• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone running a ported / cammed head???? Fundy head??

pdrmike

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
12 APEX'S 09 Venture GT
Is anyone running a ported/polished head with the cams from Fundy or anywhere else? I have a few questions about this setup. If I could get a email or phone number it would be appreciated! Any pros or cons from anyone? Thanks, Mike

Fundy sucks

Well around here Fundy is not known for good things....Ulmer lost lots of money from them and others had engines that performed less then steller....search this topic and you'll find lots of interesting info. I too would like to know the benefits from porting the head and changing the intake cam. A long with the PC3 fuel controller and the ignition advance. I've heard some guys have split the head gasket to gain a little compression....I would think you could shave 10 thousands or maybe 20 thousands to increase compression also? ( assuming the squish is large enough to shave the head?) I hope someone can chime in here on the cam, porting and head gasket/shaving for compression change.... :Rockon:

So..let me get this straight…Yamaha engineering spends millions of dollars in sophisticated engine technology…and literally years ..developing engines…and some guy with the #*$&@ hangin out of pants..thinks he can make it better in one weekend….

If you did change somthing..you then need a dyno to find the actual HP point to...
re-do the clutching
change the fuel delivery
change the pipe to match the new HP

Good to read about people thinking..its encouraging...and fun...But...do like the fast do and get more HP to the track…there is your speed.

In real life...a wanna be racer lets off at say..10' from the turn
If he gets more HP - he lets off at 16' before the turn...so no real gain.

Well I guess a noticeable gain can be found wit a turbo or S.charger…

Ok guys I hope this isn't too far off the subject. Several years back when I was hoping up my 2002 GSXR-1000. I did some of the same mods that I am currently planning for my 2006 apex. Two of the mods where a pc-III and a thinner racing head gasket. The racing head gasket was essentially a factory head gasket that had the inner stainless spacer removed. Not sure offhand how thick it was but it clearly was thinner to bump compression about a half a point (from 12.0 up to 12.5 to 1). I ended up with a 2.5 hp (dyno verified) increase from the head gasket and an additional 2.5 hp from the pc-III for a totlal of 5 rear wheel horsepower. I realize these are two different applications and motors, but the numbers seem to be representative of what can be achieved with comparable mods on comparable engines. Remember that the apex motor is very similar to the previous generation R-1 streetbike. Minus transmission of course. With all the mods I eventually did to the bike, I ended up with 19 additional rwhp without resorting to cams or headwork.

head porting

Call dave at hurricane performance about head porting and cam timing. The man knows his stuff and his dyno proves it.

Back