• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

900 miles per belt

100% You can blame artic cats assembly line for these problem not yamaha...like i said before yamaha better qc checks on there lines compare to cat!!!just go there and watch them put an engine in a chassis on the line and you will understand!!!!

Some do and some don't Kevin. Still trying to figure out the cause, get everyone to not own belt blowers and still get the best speed and performance out of their winders. Everytime a good idea comes up to try and solve the problem, another member knocks it down.

As it always starts....Yamaha engineers don't check certain aspects of clutching and they say they have the best clutching out there. But there is always room for improvement. Fact is, the video where they show the sled running past a bunch of dealers claiming the sled running 123mph. Does every SW run 123mph stock? Nope.... Is Yamaha keeping the speeds down? I believe so.

Winter 2017/2018, poor to no snow in most of the states... (our local trails never even opened up this season and won't open this season. This is the 3rd year our local trails have been closed 99% of the time. I can't say 100% cause they were opened last year for 3-4 days and maybe 5 days the year before that). Members upset with their sleds... and as for me, only 2 trips up north and not as many miles compared to other winters (and I own 4 Yamaha sleds which really makes it hard to swallow).
This is why this year has been the most horrible season for me....

But, I can be happy to say I have been using the same belt since asphalt season, tried all kinds of clutching once again for 2017/2018 and very happy with my sled and no issues on the other sleds I have worked on this season.

Only thing that bothers me is that I feel I couldn't help a handful of members with their SW belt blowing problems. @stevewithOCD is one I thought we had a good handle on things, but wish we lived closer to actually work on his sled. It's hard to give advice to members over pm's, text and phone without actually witnessing what the sled is doing.

Would like to find solution on this for sure. My situation:

2017 Stock: blew at 400( frozen primary roller, flat spot secondary roller), then blew at 1,400.
2018 TD Tuned with clutch set up: ran previous years belt to 3,100+, towed a sled 2 miles, blew, failed to clean out well trail side ( I think, it was dark ), blew at 200. Ran a used belt from friends viper with 1,900 miles on it for another 285 miles. Going to clean clutches well for last 400+ mile trip. Never have checked offset.

Tragedy

Last edited:
Oh I’m sure there will be a boatload belt blowers now saying their alignment is perfect, been there heard that.

Last edited:
first belt broke at 300 kms... second at 740...ordered up the hurricane alignment tool and i could not believe my eyes when i put the jig on the secondary.....long story short, final result was cutting 3/16 off the clutch stub....jig now fits like its suppose too .... goin to go for a lil rip tomorrow and hope now that all the #*$&@ is behind me ..

???

Last edited:
first belt broke at 300 kms... second at 740...ordered up the hurricane alignment tool and i could not believe my eyes when i put the jig on the secondary.....long story short, final result was cutting 3/16 off the clutch stub....jig now fits like its suppose too .... goin to go for a lil rip tomorrow and hope now that all the #*$&@ is behind me ..
Subscribed

ya think ....if the hurricane tool is to set the offset correctly, and my offset was out by 3/16 ",and i cut the back of clutch to put the offset to where its suppose to be,why do you feel it may hit bearing at full shift

Yea cut it all the way off

Last edited:
I'm getting there. Now at 700 miles per belt. 3200 miles on sled, that's alot of belts. Waiting on my hurricane tool to come. Have machined the shaft on the secondary already, cut spring pocket deeper. Cat rollers, all different kinds of clutching, and tunes. We'll see what I come up with when the tool arrives.

Back