• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery with Boost

The only problem I have read about is their ability to sustain an extended session of cranking when the sled becomes hard to start. They also seem to require some amount of warmup, as in, crank for a few seconds, wait, crank for longer, wait, crank... if that doesn't work, wait for a while for the battery to recover. All anecdotal as I only read about them when deciding what to get and ended up getting the larger YUASA 20 series (YTX20H-BS) which is a big improvement over the 14 series.

Lithium Ion batteries do not fare well in extreme cold.

FYI. Googled. Note the charge temp. 32 degrees.

Battery type Charge temperature Discharge temperature
Lead acid –20°C to 50°C (–4°F to 122°F) –20°C to 50°C (–4°F to 122°F)
NiCd, NiMH 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F) –20°C to 65°C (–4°F to 149°F)
Li-ion 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F) –20°C to 60°C (–4°F to 140°F)
Charging Batteries at High and Low Temperatures – Battery University
batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

The first thing I noticed about the battery after looking it at via the link provided was the boost pack where you had to press a button on top of the battery. Depending on which sled you're thinking about installing this on, that could be an issue. For example, I wouldn't want to use this on an Apex where you have to remove windshield, gauge pod, headlight, and air box to access the battery.

I use a Shorai in my 06 Apex. Below about 10F is where they don't want to crank. Below that temp after the machine has sat out all night is where the problems is. It does take sometime to get the battery warm enough to crank at full speed to start the engine. Its really weird if you have never actually experienced the procedure. At first turn of the key the battery sounds almost completely dead. As you cycle the starter and get juice flowing the battery slowly comes to life. The first couple cranks you will swear the sled is NEVER going to start. But it eventually does. The starting issue doesn't last thoughout the day. After the initial cold start in the morning everything is back to normal. I knew about these issue before hand and made sure I purchased the largest battery that would fit.

Its a slight inconvenience on cold mornings, especially when people are looking at you like your sled is dead. But on the heavy Apex I feel that the weight savings is worth the minor periodic inconvenience.

Lithium batteries are SH*$ below -15C the colder they get the worse they are. The whole procedure of crank and wait in our opinion is not worth the weight savings. I guess when everyone in your group is using the same tech then no one seems to notice or care. But if your the only one waiting while the rest of group is ready. Ill take the regular battery every single time. Were tried every way till Tuesday to make the lithium batteries work (we used to be a EarthX dealer) No longer. We ran them for 3-4 years every year was the same ol stuff. Waiting no starts etc. Now they may be different in the Apex but in the Viper they were truly the worst things possible.

Lithium batteries are SH*$ below -15C the colder they get the worse they are. The whole procedure of crank and wait in our opinion is not worth the weight savings. I guess when everyone in your group is using the same tech then no one seems to notice or care. But if your the only one waiting while the rest of group is ready. Ill take the regular battery every single time. Were tried every way till Tuesday to make the lithium batteries work (we used to be a EarthX dealer) No longer. We ran them for 3-4 years every year was the same ol stuff. Waiting no starts etc. Now they may be different in the Apex but in the Viper they were truly the worst things possible.

Agreed. If you've ever tried to use portable power tools in the cold, you'd understand.

That being said. Havant tried this product yet. But If a battery co. could implement the Super caps into a single unit. Id be all over it. https://www.eautotools.com/Rockford-RFD1000-p/rfd1000.htm

The problem with super caps is you might get 2 to 3 seconds of cranking out of normal battery size package. I’ve seen a story lately about cold weather use litium batteries that have heating elements between the cells which heat up the battery to optimum temperature in under 30 seconds and uses less than 10% of the batteries capacity to do so. Would basically work like an older diesel with a glow plug system, turn the key on and wait for the “wait to start” light to go out.

My super cap on my 14 Viper works great. Just disconnect over the summer or it drains your battery to ZERO.

I switched to a lithium PLUS the UC ~54 farad and it worked dang nice. The UC makes up for the cold lithium. I never got to deep in sub zero to fully test but I think it will work.
Surprised no company has built a battery with a Cap right in it.Wonder why not?

My super cap on my 14 Viper works great. Just disconnect over the summer or it drains your battery to ZERO.

A super cap would be great added to a battery, super cap alone would have to be car battery+ size to work with the 4 strokes. I've been looking to add a smaller super cap above the clutch guard to give/maintain 12+ volts to the ECM while starting. Either that, or a short pigtail with a quick connect to the battery so I can plug in a warmed up Lithium jump pack on cold mornings.

Back