• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

I still think even with this design the wear in shaft should be addressed either with shim,welding or maybe even Epoxy. The load on bearing is not going to be centered under the bearing. Kind of like a offset rim can be hard on a bearing. It would be ideal if the brake hub could be machined narrower at back and collar extended and splined. Would not need the set screws at that point and sleeve would have support at both sides of bearing if fit was good. Probably cost prohibitive though. Hope this proves successful.
I think it will be fine.
I can't see how it's any different than bearings that have set screw collars on one side

Does anyone make a completely new shaft with better tolerances? Years ago there was a tool company in Connecticut that made better shafts for our Thundercats that did not twist or break. They worked great. Perhaps the best solution is a better shaft with a matching high quality bearing that has a better fit.

Stock seal is 45x65x8. Collar was spec'd to 54mm OD as you can get a 54x65x8 seal.

Let me know how it works out for you. I could likely make a custom one for you that has a key way slip fit between bearing and collar if needed.
Seal: 54 x 65 x 8. (https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/00769416)

CR SEALS (SKF)54X65X8 CRW1 R

Single Lip Oil Seal - Solid, 54 mm Shaft, 65 mm OD, 8 mm Width, CRW1 Design, Nitrile Rubber (NBR) Lip Material

Does anyone make a completely new shaft with better tolerances? Years ago there was a tool company in Connecticut that made better shafts for our Thundercats that did not twist or break. They worked great. Perhaps the best solution is a better shaft with a matching high quality bearing that has a better fit.
IMO, if someone is going to make a new shaft from scratch for this application, then they may as well just make it so bearing presses on. Problem solved.

If you are going with a new shaft, then the original part plus the BOP driveshaft saver is a proven, easy, off the shelf solution.

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question - but I'm hoping to get at my sled this weekend to pull the shocks for rebuild.

I won't have a lot of time but is there a quicker way to check is the driveshaft is worn? I'm assuming I'd need to get the bearing accessible and check for movement. I've changed these bearings out on a Polaris but not yet on a procross so I'm not that familiar with that part of it.

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question - but I'm hoping to get at my sled this weekend to pull the shocks for rebuild.

I won't have a lot of time but is there a quicker way to check is the driveshaft is worn? I'm assuming I'd need to get the bearing accessible and check for movement. I've changed these bearings out on a Polaris but not yet on a procross so I'm not that familiar with that part of it.
The easy way is to call Travis at Barn of parts.You can check out the new concept drive shaft repair he offers.you are going to have the brake caliber off to inspect it ,you can fix it at the same time with a new bearing and collar assy. He can be reached at 717-821-9639

Travis (Barn of Parts) previously posted this:

And the interference fit of the collar to the inner race of the bearing.Ride on

Travis (Barn of Parts) previously posted this:
Thanks. That's what I needed.

Back