor is to die for.

The exhaust / intake howl at slower speeds literally makes me sick(nearly vomited a few times-otherwise I loved the acceleration, the ride was OK, same with the handling. On long high speed days it is my favorite, for winding or rough trails prefer the Viper - esp my knees and back.

ViperDave rode it got 113 mph on snow covered trail I never had good conditions to really let her run so best I. Ever saw was 109. But I did beat my buddies 800 cat every time until he stopped trying. That was nice.

Hope your doing well.

Last edited:
My 12 xtx skid was hard on hyfax as well as my back. Had the shocks revalved, it made a little difference but I really feel it needed the lighter springs found in the nytro xtx. Sold the sled to go back to a rider forward sled. After adding a wrp seat and bar risers it was a nice sled even though it rode so poor, I missed it sometimes but after having my yamaha turbo powered Arctic Cat the days of missing the apex are over. Best of both worlds for me. Rider forward and the endless pull like the apex had, and since it says cat on it is just the cherry on top for myself.

patent-jpg.139962

Back