• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anything new with exhaust donuts?

I went with Ulmer's because I have bought things from him before and like there work but the ones you got look like they will work just fine. One thing I found when replacing mine was to really make sure to scrap all the old donut out or you wont be able to slide the new ones on far enough to get the clamps to clamp.

Ok! I will make sure its good and clean. Clamps came off easy but the Y-Pipe bracket bolts wont budge! One on the verge of stripping ******* allen head (thanks Yamaha). Walking the heat to them tonight and if worse comes to worse I'll drill the rivits out and get the entire pipe/bracket on the bench. How do you like your barker with the programmer? I went with the Ultra Q due to Maine's Noise laws but wanted to go with barker looks way better made!

Reasons for OEM?

OEM have been improved particularly for the 11+ model Apex and possibly the Nytro if same diameter. The 06-10 OEM seemed to disintegrate quickly, they were soft/pliable and had no body. The OEM donuts on my 11 Apex lasted much longer than prior years, they deteriorated a bit, but not to the point of completely gone. I noticed they had an embedded wire mesh inside the donut and this could be the reason they last longer. The only issue I see is when they wear down to the wire mesh, it gets so hot it leaves a mesh pattern embedded into the EXUP header pipes, almost like a knurl. Needs to be smoothed off before installing new.

I recall someone else on this forum stating in a different post that the copper donuts do not create a tight enough seal (i.e. firmer, not as soft) like the OEM ones do; at least that was his experience. However, that was not my experience with the ones I used on my Apex and Nytro and believe the copper donuts the user who posted that comment had gotten their copper donuts off eBay rather than from some reputable source like yourself or Ulmer Racing or Port Yamaha.

That is true.. I've done 5 of them with Coppers.. and none of them are as quiet as the OEM was. Even thou Yami upgraded them way back I didn't trust it so I keep putting copper in. Good enough.. not a big difference but you can tell over a OEM install if you know Apexs at all.
And the last one I did the OEM Ypipes were like new at 2700 miles so I reused them with Copper Donuts. The Ypipes will never fail now.. they fail because the donuts get soft and the pipes bounce around with in the clamps.

Last edited:
Ok! I will make sure its good and clean. Clamps came off easy but the Y-Pipe bracket bolts wont budge! One on the verge of stripping ******* allen head (thanks Yamaha). Walking the heat to them tonight and if worse comes to worse I'll drill the rivits out and get the entire pipe/bracket on the bench. How do you like your barker with the programmer? I went with the Ultra Q due to Maine's Noise laws but wanted to go with barker looks way better made!

I put heat from the O2 and Mapp gas combor torch from HomeDepot.. they come right off. Did 4 Attaks and Vector this way.. Also the donut clamps need heat on some of them too. I don't fool or waste time I just heat them and take them off.

last time I thought the OEM donuts went bad I yanked everything apart only to find one flex pipe was cracked ! Fixed that and put in copper donuts even though the OEMS looked fine. I DONT LIKE THIS LITTLE ISSUE!! Already had this procedure done twice as I hade bad Y pipes once too! replaced with stainless so I am hoping things stay put for a while! what a pain in the #*$&@.

The y pipes go because of bad donuts. I had a bad flex pipe as well once. With making the nuts Cherry Red before remove they come right out. I'd rather do the Exhaust on these then replace a 2 stroke or other issues know to many other brand sleds that these will never have.

Yes the y pipe bracket bolts came right out with heat as they were red lock tighted. The exhaust clamp bolts came out pretty easy too. I did hear that oem yamaha donuts have improved and now have a different part number. I am assuming that copper makes your sled louder due to copper not sealing the pipes completly or as well as the oem ones. So there are obvously pros and cons to each. Copper last forever but leak some and are better on the flanges. Oem will have to be changed every 5k or so but seal really well. So I guess it' up to the owner if I had to pay to have someone work on my sled I know what I would be going with. Thanks for all the input!!

I’m not really hearing any sound difference after switching to copper. Granted though I’ve only had the sled running in the driveway not on the trail.

I’m not really hearing any sound difference after switching to copper. Granted though I’ve only had the sled running in the driveway not on the trail.

Like I said above there is a difference but very faint or totally acceptable. If you compare a new or low mileage Attat /Apex to a Copper version you will see. Ask me how i know. I again saw the difference on this new (old) Attak with 2700 miles and OEM donuts I just finished putting Copper in.

Like I said above there is a difference but very faint or totally acceptable. If you compare a new or low mileage Attat /Apex to a Copper version you will see. Ask me how i know. I again saw the difference on this new (old) Attak with 2700 miles and OEM donuts I just finished putting Copper in.

Question I have will your sled quit with the copper installed using the towel test at the end of your exhaust? If it wont bog and quit with a wet towel then you are losing air from the donuts. My brother installed Ulmers donuts and now cannot get the sled to quit with the test; it will stall some but will not shut the engine down. I have read some people are installing with permatex to create a better seal, the longevity of the permatex who knows. No one has come right out and said and I have read plenty on this. I plan to install copper soon and trial if I cannot get the sled to stall then I will go back to oem. I assume that air lose will = some loss in power. I think that after all the years of production of the apex, vector, and nytro if copper was the ultimate fix yamaha would have switched over to copper. I like that exhaust donuts are the only worry I have and my nytro is by far the best sled I have owned. Great to work on, built like a rock glad I bought what I did. The new sleds just do not have the same build quality. I'll sacrifice weight savings for build quality any day of the week. When you work on these yourself you can really see the differences in quality yamaha and yamacat are no way in the same.

Last edited:
Question I have will your sled quit with the copper installed using the towel test at the end of your exhaust? If it wont bog and quit with a wet towel then you are losing air from the donuts. My brother installed Ulmers donuts and now cannot get the sled to quit with the test; it will stall some but will not shut the engine down. I have read some people are installing with permatex to create a better seal, the longevity of the permatex who knows. No one has come right out and said and I have read plenty on this. I plan to install copper soon and trial if I cannot get the sled to stall then I will go back to oem. I assume that air lose will = some loss in power. I think that after all the years of production of the apex, vector, and nytro if copper was the ultimate fix yamaha would have switched over to copper. I like that exhaust donuts are the only worry I have and my nytro is by far the best sled I have owned. Great to work on, built like a rock glad I bought what I did. The new sleds just do not have the same build quality. I'll sacrifice weight savings for build quality any day of the week. When you work on these yourself you can really see the differences in quality yamaha and yamacat are no way in the same.

Sorry for the delay I don't get emails from TY for subscriptions for some reason.... The noise isn't much..you have to know the machine to see or hear the difference. And we haven't had any issues ourselves with them now for years they've been used on our machines. I'd go with the Copper's.. I wouldn't install any sealer.. just gum stuff up.... I've never used the towel test. I might try next time I fire it up... most here have and no one has reported any issues.. over the years.

Sorry for the delay I don't get emails from TY for subscriptions for some reason.... The noise isn't much..you have to know the machine to see or hear the difference. And we haven't had any issues ourselves with them now for years they've been used on our machines. I'd go with the Copper's.. I wouldn't install any sealer.. just gum stuff up.... I've never used the towel test. I might try next time I fire it up... most here have and no one has reported any issues.. over the years.

Thanks for the response! Glad to hear the copper is working I'll put them in.

Back