• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

137 sw procross center shock spring change

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
So my friend and I have heavier springs for the center shock, so fooling around with it the other day, it looks like just drop the limiter straps, unbolt the top shock eye bolt, loosen the spring adjuster nuts, the spring comes loose (no need for a spring compressor), drop the shock down, front or rearward, and slide the spring off! Super easy! Now, mine is an SE with the retainer at the top, and nuts on the bottom. There is 9 inches from retainer to backed off spring seat nuts/collars, and the springs are only 8 inches long. If they planned it this way, kudos to Cat.

Yup thats all it takes. If limiters are in last hole you can get away with leaving them on too. Dont forget to Loctite the bolt.

So my friend and I have heavier springs for the center shock, so fooling around with it the other day, it looks like just drop the limiter straps, unbolt the top shock eye bolt, loosen the spring adjuster nuts, the spring comes loose (no need for a spring compressor), drop the shock down, front or rearward, and slide the spring off! Super easy! Now, mine is an SE with the retainer at the top, and nuts on the bottom. There is 9 inches from retainer to backed off spring seat nuts/collars, and the springs are only 8 inches long. If they planned it this way, kudos to Cat.
What spring did you put in there. I have a ltx le and weigh 300lbs. Any suggestions?

This. I have more coming. Just sold my last one. $70 160lb Bill Mohr center shock spring. I do have my used one I could sell for $50 if in a hurry.
DSC01052.JPG

What does this spring help with? I weigh 250 dressed and I haven't had any issues with the suspension on my LTX SE but I'm always looking for ways to improve my sled in the handling and ride department.

What does this spring help with? I weigh 250 dressed and I haven't had any issues with the suspension on my LTX SE but I'm always looking for ways to improve my sled in the handling and ride department.
Lighter front end with less preload. 3-6 turns from snug for most. The less preload used on a spring the less the shock has to work. Preload is stored energy. Stock center springs are lighter spec.

When my Apex steering was so much lighter than the sw, I knew I had to do something...lol...it's the rider forward, with so much weight up front. Tightening the stock spring a lot helped..a lot. Since I'm about out of adjustment, it made sense to go to a higher rate. Plus, when the suspension couples, it will pull on that spring too stiffening the whole suspension up. I want a little lighter steering, in the throttle, and less pitch forward, off the throttle. Just looking for more balance.
The center skid shocks and limiters really play a huge part in handling and steering.

75622.jpeg
Stock spring on right. 110lb spring. Cannondale spring on left. 160 lb spring.

This is off my XTX 137 LE with the standard hpg shock on the center.

Last edited:
i just ordered one for my 19 btx. the sled has 0 miles on it and first thing I noticed was that the center spring was wound all the way and still had all the weight on the skis compared to me old viper rtx le 1.7

I have a hyperco 165lb and one of those raptor Tr center springs. Cannondale do you know the final rate of that raptor? I need to build a spring rater.

I have a hyperco 165lb and one of those raptor Tr center springs. Cannondale do you know the final rate of that raptor? I need to build a spring rater.
I don’t recall but is a dyno chart around somewhere. This spring is not a Raptor spring. No adapters needed. Stingray spring.

Back