• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

0/30 semi synthetic or 0/40 full?

SUC_doo

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
17 sidewinder rtx, 08 apex ltx gt, 01 formula deluxe
I just noticed the book called for 0/30 semi. I just changed my oil with 0/40 full yamlube. I assumed a motor like this would call for full.

Do a search and you'll find a whack of threads on oil. I'm running 0/30 mobile 1 full synthetic.

Do a search and you'll find a whack of threads on oil. I'm running 0/30 mobile 1 full synthetic.
Iv'e read a ton of them DMC....so sorry for another annoying post....I just couldn't really find what i was looking for....Just everyone preferences. The 0/30 0/40 is what it is, but why does the book call for semi why not full? I put on big miles and if full syn will last longer then semi that would be great. I'll likely put on 5000 miles a season....2500 miles book calls for oil change....seems a little overkill if it was full synthetic.

You will have reduced performance with 40 weight in place of 30 due to pumping losses.

Seen if firsthand on my old RX-1. 40 weight made it a slug. Replaced it with 30 weight and performance came right back.

You will have reduced performance with 40 weight in place of 30 due to pumping losses.

Seen if firsthand on my old RX-1. 40 weight made it a slug. Replaced it with 30 weight and performance came right back.
well i got 123mph on the lake today with 0-40 syn

Iv'e read a ton of them DMC....so sorry for another annoying post....I just couldn't really find what i was looking for....Just everyone preferences. The 0/30 0/40 is what it is, but why does the book call for semi why not full? I put on big miles and if full syn will last longer then semi that would be great. I'll likely put on 5000 miles a season....2500 miles book calls for oil change....seems a little overkill if it was full synthetic.

Last edited:
We have gone over this info a few times and Rockerdan had a great post comparing oils. We came to the conclusion that the best bang for the buck with the best protection was going with Mobil 1-- 5 W 30 full synthetic. The only oil that was rated better was Pennzoil ultra platinum 5 W 30 full synthetic but at a higher cost. Myself and a few others including Mike Knapp got a smoking deal on the Pennzoil a couple Months ago. After rebate we paid 14.97 for a 5 quart jug.

Interesting! How many lengths/ time difference did you notice???

Well I had done a 0-40 oil change to my RX-1 back in the day and was getting beat by my buds 05 800 Rev that I could always beat before doing the oil change. It was a Saturday and I had picked up some more oil earlier in the week, we decided to go back to my house and put in the proper 0-30 back into it to see if that was the reason he was beating me.

Sure enough, changed the oil back to 0-30 and went right back out and the power came right back, I went from getting flat outrun, to doing the outrunning on the same day. I could tell the sled just didn't have the snap it should have even without running against him. Was quite telling to say the least.

Back