• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blower Belt Gone :(

SoCoRX1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
About 3-5 miles boosted so far on my sled. Blower belt broke as i was going up the trail about 25mph. i Was not being rough on the sled. probably hit 8000rpm coming up the trail for 2-3 secs but thats about the most its seen.

Belt shards were all over the MPI oil tank and my brake caliper. I was just riding like normal then i couldnt hear any more air being sucked in my prefilter and my boost gauge wasnt showing boost. Stopped about 100ft later and the belt was upside down halfway off the pulley.

The great news is my friend at High Altitude Boost is going to drive down to me to figure out whats wrong and fix it. I must say im pretty impressed!

Any ideas? just a bad belt?

SoCoRX1 said:
About 3-5 miles boosted so far on my sled. Blower belt broke as i was going up the trail about 25mph. i Was not being rough on the sled. probably hit 8000rpm coming up the trail for 2-3 secs but thats about the most its seen.

Belt shards were all over the MPI oil tank and my brake caliper. I was just riding like normal then i couldnt hear any more air being sucked in my prefilter and my boost gauge wasnt showing boost. Stopped about 100ft later and the belt was upside down halfway off the pulley.

The great news is my friend at High Altitude Boost is going to drive down to me to figure out whats wrong and fix it. I must say im pretty impressed!

Any ideas? just a bad belt?

First thing I'd check is alingnment of the pulleys.

Something isn't right there, like lakercr said, alignment, tension, or bad bearing would cause that.

For additional info, here's one of my old (Sep 2006) posts about an issue I had with blower belts. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=31329

700miles on my current one -- still looks brand new !!!

Pictures of belt below were before I had installed a Bypass-Valve.

Attachments

• Belt Wear (2).jpg
    Belt Wear (2).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Belt Wear (1).jpg
    Belt Wear (1).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 73
As per Jared and Steve over @ MPI, if the belt is too loose you'll have missing belt teeth or if the belt is too tight the belt will explode.

Do you have a BOV?

I'm stumped. I have over 1300 miles on the original belt with no issues what-so-ever. I don't run a BOV and am usually on/off the throttle alot (old habbit from the old Polaris Tripple Mod days). I did blow the other belt though last season (wasn't aware that was adjustable)and I now carry a spare of each just in case. Definately check the pulley allignment.

Does yours have the alluminum pullies like the nytro kits? I have seen where the pullies have come loose on these. Maybe that's what happened to you.

Yakuza said:
Thanks to Ted Jannetty I now have a BOV on my SC. So far so good.

Bypass valve or BOV with a S/C?? (maybe I am letting my S/C Mustang thinking get in the way?)

A blow off valve is only open under High vacuum or Decleration and not usually open at Idle or cruise speeds.

A Bypass is open any time 1.5" Hg vacuum or more are present in the throttle bodies, idle light throttle cruise and closes immediately when vacuum drops to 0.

Ted Jannetty said:
A blow off valve is only open under High vacuum or Decleration and not usually open at Idle or cruise speeds.

A Bypass is open any time 1.5" Hg vacuum or more are present in the throttle bodies, idle light throttle cruise and closes immediately when vacuum drops to 0.

Yes, I understand Ted, I had actually 'mityvac'd' mine to close at about 3 or 4" of vacuum on the car....

Are these S/C sled guys using a Bypass or blow off? I could see the bypass working good, as with a sled you are always under a significant load??? Or do they simply use a blow off for decel?

87gtNOS said:
Ted Jannetty said:

Yes, I understand Ted, I had actually 'mityvac'd' mine to close at about 3 or 4" of vacuum on the car....

Are these S/C sled guys using a Bypass or blow off? I could see the bypass working good, as with a sled you are always under a significant load??? Or do they simply use a blow off for decel?

Bypass Is what I sell and recommend.

Hopefully they get it fixed!!!! I would be pretty upset spending all that money and it blowing the first ride!!!

Something had to be installed wrong

Let me know what happens

took it to High Altitude Boost today. After close inspection (and about 6 hours of figuring stuff out) it was decided that the upper pulley was wobbling causing the bearing in the idler pulley to come loose and leak oil. The upper pulley is bent.

It was difficult figuring out what to do since i need my sled (use it for work, snowmobile tours). Trey (high altitude boost) had another lower pulley and put it up top to replace the upper pulley and it worked. now running 26/26 pulleys and it makes 7lbs of boost. MPI sent out new pulleys and 2 new belts so i have a spare and they overnighted it. Should show up tomorrow. Trey was nice enough to find someone with a spare belt that was used but it works just fine. Sled runs great now, just at 7psi unitl the weekend or next week. Doesnt matter to me though. I can highmark my riding buddy on his XP so im happy.

Much thanks to High Altitude Boost. long day but it got figured out and now i have a temporary solution.

Back