• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 excessive slide wear Need help or suggestions.

mmollema

I went out the past weekend to the U.P. and put about 300 miles on in good snow and my stock slides are about gone but not in the normal spot by the bend, Mine got paper thin between the front whees and the rear wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to fix or improve this. Are the OEM slides as useless as the OEM carbides do I need to go aftermarket? Thanks

I replaced the OEM idlers with the Polaris wheels and added the Ski doo mounts with Polaris wheels toward the rear. Since the install I've ran several miles in poor conditions and haven't seen any significant hyfax wear.

According to Yamaha they lowered the bogie wheels on the 2012 and that was suppose to help. Maybe the person I talked to was misinformed.

grizztracks said:
I replaced the OEM idlers with the Polaris wheels and added the Ski doo mounts with Polaris wheels toward the rear. Since the install I've ran several miles in poor conditions and haven't seen any significant hyfax wear.

I did the Polaris wheels too. Great easy fix, though adding more wheels would be a help too.

Had the exact same problem... Yamaha claims it's not a skid design issue. "slide wear varies from rider to rider and when comparing manufacturers"... Yeah, whatever... Burnt my oem slides off in 160 miles of great trail conditions. Put used 1990's polaris idler wheels in back with aftermarket slides to fix the problem. The fact is imo is that xtx skid stinks... Wish i wouldve realized this b4 i bought it.

bjl1050 said:
Had the exact same problem... Yamaha claims it's not a skid design issue. "slide wear varies from rider to rider and when comparing manufacturers"... Yeah, whatever... Burnt my oem slides off in 160 miles of great trail conditions. Put used 1990's polaris idler wheels in back with aftermarket slides to fix the problem. The fact is imo is that xtx skid stinks... Wish i wouldve realized this b4 i bought it.

I don't agree that the skid stinks. I think it's actually pretty good, and stands up well to abuse. It just needs better/bigger wheels.

Get a set of X wheels from Excell. I put some on this year and they seem to work well. I have not felt the sliders stick yet and we have very little snow this season so far.

Excel wheel kit will fix your slider wear problem. I have a 2011 I only got 400 miles on first set. I put the wheel kit on over the summer and after 370 miles sliders look new.

After putting 3 sets a year, I bit the bullet bought the Excell kit and rode 400 miles last week end on rough low snow cond. and no wear at all. So I'm already a believer. Spend the money save the headache.

I put polaris wheels on my phazer when i stretched it and put a new track - i have more than 2000 miles on slides.

mmollema said:
According to Yamaha they lowered the bogie wheels on the 2012 and that was suppose to help. Maybe the person I talked to was misinformed.

Wheels were lowered on the 2012 Apex XTX and Nytro XTX only.

I also bit the bullet and baught the excell wheel kit.....love it....have 600 miles so far and by this time would be on 2nd set of hyfaxes.....little to no wer at all....well worth the $$$...bolt right on no problem

Back