• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Mystery Sled!!!

RunninRX1 said:
Yup, I read it. Complaining about how his old model is. Mine do the same things (I own 3 of them). Neither of us can say the new one does those same things or has the same problems as neither of us have ridden one.

We all know the shortcomings of the current Apex. ONLY those who have ridden the 2011 can truly say what is or isn't different. The rest of us keyboard jockeys can only speculate based on a few pictures and some text on websites. And so far, it's getting glowing reviews so something must be different (besides power steering).

If you read what has been written, it has a different front geometry. That right there can make a world of difference in what a sled does. Look at a 08 Nytro vs a 09. Night and day and that was just a small change. I would image that the majority of people on here are clueless about how the front geometry effects a sled. Which is fine.. you don't need to know that stuff. Go trail ride a true Sno-X sled.. any of them, you won't like it ;) I rode the XP sled that beat that Ian dude who rides for Yamaha a few weeks back.. Good god.. awful!

Its got new skis and from one report some new carbide runner system.. very little to no darting...maybe "snow trackers" on it stock? Tons of glowing reviews on snow trackers too. How many people on here bought new skis? TONS. How many of us know these new 2011 skis really work? Fraction of a percent of the people on here.. only those who rode it know. They all say they do. So there's another potential improvement.

It's got a different seat. I'm 6'4" so I know all too well about the knees thing.. but the new seat is higher.. that WILL make a difference. I know 2" of foam in my buddies Rev made a buttload of difference. How much is it on the 2011..do not know... yet.

Like me, he's got a 06 skid which IS prone to break. Mine hasn't...yet.
We all know the 2010 skid is MUCH beefier. 2011 could even be better than the 2010.. only a few know if they looked when they had the chance. We know Yamaha addressed the shock rubbing issues with the 2010 skid, addressed wiring issues and all that also. So most likely those issues are long gone. We know they put roller bearings in the lower skid to help with premature bushing wear. Nobody knows what else they did. They could have put bronze bushings in like I did. We do not know.

We can all see that the tunnel is different on the 2011, but nobody knows how far they went with changing the chassis around.. nobody. So nobody can say it's the same ole thing again. We just don't know.

We all know about how poor the front bushings are and alot of us put zerks in to make that better. 2011 has them stock so that's an improvement. Maybe they put bronze up there also? Did anyone look?

Handwarmers.. all reviews say they rock. Another improvement.

Everyone says it takes bumps better.. could be finally a good shock calibration. None of us know.
I personally don't have any issues with the bump capability of mine as I'm only 150#. I have my stock spring set on 2 and it will take some serious bumpage without bottoming. Can't say much about the more portly riders and how the skid works for them as I am not one of them.

I agree on the weight, but all 4 strokes are heavy. If they are not (like some models of the XP) get prepared to replace broken parts. I can take pictures of BOXES of broken front bulkhead connectors on XP's. Now if the EPS makes that weight FEEL less.. that's great. Cat had to add a turbo to help with how heavy that sled is. They did take weight out of the 2011.. just nobody is going to say how much until the 2nd.

Just because it LOOKS very similar on the outside does not mean its not different underneath. A ZR1 'Vette looks extremely similar to a regular 'Vette but they aren't even in the same ballpark.

I've said it a few times now.. you cannot compare what your Apex is now to a 2011 unless YOUR #*$&@ has sat on the seat and went down a trail on a 2011. If you have and you hated it, perfect. That would be useful information.
If you have never ever been on one and your just bitching about how your current sled sucks, and you wish it was this or that...irrelevant.

you're 6'4" and weigh 150!!!! dude, have a donut,or something!lol

Tom thanks for the review. After reading everyones reviews of what they want in a Game Changer sled. We can all agree we love Yamaha sleds. Set them up to your liking, post what you did or changed so everyone can LEARN. The new 11 Apex looks good and from all the reviews it is going to be a great sled. I'm sure Yamaha has a guy that reads all the post (some of them) and returns them back for feedback. They creep into the sled lineup as a refined part or look.

This my first year on a Yamaha 4 stroke Attak and I love the sled.
I have ALWAYS rode Yamaha sleds since age 8.

Tom thanks for a great site and the review! ;)!

Japex.. I know right!
I can eat as much of anything I want and never gain a pound. Been this way for over 20 years. Tried everything to gain weight. Pisses alot of my friends off who even LOOK at a beer or a donut and they can feel the fat increasing. Upside is make my sled much faster, downside is if I drink something like a diet Coke.. I'll disappear. Gotta be the coffee and smokes.

RunninRX1 said:
Japex.. I know right!
I can eat as much of anything I want and never gain a pound. Been this way for over 20 years. Tried everything to gain weight. Pisses alot of my friends off who even LOOK at a beer or a donut and they can feel the fat increasing. Upside is make my sled much faster, downside is if I drink something like a diet Coke.. I'll disappear. Gotta be the coffee and smokes.

Ditto! Been within 10 pounds of 170 since I was in highschool (early 80's). Must be the butts and the 'fene!

Guys.... keep the thread on TOPIC. You want to go talk about you skinny AZZ or you fat AZZ try doing it in the lounge.

I am going to say this:

Every sled will need little adjustments to make the owner happy. I'm sorry, but I have never had a sled set up for me right out of the box. After a couple adjustments, I can rail my new 4 strokes like a tuned SRX, but you put someone else on the sled and they will say the sled handles horribly. Done with that issue!

Everybody uses different carbides and a lot of people pick the track. You all need to adjust your sleds for your own rding pleasure.

I just had to say my 2 cents.

First off, everyone needs to get a grip and be a little less sensitive when someone posts or responds...really gentleman, take it with a grain of salt.

Second, Mr. Sled bleeds blue? Damn right. He should. That's why he has this sight. I will tell you my blood makes his look red. So much so, I quit one career to start one at a Yamaha dealer. This subject to me is one big "DUH". ;)

Third, everyone is speculating on this "mystery ride" and what is or is not. Yamaha is certainly not going to blow their wad and give all the details to diminish their February 2nd intro. Plus, as we all know, pre-production sleds are just that, usually hand built prototypes that are far from production...especially in calibration.

Take what Tom has given and ponder on what it will really be, and by all means, take full advantage of the demo rides offered by Yamaha and all the manufacturers and form you own opinion.

It just makes me smile when I read about the "issues" guys have with Yamaha sleds, skis, darting, slides, bogey wheels...I mean really? All this complaining while riders of other brands are watching Biggest Loser while their sleds are getting new engines, clutches, or frames.

I love my job!

Any ideas as to what piece in Chris blog picture he posted from the 2011? Perhaps a lighter piece then before?

DSC_0042.jpg

Someone in one of the many threads on the 2011's mentioned seeing through the openings that the upper frame member was now webbed. Looks like it is cast now as well instead of extruded.

Back