• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Build of a $600 SR Viper

So I worked my but off tonight, got lots done.
IMG_0748.JPG

Dual chambers are looking nice
IMG_0750.JPG

We're motoring now
IMG_0753.JPG

I just had to throw the seat on it and bounce around driving it like I was some wild snowmobiler going 150mph. All was fun until my wife walked in amidst me doing this with that look on her face saying "what's the matter with you" and all I could do is laugh and say "WHAT" as she turned around and walked out, hey what can I say it was 1:00am and sleep deprivation was kicking in. You know you all have done it :D just maybe never got caught like I did.
:sled1:
IMG_0759.JPG

So there is where it is for the weekend

Wow that abused orphan sled sure found the right home!!!!

Beautiful work!!!

What is the black subframe material and how heavy is it? Cast aluminum, formed, etc? That is a lot of work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the factory YamaCat sub-frame it is extruded aluminum side pieces and the front piece is cast,bit is all welded together right where the steering pivot goes through.
The side pieces are pretty light weight, that's why I think it bent in the first place.

Floe edge was a bust winds to 60Kph, no hunting today.

My Professional in all her glory, man do I love this machine. I loaned my kamotik box to some buddies doing a polar bear sport hunt that is going on right now so I had to tarp everything on. My son missed the box more than I did though, because this is where he would normally ride, with mom of course.
DSCN4771 - Copy.JPG

The 2 month old Ski-doo that is on the Kamotik took a dip with 2 aboard and the only thing that stopped it from going all the way down was the kamotik hitched behind it, all are OK. Everyone works together and and hauls butt to help, because one day any one of us could be in the same situation. As you can tell I hate parking in a big group on the ice, especially when a sled was just sunk.
DSCN4772 - Copy.JPG

Coffee break on the way back to town, my 4 year old wishing he could ride the kamotik back to town.
DSCN4773 - Copy.JPG

Well time to get back to work on my Viper, and get some more done...;)!

So keeping with the light weight theme, I just bought from SSI a C3 belt drive for the Viper, it uses the Cat 1100 belt drive but has SSI's/BD Xtreme Yamaha shaft to fit the clutches.
I also purchased a Superlight brake disc and an antistab kit from them.
I had awesome timing they just started a spring sale today, so I saved a bunch Woohoo.
Also I done a homebrew headlight delete I will get pics up of it soon, it turned out alright I think.
Now I just need to get fat bar adapters for my Fly aluminum bars and then that's another weight reduction. The fly bars are way lighter than the factory ones.
I have a 5 gallon pail full of parts that have been eliminated from this sled and the weight is adding up quickly in it.

Last edited:
Wow cool! I just googled your location, my god your up there! Whats the draw to that town or the main prosperity there?

Yah we are a little up there. We are in a huge melt at the moment supposed rain in the next couple of days and +5 degree day time temps, this is no good if I want to run this sled prior to the melt!!!

Bunch of new parts for the rear suspension just arrived. I just wish I had read through the thread that cannondale27 had wrote in the viper frequently asked questions, prior to ordering these. Thanks to all who have contributed to that area by the way.
cannondale posted about the rear suspension cross shaft being a weak link and breaking on these and then tearing the tunnel up exactly how mine is, he also included the part #'s for upgrading to the RR shaft for the larger diameter shaft and also getting the tunnel support plates.;)!

Oh well if these pose any problems I will upgrade later.

IMG_0760.JPG

Time to get the track under this:Rockon::Rockon::Rockon:

Here is what has also been done,

Head light deleted. I still need to make a small rubber covered hook to hold the front of the bezel in place, so that it doesn't move around.
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG

here is how I did it, I cut the two wings off of the bezel (blue tape is the cut line) that wrapped the headlight allowing the bezel to come down closer to the hood. I might trim the front of the bezel down so that it sits flatter and lower down on the hood or I might just leave it and drill a bunch of holes in underneath, frog skin them and allow lots of air movement right off the top of the motor.
IMG_0763.JPG

Your child riding behind you is awesome. I love the goggles and the BIG mitts. Don't leave him/her on the ice, it would look like a seal with those big mitt/flippers. What an amazing place you all live in.

I'm wondering about the headlight delete ... won't you need it in the winter. Or is the viper your sports car for tooling around in the spring? Thanks for sharing the photos and keeping us posted ... it is a long summer for me down here and longer for them down there.

Your child riding behind you is awesome. I love the goggles and the BIG mitts. Don't leave him/her on the ice, it would look like a seal with those big mitt/flippers. What an amazing place you all live in.

I'm wondering about the headlight delete ... won't you need it in the winter. Or is the viper your sports car for tooling around in the spring? Thanks for sharing the photos and keeping us posted ... it is a long summer for me down here and longer for them down there.

Thanks YMP, my son is turning 4 this year and he is my dude, he wants to follow me everywhere and it's great. The mitts are old departmental issue mitts, absolutely useless for anything else other then sitting there with them on, but they are warm! They are to thick you can barely hold on to the bars when wearing them. Yes it is amazing up here but I do miss trees every once in a while.

As to the headlight delete and all the other stuff, yes this is going to be my joy ride spring time toy so it is on a diet and anything that isn't necessary is getting deleted...

Lots more to come. I'll keep the pics coming as well.

Not much to report yet, kind of depressing the rapid rate the snow is melting, oh well I knew it was coming. This week's super warm weather has just about wiped the snow out. Land trips are all but busted now there are lots of rocks, water and super soft snow. We are just about restricted to the ice now. My wife and I and a bunch of friends are going about 40 miles away tomorrow to go ice fishing for some Char, at least my Professional is still getting a work out.

But one thing did show up in the mail, the J&T ATV stealth big wheel kit has made it here, man these things are sweet. I know going from 7.125" factory wheel to the 7.5" J&T, isn't that much but I have always been for larger diameter rear wheels to help reduce the rolling resistance of the track. I can't wait to get these on.
IMG_4541.JPG

Back