• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 sidewinder chaincase problem after 45 miles of riding

I think it's a detent spring that pops out and goes between fwd and reverse. Not sure what causes it. Someone will chime in. May want to re phrase your heading now. Glad to help

So let me get this straight. The servo motor has to be powered up to keep pressure on? I work with electro-mechanical relays for a living & that sounds like trouble to me...just saying

My buddy just texted me and said the chaincase is making noise . It goes into forward and reverse and when he takes off the chaincase is making noise. Will load back up on trailer and take into dealer in the am. Will update when dealer fixes this. Thanks for all input.

He said it felt like he blew a belt, belt was fine. He could turn the secondary by hand with belt on. It could be the chain broke or a gear. We were on the trail going about 60 mph. Good snow conditions
As I said, it likely popped into neutral, this was common on cats for awhile...

One thing about mechanical reverse I like better, less issues with the solenoid holding it in gear.

Dan

This was common in cats for a few seasons, I never used my reverse as I was afraid to in 2012.lol

When i read a few others here seeing a code which was something similar, i was wondering when we would get a post of sled in neutral....Hopefully its not widespread, I assumed cat worked this out awhile back? How have the vipers been?

Dan

This chain case has been like this since the 2012 Procross came out.. The motor keeps the tension on the upper gear keeping it in forward gear. If the motor moves, it slides out of forward into neutral. I would not say it is common but I have seen it more than once on Cats.
This is what everyone gets for demanding electric reverse. I mean the old handle never failed.
I was actually thinking about this issue this morning. People were down on Yamaha for having a manual reverse . It always worked!!! How much weight was actually saved? The internals are similar. You save weight by removing the linkage, but gain some back with wiring and an actuator. I am surprised that someone has not come up with a way to do away with the actuator and install a locked handle.
Rant over----sorry

This chain case has been like this since the 2012 Procross came out.. The motor keeps the tension on the upper gear keeping it in forward gear. If the motor moves, it slides out of forward into neutral. I would not say it is common but I have seen it more than once on Cats.
This is what everyone gets for demanding electric reverse. I mean the old handle never failed.
I was actually thinking about this issue this morning. People were down on Yamaha for having a manual reverse . It always worked!!! How much weight was actually saved? The internals are similar. You save weight by removing the linkage, but gain some back with wiring and an actuator. I am surprised that someone has not come up with a way to do away with the actuator and install a locked handle.
Rant over----sorry
totally agree....I love my mechanical reverse on my 4tec and my old apex, and never fails...simple system.

Dan

We have replaced a bunch of actuators the past few years on Vipers and Cats. Sometimes they go to neutral or stay locked in forward or reverse. I hoped this all but fixed for this year. I guess not.
Looks like my sled just got heavier as I'll be bringing one as a spare on any big trip.

What can also happen is that if the belt is too tight it will not allow the gear to fully engage and when you get on it hard it slips out of gear. Stupid thing but loose belt deflection is your friend on these. Seen it more than once and has happened to me personally. I have the upgraded reverse actuator etc. Some guys moved the little magnet to a position(re glued) that would only let the reverse signal stop if it was fully engaged. I had mine come out of gear at 90 per once and #*$&@ up the top gear. Have to be careful to make sure the shims are correct as well when putting things together. I had a new larger jackshaft put in and they forgot a shim and this is what happened.

Jester

My buddy just texted me and said the chaincase is making noise . It goes into forward and reverse and when he takes off the chaincase is making noise. Will load back up on trailer and take into dealer in the am. Will update when dealer fixes this. Thanks for all input.
Top gear not engaging fully. Top gear bushing has to much play, also need to install a .030 shim on that gear. If not engaging i bet the splines are twisted and not allowing the gear to slide on the shaft.

Sounds like a dry chaincase. Seen this happen after a rock cracked an m1100 chaincase and leaked all the oil out. (nearly the same chaincase)
and the guy never noticed. Early season this is more frequent l.
Blue colored metal parts are a sign (heat signature)

Or simply from a sled that never got filled up or leaky chaincase seal.

We have a few customers with over 300 miles and so far, no one with a chaincase failure.

What can also happen is that if the belt is too tight it will not allow the gear to fully engage and when you get on it hard it slips out of gear. Stupid thing but loose belt deflection is your friend on these. Seen it more than once and has happened to me personally. I have the upgraded reverse actuator etc. Some guys moved the little magnet to a position(re glued) that would only let the reverse signal stop if it was fully engaged. I had mine come out of gear at 90 per once and #*$&@ up the top gear. Have to be careful to make sure the shims are correct as well when putting things together. I had a new larger jackshaft put in and they forgot a shim and this is what happened.

Jester
As to the loose belt deflection portion,
Who said that back in 2012 in the annals of hcs.. lol

Sounds like a dry chaincase. Seen this happen after a rock cracked an m1100 chaincase and leaked all the oil out. (nearly the same chaincase)
and the guy never noticed. Early season this is more frequent l.
Blue colored metal parts are a sign (heat signature)

Or simply from a sled that never got filled up or leaky chaincase seal.

We have a few customers with over 300 miles and so far, no one with a chaincase failure.
I only have 60 miles so far and chain case oil was low already. Filled to top now. So guys, check your fluids after your early runs! And my coolant had to be topped off! Check everything out guys, half a Cat ya know!

Riding with my buddy and his new sidewinder. Kept my 16 apex as I have been a ginny pig too many times for yamaha over the years. Were trail riding and I notice he is not behind me anymore. I turn around thinkin he blew a belt. Well, he chain case is toast.. WHY??? The ole dependable Apex towed him outa the woods and he is anxious to hit the dealer Monday morning as he is pissed. Hope they keep makin the dependable apex for many years to come as I am unimpressed with the side winders. Any one else having chaincase problems and this could be a brewing recall coming yamaha's way?

Just happened to me, I was driving down the lake at about 60kph and it felt like the belt blew but it didn’t and the clutches still spin. Likely the chain or gears. Only have about 800km on the machine and it was just serviced recently. Now my machine is stuck on the lake and it’s -25 C out. Took the belt off and tried to tow it with no success. Need to come back tomorrow with An atv or two sleds to pull it off the lake. The worst.

Back