• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Canadian Vs. US Pricing - They've Done it again......

The border is less than 45 min from my house. I ship to a parcel service in the US and save lots of $ - especailly on shipping. For example - a Liquid Image Ego camera in the US including shipping is under $140. Same camera in Canada is $228. Even factoring in gas its a big saving.

$108 and $148 sounds good the older I get the more I realize our free health care is very expensive . Tax tax and more tax. Seem the rich get richer the poor get looked after and the middle class keep getting beat down.

hittoomanytrees said:
Don't let not having a US address stop you. You must know someone down there. Use thier's. Thats what I did. Bought my last 2 sleds brand new in North Dakota and used my Sister in laws address in California.

Or get a phone book and pick one out of it.

The dealer won't care. They just want the sale.
Rent a US mailbox then you have a legit US address and neither you nor the dealer can be accused of bending the truth.

new rob said:
$108 and $148 sounds good the older I get the more I realize our free health care is very expensive . Tax tax and more tax. Seem the rich get richer the poor get looked after and the middle class keep getting beat down.
It's not the tax or gst it's simply oem gouging - BRP made in Canada is still 20% more in Canada.

couch said:
hittoomanytrees said:
Don't let not having a US address stop you. You must know someone down there. Use thier's. Thats what I did. Bought my last 2 sleds brand new in North Dakota and used my Sister in laws address in California.

Or get a phone book and pick one out of it.

The dealer won't care. They just want the sale.
Rent a US mailbox then you have a legit US address and neither you nor the dealer can be accused of bending the truth.

You need residency proof (id) to buy a new sled. I looked into this last year.

Phatboyc said:
The only reasoning I see is they wanted to place it between the Nytro and Apex. So they had to make it more expensive then the Nytro even if its build in TRF.

Lets not forget the motor comes in a crate at TRF is still from Japan.

was wondering this has anyone come out and said that the engineor but so what is built in japan, i can seem to find this out. sure they are calling it a genesis motor but so what does that mean it cant be built in the us

I checked with a US Yamaha dealer and they are prohibited from selling to Canadians or they will lose their dealership. BRP is the same. One reason cited by BRP for doing this price difference and practice is to protect used resale values in Canada. If they were to suddenly drop the prices, it will lower the used market value.

I think one of the reasons for the price difference is the GST/HST and taxes. Fuel costs more to transport stuff here, the driver is paid more because he is taxed more, the truck cost more, the employees loading and unloading it, dealer pays more in rent, electricity, his employees. It's the government's fault!

Mooseman said:
I checked with a US Yamaha dealer and they are prohibited from selling to Canadians or they will lose their dealership. BRP is the same. One reason cited by BRP for doing this price difference and practice is to protect used resale values in Canada. If they were to suddenly drop the prices, it will lower the used market value.

I think one of the reasons for the price difference is the GST/HST and taxes. Fuel costs more to transport stuff here, the driver is paid more because he is taxed more, the truck cost more, the employees loading and unloading it, dealer pays more in rent, electricity, his employees. It's the government's fault!
Resale values?? That is so lame and BRP is made here.

the used sled prices seem to be sick around here
i might be able to afford somthing by the time im ready to retire and im 28....

I was glued to the 2014 release news cuz i figured in ten years from now i might have some money saved and might get to pay 5500$ for a 2014...

Mooseman said:

That's a load of baloney.

Companies claim their GST back, and corporate taxes are as low, or lower in Canada as anywhere else. Our property taxes are often lower, and companies and employees aren't saddled with the same health care insurance costs.

There is a simple reason why the prices are higher in Canada. For a couple of decades our dollar was worth alot less, and people got used to paying higher prices here in Canada. That's it, that's all.

It would take a couple of months of Canadians refusing to pay more than is being charged in the US, and we'd see price parity.

NFLD-Nytro said:
Mooseman said:

That's a load of baloney.

Companies claim their GST back, and corporate taxes are as low, or lower in Canada as anywhere else. Our property taxes are often lower, and companies and employees aren't saddled with the same health care insurance costs.

There is a simple reason why the prices are higher in Canada. For a couple of decades our dollar was worth alot less, and people got used to paying higher prices here in Canada. That's it, that's all.

It would take a couple of months of Canadians refusing to pay more than is being charged in the US, and we'd see price parity.

Good read here, and by the sounds of it, things might be changing soon, but I wouldn't be holding my breath!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... ences.html

Mooseman said:

Complete BS .... GST / HST is calculated on the selling price ... as for BRP manufactured sleds in Quebec should therefore be the cheapest place to purchase them as shipping is lowest. No duties / tariffs apply as its manufactured in Canada - same for us manufactured sleds as Canada has free trade with US. This is simply an opportunity for OEM to price gouge!

GST/HST is a multi level value added tax, not just a sales tax by the end consumer. The company buying iron ore from the mine pays it, the company that makes the bolts buying the iron ore pays it, the company that makes a part using that bolt pays it, the company building a sled using that part pays it. So by the time we buy that sled and pay that final tax, we've paid tax on tax on tax on tax on tax. Oh, and when we sell it used and it gets registered, it's taxed again.

The thing on the tariffs might explain sleds imported to Canada from the US and Japan but because those sleds are priced higher, BRP can ask more for theirs here. Could be some sort of back room deal or just a plain and simple money grab.

Mooseman said:
GST/HST is a multi level value added tax, not just a sales tax by the end consumer. The company buying iron ore from the mine pays it, the company that makes the bolts buying the iron ore pays it, the company that makes a part using that bolt pays it, the company building a sled using that part pays it. So by the time we buy that sled and pay that final tax, we've paid tax on tax on tax on tax on tax. Oh, and when we sell it used and it gets registered, it's taxed again.

The thing on the tariffs might explain sleds imported to Canada from the US and Japan but because those sleds are priced higher, BRP can ask more for theirs here. Could be some sort of back room deal or just a plain and simple money grab.

I prefer to call it legal robbery! #$%&*

Back