• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

patent-jpg.139962
Sorry,back on topic here is whats being re tooled!!!!!!!!

Looks like at least there working on something!!!!!!!
But reality is once whatever they are designing hits production and available for purchase and actually works!!!!

Then maybe I’ll GIVE A #*$&@!!!!!

Couple of take aways from those drawings.
1) I like what appears to be a one-piece upper frame structure. This is probably cast aluminum and should eliminate parts, cost and weight.
2) I like that the steering post is re-positioned and will be more upright much like the Apex and Phazer.
I have never been fond of steering posts that are not upright, such as the Nytro, Winder and even Doo's.

I'm not to sure yamaha will continue putting there name on artic cat sleds and I dont see them building a pure yamaha sled again. When Suzuki got into the sled business artic cat built the chassis and Suzuki supplied the engine. The Suzuki fury was the same sled as the artic cat model . The fury didn't sell well mostly do to marketing of the machine but nevertheless Suzuki pulled out and made a engine supply deal with artic cat. Bare with me here, let's move on and talk about what yamaha did with there snow machine division as they moved forward in the 2000's they made the decision to go four stroke only was it a bad move ....? That could be debated but let's look at some fun facts , snowmobile manufactures meaning all four combined sell maybe 150,000 sleds yr. From my understanding yamaha has 30% of the 4 stroke market !!! Pretty good huh...sounds great right ? Well here's the kicker 2 strokes dominate the sled market 97% of sleds purchased are 2 strokes so that leaves 4's with 3%of the market with yamaha dominating 30% of a 3%market leaving yamaha with about 1.5%of the sales amounting to around 15,000 sleds sold a yr . Not good people !! My point earlier prepare for the fury ending it doesn't make sense to tool up for pure yamaha sled when they have a great engine in a great chassis with a engine buyer to boot it doesn't matter if the Yamaha sled doesn't sell well they could pull out and still be in and really loose nothing .[/QUOTE

go buy a CaT then!!!

I'm not to sure yamaha will continue putting there name on artic cat sleds and I dont see them building a pure yamaha sled again. When Suzuki got into the sled business artic cat built the chassis and Suzuki supplied the engine. The Suzuki fury was the same sled as the artic cat model . The fury didn't sell well mostly do to marketing of the machine but nevertheless Suzuki pulled out and made a engine supply deal with artic cat. Bare with me here, let's move on and talk about what yamaha did with there snow machine division as they moved forward in the 2000's they made the decision to go four stroke only was it a bad move ....? That could be debated but let's look at some fun facts , snowmobile manufactures meaning all four combined sell maybe 150,000 sleds yr. From my understanding yamaha has 30% of the 4 stroke market !!! Pretty good huh...sounds great right ? Well here's the kicker 2 strokes dominate the sled market 97% of sleds purchased are 2 strokes so that leaves 4's with 3%of the market with yamaha dominating 30% of a 3%market leaving yamaha with about 1.5%of the sales amounting to around 15,000 sleds sold a yr . Not good people !! My point earlier prepare for the fury ending it doesn't make sense to tool up for pure yamaha sled when they have a great engine in a great chassis with a engine buyer to boot it doesn't matter if the Yamaha sled doesn't sell well they could pull out and still be in and really loose nothing .

Your 3% market share number for 4 strokes is not accurate. Skidoo, Cat, and Yamaha would not spend the money on R&D to come out with new models for a 3% share.

I have heard that 4 stroke sales make up 20-25% of total sales.

Sorry,back on topic here is whats being re tooled!!!!!!!!
What if its a split exhaust port twin like some of the performance 4 strokes had back in the day, I remember a few single cylinders with a y pipe!

Your 3% market share number for 4 strokes is not accurate. Skidoo, Cat, and Yamaha would not spend the money on R&D to come out with new models for a 3% share.

I have heard that 4 stroke sales make up 20-25% of total sales.

My Dad taught me that there are "white lies, lies, dam lies, and "statistics"(in that order), so I don't totally trust the numbers that anyone throws around, including me! That having been said, I read on the internet (so it must be true) that the high point in snowmobile sales was back about 4-5 years ago with over 150,000 sleds sold worldwide, but that by 2017 it had slipped down to about 118,000. I don't think that there is much question that Yamaha is #4 in market share, and probably only has about 8-12% of the market share. If Yamaha has 10% of 120,000 sleds, and they retail from @$13,000-$17,000, that means their gross retail sales could be in the $150-200 million dollar range. Maybe that isn't all that much money in today's world, but I would think that it is enough to keep Yamaha interested in snowmobiles.

My Dad taught me that there are "white lies, lies, dam lies, and "statistics"(in that order), so I don't totally trust the numbers that anyone throws around, including me! That having been said, I read on the internet (so it must be true) that the high point in snowmobile sales was back about 4-5 years ago with over 150,000 sleds sold worldwide, but that by 2017 it had slipped down to about 118,000. I don't think that there is much question that Yamaha is #4 in market share, and probably only has about 8-12% of the market share. If Yamaha has 10% of 120,000 sleds, and they retail from @$13,000-$17,000, that means their gross retail sales could be in the $150-200 million dollar range. Maybe that isn't all that much money in today's world, but I would think that it is enough to keep Yamaha interested in snowmobiles.
Corps hate moving big bucks around without making money. If Yamaha profit margins are good yes they will continue with snowmobiles if not bye bye just the way business works. Sooner or later Yamaha needs to go public with their long term snowmobile division plans. The SRX is a reduction of the AC chassis production and the final model for the horse power junkies. Yamaha needs a entire new line up of snowmobiles and could continue with limited production of the Viper and SW but it appears that market is saturated. We will see what happens but I won’t be purchasing a Viper or SW so I’m in limbo for a new Yamaha sled or eventually will have to consider the 900T as the only alternative for me.

