• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Build of a $600 SR Viper

OK, so here are some weight comparisons that I have read about.

1 lb sprung weight = 1 lb static weight
1 lb unsprung weight = 3 lb static weight
1 lb rotational weight = 7 lb static weight (roughly; 5-10 lbs is what is figured)

So with all that being said, I am truly thinking on porting my track. I have read many posts about this idea for a couple of years now and it is intriguing to me. I really haven't read too much bad that would warrant it not being done, especially regarding my riding conditions; hard snow and no branches. Plus it will show how tough these Composit tracks are, if at all. If it blows then it blows, but if it holds together after a bunch of holes are cut into it through the belts then something has to be said about the durability of them. Also on a side note about porting the track, it is really suppose to free the track up allowing it to flex and travel easier around the skid frame, freeing up lost horsepower. I am going to try it and see what happens I just have to figure a pattern, I am thinking 3 - 1 1/4" holes across the center belt keeping them all in the same orientation and inline so that it only cuts the same threads around the track.

With my belt drive coming and lighter brake disc and jack shaft, plus porting the track I will have to do some math and roughly figure out the difference they will make. I am also thinking trying as much as possible to lighten up some of the unsprung weight on this machine as well. Maybe Ti bolts for the skid and ski hardware. It sucks because I have brand new skis on this and they are listed as one of the heaviest out there, they are the kimpex stealth skis. I am also considering liberal use of aluminum fasteners for non load bearing hardware, thinking body bolts and things; cheaper and lighter then Ti ones.

Some food for thought...

I received 3/4 my order from BDX. The reverse delete jack shaft for the belt drive is here, anti stab kit and the super light brake disc. Still waiting for the belt drive.

All the bits
IMG_0768.JPG

Unbelievable how much lighter this brake disc is, just by feeling it I would say 1/3 the weight of the stocker.
There are a massive amount of burrs on it though, it will need to be de-burred before use.
IMG_0767.JPG

Still waiting for the belt drive to come in, that is being shipped here directly from C3. It is kind of odd that the packages from the USA have arrived here before the one from Canada, I would have thought that the parcels not having to clear customs would have expedited the delivery greatly. I also ordered up fat bar adapters from Cheetah Factory Racing, they should be here this week as well. I might have to go with a taller riser, I am 6'5" tall and with boots on even taller so I am unsure at the moment if I will like this setup or not, we will see and go from there.

Still waiting on the belt drive. It turned winter here again last week and has prolonged our season a bit. Still running around on the Pro

OMG! is it Christmas time in the June, well almost June that is.
Belt drive is finally here and we still have SNOW!!! I just might be able to get this together and ride it before the snow melts.
IMG_0770.JPG

Also the CFR handle bar mounts come in last week and the fat bars are already on. Can't Wait, Can't Wait, Can't Wait !!!

Pic just taken to show the snow, it is getting slim in spots but still holding on.
IMG_0772.JPG

Unbelievable I am going to finish putting in Docks / lifts and mow the lawn and you may ride.............what a world we live in.

Looks great, like I said previously that sled landed in the right guys hands. Have fun and be safe.

Unbelievable I am going to finish putting in Docks / lifts and mow the lawn and you may ride.............what a world we live in.

Looks great, like I said previously that sled landed in the right guys hands. Have fun and be safe.

Up till now I have not stopped riding yet, I spent all afternoon yesterday goose hunting on my VK Pro. Don't tell my boss's because I was suppose to be checking water and ice levels on one of the local river so that I can get up it on the jet boat to finish some projects in the park here. So I guess I have the best of both worlds at the moment, boating and sledding all in the same day. Ha ha I definitely do not miss mowing grass, I grew up on a farm in the south and having to mow and trim almost ten acres of front lawn it was always a 10 hour ordeal and bloody arduous at times, my moms flowers some times took a beating, Oops!

The sled is slowly but surely coming together, I will get some pics up once some things have been installed.

I know in your thread title you say it's going to be a $600 sled but if I was you I wouldn't take less than eight no matter what.

One thing for sure the north is the land of extremes and y'er norther than I am.

So not much to report on my end here, other then warm weather and rain so this season no good for the Viper. OH well gives me more time to build it I guess. I will get some pics up soon.

Well we are having a snow storm here right now, the falling snow inspired me to let you all know what's up with this build.
The rear suspension/skid is back together with the anti stab and big wheel kit on it. I pressed the new drivers on the drive shaft on Friday and removed all the old bearings that support the jack and drive shaft. I will start soon with the install of the track and rear suspension, with these in place it will allow me to start installing the belt drive. Once I get this all done the sled will finally be supporting it's own weight again, that will be nice to see!!

It'slowly but surely coming together.

I forgot to mention, on Friday I took ownership of a second complete motor, it is out of a 2013? RS venture the motor came with throttle bodies but no starter and it was running when removed. Scored for it $300.00.
Over the last little bit of this season my VK Pro decided to eat it's starter and reduction gear, also it blew it's oil cooler. So I had to relieve the Viper of some it's motor parts while they weren't in use. I hate doing things like that but the 2-week time period that it takes for parts to arrive here warranted it. Now they can be replaced, along with a second remanded E bay starter which I was skeptical about buying but the one on the Pro is working perfectly.

I was rereading some of your earlier post regarding the Viper starter. If you look closely at the starter there is small protrusions on it about 1/4in long. Also paint marks. Green Or blue if I remember right. All three sections need to be indexed in line with those protrusions if not starter will not work or even run backwards. That could be what was going on with it and you got it right or close when you put it back together?

I was rereading some of your earlier post regarding the Viper starter. If you look closely at the starter there is small protrusions on it about 1/4in long. Also paint marks. Green Or blue if I remember right. All three sections need to be indexed in line with those protrusions if not starter will not work or even run backwards. That could be what was going on with it and you got it right or close when you put it back together?

Yes Sir, you are right there is machined indent in the center case that is suppose to be at the back end of the starter in normal operation.
I am not sure what that starter was from, maybe an outboard? Also while I was pressing on the track drivers the previous owner walked into the shop and I asked him what the starter was from and he didn't know either. The odd thing was it was an identical RS starter but the only thing was it was spinning the wrong way. What I did to remedy it(back yard hack job) was spin the center part of the case around changing the orientation of the magnets North and South poles, this changed the starters rotation. But what this does is not line the full width of the magnets up on the armature, making the starter noticeably weaker. This was all done in a bind situation for a replacement starter for my RS Viking while I was waiting for my replacements to arrive here. It was Murphy's law, friends coming in from out of town and they wanted to go for a big ride out to one of the fishing spots and sure enough the day before they arrived my VK Pro chewed the starter and reduction gear. But it did work this way but not for very long, it only lasted 2 months before it burned up.
With all the troubles I have had between my VK, VK Pro and now the Viper, all I can say is I still LUV me my Yamaha's.
:yam:

Back