• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

bearing greased with hypodermic needle

I assume you are talking about the jack shaft and speedo drive bearings? If so, just pop off the seals. I tried using a grease needle under the seal and it just popped the seal off anyways. I have been applying fresh gease to these bearings at the end of every season for the last 4 years without any issues. The seal retains just fine after being removed and installed. The only issue you can have is if you put to much grease back in the bearing. I did that one year and just had to spend more time cleaning up the bulkhead after the season. I have read were other people have drilled a small hole in the seal to insert a grease needle. IMO it is better to just remove and reinstall the seal. G.B.

Get them from an automotive store, even Walmart has them. They attach to a grease gun.

Can be tough to feed the needle by the lip of a seal though. I've broken a couple that way. I prefer to pop the seal off, clean out the old grease with WD40 and grease it with my finger.

I have used the needle attachment to grease the wheels in the skid. You can insert it under the seal without damaging them. They don't take a lot of grease but it makes a difference.

For the jackshaft and speedo bearing (clutch side) they are easy take the seal off and regrease, If you check the stickies there is a detailed step by step on how to do it.

Yep. Annual ritual for me. Just don't completely pack it with grease as it may push the seals out.

Grimm said:
Can be tough to feed the needle by the lip of a seal though. I've broken a couple that way. I prefer to pop the seal off, clean out the old grease with WD40 and grease it with my finger.

I have done this for over well 30,000 kms on my yamahas with great results (no bearing failures). I do it twice a season.

Not the jack shaft or drive shaft bearings. I was thinking of the guide wheels, as I allways remove the seals to clean them and regrease.

Just thought that it would be easier to do the guide wheels like a dealer told me that he does.

Dealer/Yamaha replaced all my idlers ( 6 per sled ) as they were all a bit rough after first year, but gave me all the idlers with the non-replaceable bearings. I found I could remove the seals on these using 2 small jeweler screwdrivers. Seal just come thur the plastic on the wheel, done this many times after finding the grease smoothed them out.

Back