• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YAMAHEATER Nice Warm Hands for 03 - Current Yamaha 4 Strokes

Hey Rock. I got the yamaheater last year for my wifes 08 apex. You got me hooked up real quick. Follow up question, she, like a lot of women, not all though, complains about being cold, and of course hands too. She uses the heater and says hands still cold. Do the 08's need the booster or no.
Also, if I wanted to put on my 2010 apex, what all do I need to get? Thanks a bunch, and happy holidays to all.

Hi Shawn!

She will definitely like the Booster.
Will have to turn them down!

Yes, the 2010 usually needs a Boost model as well.

Depending on your sled, a ThumbBooster is also a possible need.
If your Thumbwarmer is barely warm, this makes it VERY warm!

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

shawnj said:
Hey Rock. Does Doug have all this at his shop (Doug's small engines) do you know? or is it less expensive for me to get it all directly from you? Thanks.
SHawn

Check with Doug, he carries a pretty good inventory, might also check with Ian at Sled Toyz.

Price should be about the same.

Rockmeister said:
KHEXX said:
Do you know if my bars have heat to the end/bend????? Because I sure can't feel it LOL!!!!!

Hhahahhahhaa!

I know exactly what you mean!
Your hooks ARE heated, they just don't heat up yet!

Will have you taken care of tomorrow. ;)!
Might also consider the ThumbBooster, most of the Nytros need it.

You should have your YamaHeater now! :Rockon:

Let us know how you like! ;)!

This isn't really the thread for this, however will answer your question. ;)!

The sleds vary quite a bit from sled to sled.
Especially since they are so close to not working, a small change in a part, can make a big change in whether or not the sled is warm or cold.

That's why some, such as yourself, are warm & don't get why others are saying they are freezing.

You are very fortunate, most are cold by far.

Hope this helps!

You can find the following quote here : http://www.yamaheater.com/Instructions-P-and-P.php or it should be in your instructions.

Yamaheater.com support area said:
Possible Code 81: (Handwarmers disconnected)
There can be a few causes of this. The first 2 are most common.
1) A loose connection. "Tug Test" all connections into the connectors, make sure they are solid.
2) Low Idle/Low Battery Voltage Makes sure WARM idle is 1300-1400 RPM (See owners manual)
3) The Power Control Relay contacts have to "break-in" This will disappear after riding for a while.
4) Normal G-forces from riding. Random & generally rare.
5) AutoWarm mode is used with SLEDSTART remote start. This is normal to protect your ECU. Restart to clear.
6) The unit itself could have failed, we don't see many of these, yet it IS possible. Return for replacement after calling.

Code 81 is a Minor error code on your sled, it indicates a possible problem with your handwarmers.
It has no effect on your sled other than turning your grips off.
Your YamaHeater will default to High Heat mode if this should occur so you still have warm grips.
The code is easily cleared by shutting off your sled & re-starting.
Trickle charge your battery overnight, most times issue will resolve itself.

Hi Rock,
Bought one of your kits last year and it never worked correctly in spite of having a steady red led light, etc...

I figured out tonight that it was because my early '06 Apex had that black/red wire jumper set up.

I removed that and wired it the best I could figure out using the web pictures on here.

Problem is, my plug n play kit has so many different plug ins to attach to the grip wires Im still unsure which to attach to the double black grip wires.

The plug n play kit had wire labels stating which plug went to which configuration of handlebars (heated hooks vs non-heated hooks).

However, these labels were contrary to everything Ive seen posted on here, picture wise.

Most show black wire & orange wire to grip plug ins on left and right sides.

My labels said black wire & double orange wire to one grip, and double black wires to the other grip.

Im not sure as well, how to tell if the previous owner may have updated the bars...how do I tell?

Thanks,
Vince

P.S.,
When re-configuring the plug ins on the Yamaheater side, the black wires on the black wire & yellow wire male plug came out of the metal tab...doesnt appear it was crimped very well as iwas being pretty gentle with it.

I spliced in the another male plug from my original Yamaha jumper wire...any chance I could get a replacement plug with some new metal tabs or wires hanging out that could be spliced?

Thanks

cmharcou said:
Rock,
I'm getting code 81 on my attack. Without going through 72 pages do you have any advice?

Heyya Chris!

Yes, call, email, or PM me. lol

Need more info than "I get a code", to narrow it down & get you taken care of.

There is also an INDEX at the top of the very first page of this thread with quick links to a lot of info, to make it easy for you.

