• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snub shaft, last question, promise!?!?

Bob, it's stupid question time...do I rotate the clutch with the track or start it and throttle???
Is there a preferred spot on the secondary that would give me the most accurate measurement for dial indicator?
When you stated the snub was visually not true I thought you were referring to the ENG stub shaft.
If the machined surface of the secondary clutch shaft is what you were referring to its not optimum but not that critical and should not cause clutch wobble. With the amount that has been removed you will most likely require some shimming to get the offset you are looking for and that will also help with clearance for the clutch face.

When you stated the snub was visually not true I thought you were referring to the ENG stub shaft.
If the machined surface of the secondary clutch shaft is what you were referring to its not optimum but not that critical and should not cause clutch wobble. With the amount that has been removed you will most likely require some shimming to get the offset you are looking for and that will also help with clearance for the clutch face.
I was just thinking about this. Haha!! Thank you.....
Yes, I have offset at 57.62 with factory 1mm shim.
IMG_20221204_145435900_copy_1536x1509.jpg

WTF is going on here?

JT, why would you think the secondary shaft is not true? I'd have to think it was done on a lathe and not a bench grinder or hand grinder. If you think it's not true because of your picture, you have to remember the movable is going to wobble on the shaft because of the bushing clearance. It is true if done on a lathe at the machine shop.

Its going to be fine, put it together, set the offset and send it! The movable should not hit on anything. If your worried about it hitting, put it together, rev it up on the stand till the belt tops out in the primary and have a look see if anything hits, which it wont if you set the offset correct and the engine stub shaft is in place properly, which you said you just did.

Note: it will hit if you take the spring out and push it to full shift as it could travel further than it will ever run on the sled under power.

Last edited:
WTF is going on here?

JT, why would you think the secondary shaft is not true? I'd have to think it was done on a latch and not a bench grinder or hand grinder. If you think it's not true because of your picture, you have to remember the movable is going to wobble on the shaft because of the bushing clearance. It is true if done on a lath at the machine shop.

Its going to be fine, put it together, set the offset and send it! The movable should not hit on anything. If your worried about it hitting, put it together, rev it up on the stand till the belt tops out in the primary and have a look see if anything hits, which it wont if you set the offset correct and the engine stub shaft is in place properly, which you said you just did.

Note: it will hit if you take the spring out and push it to full shift as it could travel further than it will ever run on the sled under power.
Mike....are you just now starting to realize my lack of mechanical abilities? Lol.
All good! Thanks for the explanation. Everything is going as planned.
I spend my days reading old threads and try to decipher things b4 I make my attempt.

Note: I'm pretty sure the machinist used an angle grinder & likes to drink Smirnoff. Lol.

WTF is going on here?

JT, why would you think the secondary shaft is not true? I'd have to think it was done on a latch and not a bench grinder or hand grinder. If you think it's not true because of your picture, you have to remember the movable is going to wobble on the shaft because of the bushing clearance. It is true if done on a lath at the machine shop.

Mike, I had a sled come to me one time where someone had machined a bit too much off there and then it was touching at full shift.
That's all.

Mike, I had a sled come to me one time where someone had machined a bit too much off there and then it was touching at full shift.
That's all.
Offset was not right then or stub shaft was pushed in

Back