• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 Sidewinder headaches

SaddleBagger

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder ltx dx
O.k. so I removed my suspension to replace all the wheels and rebuild my shocks. After putting it all back together I loaded it on the trailer and noticed it didn't want to compress all the way down. The suspension and rear shock moves until it hits the couplers then wont compress any further unless I loosen the track. Frustrated, I left it with a dealer for three weeks and they couldn't find the problem. If track tension is set as recommended it seems to push the suspension back rather than collapse?? Dealers recommendation was to reach out to you all for help.
HELP!!!

Unless your suspension is flat on the floor you will not be able to compress it past the coupling blocks. Pushing down on the rear is not how the suspension works. The suspension is an approximation of a parallelogram, it wants to move back and up at the same time, when you push down on the back you are simulating weight transfer which will run into the couplers and act just as you describe. When you loosen the track you are giving the skid the ability to move backwards just enough to rotate around the pivot that is locking you out. This is never a problem when the sled is in motion. If your dealer cannot figure out how to get your suspension articulation back, you should go get your sled and never go back there again.

Unless your suspension is flat on the floor you will not be able to compress it past the coupling blocks. Pushing down on the rear is not how the suspension works. The suspension is an approximation of a parallelogram, it wants to move back and up at the same time, when you push down on the back you are simulating weight transfer which will run into the couplers and act just as you describe. When you loosen the track you are giving the skid the ability to move backwards just enough to rotate around the pivot that is locking you out. This is never a problem when the sled is in motion. If your dealer cannot figure out how to get your suspension articulation back, you should go get your sled and never go back there again.

Than

Thank you! I did pick it up and bring it home. Flat on the garage floor it would not compress with a 350lb man laying across it. Back at it Monday myself

Thank you! I did pick it up and bring it home. Flat on the garage floor it would not compress with a 350lb man laying across it. Back at it Monday myself

Are you certain the rear shock is installed correctly?

Where the shock attaches towards the front of the skid is that arm in the up position or is it down?

Where the shock attaches towards the front of the skid is that arm in the up position or is it down?

I was thinking the same thing because it flipped on me one time and it was acting the same way.

I would take the shock out of the skid and see if you can compress it. I had shocks for an Arctic cat rebuilt years ago and had the same problem. When the shock was rebuilt it was put back together wrong and would not compress. The company redid the shock and worked when I got it back.

Your sure your shock is installed right. The lower dog lag it ahead like in my photo. I’ve seen installed with the shock back closer to the track. It’s an easy mistake while the skid is out

Attachments

• AAF8A51D-3133-4266-AF96-47831DC0D32B.png
    AAF8A51D-3133-4266-AF96-47831DC0D32B.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 79
I would take the shock out of the skid and see if you can compress it. I had shocks for an Arctic cat rebuilt years ago and had the same problem. When the shock was rebuilt it was put back together wrong and would not compress. The company redid the shock and worked when I got it back.
Thanks, think thats where I'm gonna start.

Your sure your shock is installed right. The lower dog lag it ahead like in my photo. I’ve seen installed with the shock back closer to the track. It’s an easy mistake while the skid is out
Yes, the ears are upright. Did that also years ago, lol

Back