As Crew noted, the directions are also posted at www.yamaheater.com
Goto the support page, then directions for your model.

This info is also in your directions included in your package along with my phone number.

Not sure how much easier i can make it for ya Dude...

Send me a PM with your number & we will get you taken care of!

Answers in RED below.

Vincenthdfan said:
Hi Rock,
Bought one of your kits last year and it never worked correctly in spite of having a steady red led light, etc...

Ok guys...

How much easier can I make it than give you my email, PM, and phone number?
Why wait & not call or contact me right away???
THAT IS WHY I GIVE YOU MY NUMBER!!!
If you think you had an issue LAST YEAR, what the heck are you waiting for???

(You can also click on PM, EMAIL, or WWW links at the bottom of every one of my posts to contact me.)

I figured out tonight that it was because my early '06 Apex had that black/red wire jumper set up.
I removed that and wired it the best I could figure out using the web pictures on here.
This is getting scary...

Problem is, my plug n play kit has so many different plug ins to attach to the grip wires Im still unsure which to attach to the double black grip wires.
There are 4 total, you will use 2 of them.
We give you the option of bar type on the '06s, so that you can use either sets of bars, with only a change of where you plug them in.
That makes any change of bars easy for you to do.
They are also labeled to make it easy for you.

The plug n play kit had wire labels stating which plug went to which configuration of handlebars (heated hooks vs non-heated hooks).
Yes.

However, these labels were contrary to everything Ive seen posted on here, picture wise.
Don't try to overthink this.

You were sent a unit for YOUR SLED, based on what info YOU PROVIDED at the time of order, expect to get that, and you did.

Most show black wire & orange wire to grip plug ins on left and right sides.

My labels said black wire & double orange wire to one grip, and double black wires to the other grip.
Really, don't try to overthink this...
Follow the labels, THAT IS WHY I PUT THEM ON THERE FOR YOU!!!

Im not sure as well, how to tell if the previous owner may have updated the bars...how do I tell?
This is one of the questions you should have asked and have answered a year ago.
The early bars have a screw access hole in the outside bend of the hook.
The Updated bars have seamless grips all the way to the end of the bar.

Thanks,
Vince

P.S.,
When re-configuring the plug ins on the Yamaheater side, the black wires on the black wire & yellow wire male plug came out of the metal tab...doesnt appear it was crimped very well as iwas being pretty gentle with it.

I spliced in the another male plug from my original Yamaha jumper wire...any chance I could get a replacement plug with some new metal tabs or wires hanging out that could be spliced?
Not a problem at all, that is WHY I GIVE CONTACT INFO IN ALL PACKAGES! (Even ones you get from Dealers)

Thanks

Rock :o|

Woah...easy there Rock. I wasn't trying to be derogatory in my posts, just asking honest questions. The directions are universal, not specific is why I asked. Not trying to overthink anything...using a very universal harness, with very universal directions causes me questions is all. It seems as though your implying I'm maybe being too anal about this...perhaps, but I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and am used to very specific directions and schematics. I didn't get to this problem last year because it was a low snow year and the sled ended up parked...the little time I rode it was too warm for handwarmers anyway. Handlebars? I looked and looked for some specifics on what type I have because I'm not te original owner...seems the previous owner must have switched them out since I have no screwed on ends. My bad for assuming my early '06 had '06 bars...I brought it up this year because I was trying to troubleshoot where I might have gone wrong wiring this up...sorry for trying your patience in a public forum, won't happen again!

Is ok Vince.

More to the point, it is MUCH easier & faster to call & get the details, than to try to figure out all the small details back & forth in posts.

The real point I was trying to make (not to just you), is to contact me.
This could & will be done, & you will be taken care of with a simple 5 minute phone call.

Prior to changing the wiring, you simply had to switch connectors, now we will have to correct the wiring, then plug them in properly.
That is exactly why I provide my number to you.
To make it simple, no point in making it a hard process.

Having someone to call when you have questions is incredibly valuable.
(I'm sure you have worked on things in the past, where you wish you had someone to call about it to ask questions.)

The idea here is, you do have someone to call and make it easy.

So give me a call & let's get you taken care of!

PS Some of the above in red was meant to be funny...
I should have thrown in a "lol" or two to let ya know!

No sweat Rock...I'm pretty sure I figured it out last night. Didnt think you'd appreciate a call at 10:00 pm Pacific time, lol. I just wanted to confirm that I had the correct handlebars...now I see they've been updated so I'll just adjust plug-ins accordingly and fire it up. Should check just fine now.

Back