• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex gear testing result

apexfx

Extreme
2 Apex,stock ,same miles,same everything
-top speed same
-hole shot same

2 Apexs,one with 23 40 gearing,one with stock gears
-same top speed
-same hole shot

Why was there no change,when gears where changed.

I run against a stock Apex occasionally that has 144 down the middle. I have 23/39 1.5 intense no picks. Loose snow I leave him. If he gets a good hook up its surprising how well he hangs with me on acceleration. I saw no reduction in top end with 23/39, only the big track drags it down a bit in loose snow on the big end. I would think all things equal, 23/40 vs. stock if both machines have equal hookup and are studded well, the geared down machine will pull better, but not as much as one would think.

I believe gearing with stock clutching YIELDS LESS results then gearing with CLUTCH KIT/MODS.

with my clutching i feel the 23 gear woke mine up bigtime....

I also feel that there is a bigger DIFFERENCE in sleds when you go from stock(GT) gearing of 24/38 to 23/38......maybe the combo/gearing you are comparing yields much less performance enhancement.

Dan

What were the RPM of both sleds ? Did the gear change effect your RPM ?

Goes to show you that these sleds appear to pull
stock gearing better than some reports on this
forum ?

Dan, gearing down stock clutching yields more of a result. Notice with stock clutching how they don't RPM till higher speed? Well, gearing down will allow the motor to come up to higher peak RPM quicker and accelerate faster than a sled with stock gearing. So the effect is two fold on stock clutched machine. Gear down to multiply tq. to drive axel, and an increase in RPM sooner as the shift force is lessened on top end with stock setup. Due to varying conditions it may not show that great of an improvement, i.e. spinning more being geared down. Get them in decent traction the geared down should walk away from the stock gear as long as it isn't overreving. If it's overreving to say 11,000, all gains will be null and void.

Mike, so when you gear down should you add more studs to get better traction, i'm running 144 1.325 studs and with the stock gearing it spin's real bad without getting the hook up so lowering gearing is just going to make it worse until i can figure out traction

You should be running 1.450. 1.325 will only make it spin. 1.450 gives 1/2" + penetration. You lucky to get 5/16 or less out of 1.325

Sledfreak is right ! SharkAttack your studs are hurting your performance !

Too little of penetration is the same as too many studs. If your spinning your not winning !

Before clutching and or gearing any sled it is a must to have traction first to make use of any improvements !

Back