• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary Clutch stuck to Stub Shaft - Help!

Yes, and one take away here is always spend a little extra and buy a high quality puller instead of some soft-metal pos.

TBH I just figured they would all be good quality, lesson learned, not like I was trying to cheap out or anything I spent countless thousands on mods what's $100 for a good puller lol

**Update**
I'm in Mexico for the week (can't take family vacay during sledding season of course) lol but the second shop I took my clutch to called yesterday said he got it apart and didn't wreck anything! Woohoo. He did say "wait until you see the puller"

I will replace the stub shaft bearing for good measure while I have it out!

Also my PB80 delivered yesterday :drink:

I know its a little late for this now ...... but see how STM removes their stubborn primary clutches ..... Just be careful as the video states......

That was amazing!! scared the sh!t out of me just watching the video! lol

Great! Like I said in the 2nd post of this thread...take it to a machine shop...Lol...they can fix a lot of the things we manage to screw up.
:)

Yeah for sure, I would have 100% just hacked it with a grinder lol

That's awesome they got it off.
Be sure to go over the threads with a tap. No doubt they were damaged a bit when the puller bent over on them.
Good idea to press a new bearing in. After having trouble with mine this summer, I was not happy with how the bearing felt - not sure if I caused it or not- but for piece of mind swopped it out.
MS

That's awesome they got it off.
Be sure to go over the threads with a tap. No doubt they were damaged a bit when the puller bent over on them.
Good idea to press a new bearing in. After having trouble with mine this summer, I was not happy with how the bearing felt - not sure if I caused it or not- but for piece of mind swopped it out.
MS

Yeah exactly, it's already all out so might as well get a new bearing on and make sure the bearing is seated in housing good and stub shaft is pressed in bearing good too.

Im not re-using this clutch but will chase thr threads anyways because I'm very likely to forget if ever I put it back on lol

Well then, you are in the right place to celebrate your luck in choosing that machine shop! YeeHaa have another celebratory drink just for good measure! Glad to hear your luck had changed, Enjoy!!
Thanks for the update.

Well, after a plane cancellation, spending an extra night in Mexico and finally making it home, I picked up my clutch. Check out this puller! He did just like what was suggested and used his 20lbs slide hammer.

I don't have a welder or a slide hammer so this was worth it.

Stub shaft seems good no issues. I see the bearing isn't fully seated so I will ensure all that is good before I re-assemble.

Attachments

• 20191112_140757_resize_55.jpg
    20191112_140757_resize_55.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 208
  • 20191112_140804_resize_45.jpg
    20191112_140804_resize_45.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 220
Well, after a plane cancellation, spending an extra night in Mexico and finally making it home, I picked up my clutch. Check out this puller! He did just like what was suggested and used his 20lbs slide hammer.

Stub shaft seems good no issues. I see the bearing isn't fully seated so I will ensure all that is good before I re-assemble.
Wow, that thing folded up like a cheap lawn chair.

Wow glad it worked out.....

Hey what brand puller was that? Hopefully not EPI?
I will have to check if the brand is on the paper I have from it. I bought from a local parts shop, likely some kind of generic one. Just glad it's all apart!

I will have to check if the brand is on the paper I have from it. I bought from a local parts shop, likely some kind of generic one. Just glad it's all apart!
As the old saying goes ... you get what you pay for. Glad they got it apart for ya.

Yup cheaper puller. Same thing happened to me. Freaked me out. Bought a strong puller and it was fine.

Back