Corps hate moving big bucks around without making money. If Yamaha profit margins are good yes they will continue with snowmobiles if not bye bye just the way business works. Sooner or later Yamaha needs to go public with their long term snowmobile division plans. The SRX is a reduction of the AC chassis production and the final model for the horse power junkies. Yamaha needs a entire new line up of snowmobiles and could continue with limited production of the Viper and SW but it appears that market is saturated. We will see what happens but I won’t be purchasing a Viper or SW so I’m in limbo for a new Yamaha sled or eventually will have to consider the 900T as the only alternative for me.

Skidoo's timing with the introduction of the 900 Turbo was either the product of a brilliant corporate strategy, or the result of sheer dumb luck. Who could have known that Skidoo would make its first real challenge to Yamaha's four stroke dominance in the same year that Yamaha chose not to play the game? I don't know how many of the Yamaha "faithful" it will lure away, but for those riders considering the change from 2-stroke to 4-stroke in 2019, the Skidoo is going to be a very attractive sled.

Skidoo's timing with the introduction of the 900 Turbo was either the product of a brilliant corporate strategy, or the result of sheer dumb luck. Who could have known that Skidoo would make its first real challenge to Yamaha's four stroke dominance in the same year that Yamaha chose not to play the game? I don't know how many of the Yamaha "faithful" it will lure away, but for those riders considering the change from 2-stroke to 4-stroke in 2019, the Skidoo is going to be a very attractive sled.

The 900 ACE has been attractive to those who want reliability and the best mpg.

Just talk to those who have owned one.

With the addition of a turbo it won’t be those, but it will be faster and more powerful.

I do not know this, but I imagine one can get one either way, turbo or not??

Either way, whether or not Yamaha dumps Cat or other way around, I am not going to live in the past or future with my sled purchases, because I buy in the present, plus if you wait until 2020 all you will have to do is add a zero for the price of that (maybe or maybe not NEW) sled!! Lol. Yeah 20K is coming also.

Trust me if you are in for a 150-160hp sled you would like a sidewinder. In my opinion the 998 turbo is just as smooth and controllable as my old apex xtx but just has more power. To me a 150hp sled is like back in the day of the 600,700,800. A 700 was only a touch faster than a 600 like 115 hp 600cc to 125hp 700cc but not really up to snuff with an 800cc 140hp plus. And obviously this should be true, but it just seems like what's the point? Go big or have a 600 class sled and get good mpg and still hit 100 on the speedo on a good trail. Maybe I am off the mark but just my opinion and you know how that old saying goes lol.

We all knew the Apex was done in 18 so excellent timing for doo to release the 900T. Imo doo bit off a lot with the 850/ Gen4 introduction and probably had the 900T good to go but needed to get thru possible 850 problems. I prefer NA vs turbo so I’m not jumping on the 900T yet. Yamaha has to put up or shut down really not much else they can do at this point in the snowmobile division. Even if they only Spring build pure Yamaha sleds that at least is a step forward from a saturated Yamacat market.

Mine is a 13 with a Star suspension and Snotrackers and I like it, the motor is to die for.

The exhaust / intake howl at slower speeds literally makes me sick(nearly vomited a few times-otherwise I loved the acceleration, the ride was OK, same with the handling. On long high speed days it is my favorite, for winding or rough trails prefer the Viper - esp my knees and back.

ViperDave rode it got 113 mph on snow covered trail I never had good conditions to really let her run so best I. Ever saw was 109. But I did beat my buddies 800 cat every time until he stopped trying. That was nice.

Hope your doing well.

See my 11 has the wheels higher and I don't notice the Apex drone so much! Next I don't drive that slow so again I don't notice it much! Finally if there is rock hard trails (almost ice) like two years back on the TY I noticed it at about 20mph on the way back into Pinawa end of day. Couple inches of fresh snow overnight not a peep!

I'm still trying to top 112 on the GPS, I get 114 and tickle the 5 on in 115 on the speedo. I have a new squeeky belt that I am saving for a top end run! A good one mile run after the island hop at about 60 70mph with a real short slowdown leading to a hard left into the bush!

Starting to warm up into the double digits and just above freezing at night, so unless we get a big dump should be riding bike soon! That will make everything better! Then its only 6 months to the first snow!

Trust me if you are in for a 150-160hp sled you would like a sidewinder. In my opinion the 998 turbo is just as smooth and controllable as my old apex xtx but just has more power. To me a 150hp sled is like back in the day of the 600,700,800. A 700 was only a touch faster than a 600 like 115 hp 600cc to 125hp 700cc but not really up to snuff with an 800cc 140hp plus. And obviously this should be true, but it just seems like what's the point? Go big or have a 600 class sled and get good mpg and still hit 100 on the speedo on a good trail. Maybe I am off the mark but just my opinion and you know how that old saying goes lol.

Difference is NA no turbo! Not everyone wants a turbo! Then for me I want a Yamaha sled to go with my Yamaha motor and as you say everyone has a different opinion!

My 12 xtx skid was hard on hyfax as well as my back. Had the shocks revalved, it made a little difference but I really feel it needed the lighter springs found in the nytro xtx. Sold the sled to go back to a rider forward sled. After adding a wrp seat and bar risers it was a nice sled even though it rode so poor, I missed it sometimes but after having my yamaha turbo powered Arctic Cat the days of missing the apex are over. Best of both worlds for me. Rider forward and the endless pull like the apex had, and since it says cat on it is just the cherry on top for myself.

New sled is always nice and if I go Cat it would be best to go Cat!

Back