• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

So now your relying on 3 set screws ? Good luck

Bearings with set screws on an extended inner race have been around for a long time on snowmobile driveshafts. Early on some people were drilling and tapping the drive shaft and then seating the screw into the bearing race. This was not successful, and I think the reason it did not work was because the set screw could not dig into the hardened bearing race. There are several types of set screws and a cupped tip set screw is intended to cut and dig into the contact surface. The drive shaft is softer and therefore the set screws can dig in and get a good hold. Yamaha always used 2 set screws on the speedo bearing, but I opted to go with 3 for extra measure. As with anything, time will be the ultimate test but I have confidence this is going to work.

In the past on other sleds I've used the NTN Formula Blue 1" bearings with a wide collar and 2 set screws. The set screws had an encased ball tip and would indent the shaft but if you failed to loctite them they would come loose eventually and spin on the shaft with predictable results. I have since gone back to an eccentric collar bearing on trail sleds and use the other on race sleds.

So now your relying on 3 set screws ? Good luck
in the past on my apex and back in the 2s srx days ,they had 2 set screws holdin inner , and allways held fine almost to good , was a pita to bust em loose to replace a bearing

in the past on my apex and back in the 2s srx days ,they had 2 set screws holdin inner , and allways held fine almost to good , was a pita to bust em loose to replace a bearing
But you weren’t putting it on a worn shaft . Again good luck with this new concept but I’d personally ONLY use it on a good shaft

Last edited:
This new concept drive shaft repair ,utilizing a UNWORN inboard section on the drive shaft ,as well as a pressed in collar on the bearing end I.D. is better than what came out of the factory all these years. The added plus is no new drive shaft expense,and no need for hours of dis assembl/re-assembly.there is no downside ✅

Last edited:
debating whether to install this from new, I am doing a track change on my new sled, and it would be the time to do it.

Thanks. That's what I needed.
Just loosen up the track then reach under sled and grab diveshaft on left side in tunnel and push up and down on it. If it has play you will feel it and bearing has spun and wore shaft.

Just loosen up the track then reach under sled and grab diveshaft on left side in tunnel and push up and down on it. If it has play you will feel it and bearing has spun and wore shaft.
Good to know. I pulled the rear skid on Friday. Too bad I didn't see your message first. Now I need to figure out who to have rebuild the shocks.

Sled is stored in off season in a garage a couple hours away so I'll have to wait until next time I'm that direction to take a look.

I have 2 sidewinders. One is brand new with zero miles. The other has 15k miles. 6k miles with the wedge. Both are getting this bearing, and the wedge. I can't stand problems.

I have 2 sidewinders. One is brand new with zero miles. The other has 15k miles. 6k miles with the wedge. Both are getting this bearing, and the wedge. I can't stand problems.
slimjim, can I ask why you added the wedge at 9k miles? was the shaft worn on the DX or was it for insurance against failure of the bearing and shaft. Joe

Driveshaft was toast. Got a new driveshaft, and put the wedge in. No problems in 8k miles with the wedge. Just remembered I have had the wedge for 2 seasons, so a little over 8k miles. I sent the old driveshaft out and had it spray welded and turned to size. I keep it as a backup. There are 9 sidewinders in our crew.

Driveshaft was toast. Got a new driveshaft, and put the wedge in. No problems in 8k miles with the wedge. Just remembered I have had the wedge for 2 seasons, so a little over 8k miles. I sent the old driveshaft out and had it spray welded and turned to size. I keep it as a backup. There are 9 sidewinders in our crew.
I have 4k miles on a 2020 stx gt, I have no idea what the driveshaft looks like but I will have to inspect it. The dealer says its fine but I doubt they actually checked it. Just wondering if I should just put in the wedge. I was advised not to put the wedge in until it needed it...so a little confused...with 9 sidewinders in your group, what is the consensus. Joe

Put the wedge in on a new driveshaft. If it is worn, the wedge will likely not take up the slack. Get it checked, and start from there.
thanks for the advise Jim...I'm going to do just that soon. I have heard that not all drive shafts wear but will check it. BOP has some pictures of different shafts and I will use that as a guide. Joe

Back