• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt problem critique please

Last weekend we put around 600 miles on, no belt dust .last year I had a tin of dust.

Clutches run really cool . Biggest difference was the way the machine shifts now. It's so smooth.

XS825? Were the clutches hot before?

XS825? Were the clutches hot before?
Yes xs825. My clutches never ran really hot , but with this belt the clutches are almost cold after a big run. Compared to an 850 I run with its night and day difference.

I replaced the belt today. I rode on a belt for less than 1000 km. What could be the reason for such damage? I drive a BTX through deep snow. I set the transmission to 21/49. Secondary spring epi purple acss-5. But the clutch gets very hot after the ride. The bearing on the short shaft is installed correctly.
I have now installed the xs825 belt.
Screenshot_20240128_202538.jpgScreenshot_20240128_201922.jpg

I replaced the belt today. I rode on a belt for less than 1000 km. What could be the reason for such damage? I drive a BTX through deep snow. I set the transmission to 21/49. Secondary spring epi purple acss-5. But the clutch gets very hot after the ride. The bearing on the short shaft is installed correctly.
I have now installed the xs825 belt.
View attachment 175295View attachment 175296

What offset are you running?
Setup to float or bolted solid secondary?
What is the EPI spring set at?
Helix?
Belt?
Primary weights and tune?
Offset?

There can be so many reasons why. Wrong offset, clutch sticking outward if it floats and not lining up, poor clutching, oil on belt, but looking at the belt I'd wager the offset is off completely just because the damage is on one side. You lucky you caught it before it blew to pieces.

Can you post some more pictures of the sides of the belt where it is damaged?

The clutch settings are standard. I didn't change anything, just shifted the gear to 21/49. The EPI spring is set to 1-0. The belt is 8jp. The clutch is attached to a standard bolt.

I previously removed the 2mm on the secondary clutch. But when using a standard bolt, the clutch had a stroke. I returned the washer with a diameter of 2 mm. Before the removal of 2 mm, the offset was within acceptable values according to the instructions.

Today, during the trip, I observed revolutions in the region of 9100-9300 rpm. I think the belt started to collapse at high revs. I felt it and decided to stop and check it out.

With that gearing you are easily fully shifting out the clutches to max overdrive so the belt speed at 9200rpm is very high and IMO you are overheating and also exceeding the belt strength and ability to survive under extreme conditions.

The greatest damage to the belt is from the outside of the snowmobile, if you look at the belt when it is installed.

With that gearing you are easily fully shifting out the clutches to max overdrive so the belt speed at 9200rpm is very high and IMO you are overheating and also exceeding the belt strength and ability to survive under extreme conditions.
What ideas can there be? Increase primary weights? I'm tired of being afraid to hit full throttle.

The clutch settings are standard. I didn't change anything, just shifted the gear to 21/49. The EPI spring is set to 1-0. The belt is 8jp. The clutch is attached to a standard bolt.

I previously removed the 2mm on the secondary clutch. But when using a standard bolt, the clutch had a stroke. I returned the washer with a diameter of 2 mm. Before the removal of 2 mm, the offset was within acceptable values according to the instructions.

Today, during the trip, I observed revolutions in the region of 9100-9300 rpm. I think the belt started to collapse at high revs. I felt it and decided to stop and check it out.

Doesn't answer most of the important questions... Offset being the most important.

Take the Purple EPI spring out for now and go back to the stock spring & settings, no need for more secondary spring being geared so low and on stock tune.

Screenshot_20240129_153858.jpg
I installed only other gears and the EPI spring.
I'll measure the offset later.

In picture 5/8 it appears the belt may be burnt where the damage is.

Back