• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

belt number 2

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 rtx se
2011 apex xtx
and the saga continues....first belt gone at 300 mile....put a new one on and pussy footing around for the last 400 miles half afraid to punch it in fear of belt snapping again....sled was serviced and clutch alignment was all checked .... dealer says all was good with clutch setup last Monday ...so today i went for a lil rip and low and behold at 740 miles .... you guessed it another belt gone..... startin to not like this at all...

Stock or tuned? Some info[/QU

270 race hurricane... just like before ... belt just ripped in half....not shredded ... before it was on gas ,off gas and back on hard... this time just on gas hard at bout 30 -40 mph and ka-boom

270 race hurricane... just like before ... belt just ripped in half....not shredded ... before it was on gas ,off gas and back on hard... this time just on gas hard at bout 30 -40 mph and ka-boom

What is the clutch setup?

Let me guess.....too much weight and secondary spring too stiff. Snapping belts at 40 mph is way off.

Blew my first belt yesterday. 8DN belt with 1020 miles on it. Come to a straight away and punched it let off and was cruising at 40mph and belt just grenaded. Was running the 240race tune. Belt had a lot of fast trail riding on it and probably 8 WOT pulls with the 270race tune.

Attachments

• A9CA9F69-AFA3-4FAB-9CD8-CA3D45CA5708.jpeg
    A9CA9F69-AFA3-4FAB-9CD8-CA3D45CA5708.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 68
^^^^^ totally different scenario. Wait until you have one that looks like you cut it on a chop saw. Sounds like a shotgun and is extremely destructive.

Try TP orange springs in primary and secondary with Dalton Weights at 77grams. Check my posts. Was on basically your belt schedule last year( very frustrating and now it's very smooth. I got 1800 miles on last 8jp running it hard in all temps this year with TD powertrail.

83 gr stm in primary and stock secondary

Any idea how the stm compares to the Dalton as far as how aggressive they'd compare? I've never seen a stm here but sounds like not as aggressive profile perhaps.

and the saga continues....first belt gone at 300 mile....put a new one on and pussy footing around for the last 400 miles half afraid to punch it in fear of belt snapping again....sled was serviced and clutch alignment was all checked .... dealer says all was good with clutch setup last Monday ...so today i went for a lil rip and low and behold at 740 miles .... you guessed it another belt gone..... startin to not like this at all...

This is what mine was doing when I got it from the dealer. There is a bad batch of secondary clutches out there/or there is a flaw in the design of the secondary.

The belt doesn't return properly to the top of the secondary when going on/off/on the throttle, or on hard braking. Run your sled on a jack stand with the sidepanel open and you will see this. I snapped 3 in 300 kms untill i figured out what was happening.

Yamaha has been zero help to me so far, basically told me not to drive my sled aggressively.

Take your secodary apart, put it back together without the spring in it, and make sure its not binding anywhere. Mine had a couple of casting flashes that were rough. Get yourself the dalton orange and black secondary spring and wrap it to 6-1.

I got 1500kms to my last belt on the 270r tune, and I drive hard. This is about the same KMS we used to get per belt on turbo nytros, apex and vipers in the past. So pretty happy.

My Current belt has about 600 kms on it. Did many drag races and top speed runs on it. I ran 117 Mph at the gravenhurst speed runs yesterday, and the belt still looks perfect.

Back