• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carb question

If it looks fine I will bypass the tors by disconnecting the two bullet connectors and plugging them into their selves. If that doesn't work at least I know it's not the tors causing the issue.

That is how you're suppose to by-pass the tors; you have to connect the ends into themselves. Leaving them disconnected is not by-passing the tors.

Yes. It was idling a bit rough but ran great. I cleaned the carbs to help the idle issue out. Now it idles great but won’t rev up. It gets to around 3000 rpm and starts to bog or sputter. If I let off the throttle it goes back to good smooth idle.
Are you 100% positive you didn't get any of the jets mixed up?it seems to me its a fuel issue as it seems like a loss of fuel as rpms increase

I’m positive. I took them apart 3 times but I’ll do it one more time. I don’t think I have any other option. It’s obviously something that I did during the carb cleaning that is causing the issue because it wasn’t doing it before. Just over 18,000 miles on this thing and this is the first issue that has stumped me especially since I’ve had the carbs apart several times before without issues.

I’m positive. I took them apart 3 times but I’ll do it one more time. I don’t think I have any other option. It’s obviously something that I did during the carb cleaning that is causing the issue because it wasn’t doing it before. Just over 18,000 miles on this thing and this is the first issue that has stumped me especially since I’ve had the carbs apart several times before without issues.
Did you do these on the machine or did you take the whole rack off?

Does it react differently when putting choke on?

I took them off the machine. I never thought about operating the choke to see what happens. I will try that tomorrow.
Double check your vacuum lines also make sure there are no kinks&they also get brittle with age due to the type of hose used&sometimes crack.assume you set the throttle freeplay already.

if by throttle freeplay you mean adjusting the throttle cable to have the 2-3 mm free play after I installed the carbs, yes
sorry yes that's what I meant,did choking it help?also back to the beginning when you first took carbs apart how dirty were they?even a light shellac on the jets/bowls etc bothers.did you clean or replace the pilots?

A
if by throttle freeplay you mean adjusting the throttle cable to have the 2-3 mm free play after I installed the carbs, yes
Also meant to ask did you dip the entire carbs or did you clean with spray etc? Also how far apart did you take them?

I tried running the engine with the choke on and it runs better. I only tried it back and forth in my shopbut with the choke off it won’t even rev up enough to move the sled and with the choke on it I can move it back and forth the length of my shop so it is not getting fuel for some reason. When I originally cleaned the carbs I removed the slides, floats and needles as well as the needle seats, main and pilot jets, and pilot air screws. I used carb cleaner on all parts and the bodies. Cleaned out all passages and jets and blew compressed air through them. I know it’s probably something simple because I have had them apart and cleaned then several times in the past without issues. I just need to figure out what I did wrong. I haven't had time to pull them apart yet and check again but can the pilot jets and the main jets accidentally be put into the wrong spot or will the not screw int each other’s spot.

I tried running the engine with the choke on and it runs better. I only tried it back and forth in my shopbut with the choke off it won’t even rev up enough to move the sled and with the choke on it I can move it back and forth the length of my shop so it is not getting fuel for some reason. When I originally cleaned the carbs I removed the slides, floats and needles as well as the needle seats, main and pilot jets, and pilot air screws. I used carb cleaner on all parts and the bodies. Cleaned out all passages and jets and blew compressed air through them. I know it’s probably something simple because I have had them apart and cleaned then several times in the past without issues. I just need to figure out what I did wrong. I haven't had time to pull them apart yet and check again but can the pilot jets and the main jets accidentally be put into the wrong spot or will the not screw int each other’s spot.
Yes main jet &power jets can be swapped maybe even if it was just 1. It would seem like it was only running on 3 cylinders.thats why I questioned if you were 100%positive none got mixed up it happens I would check that first if it was me.good luck!!

I bought a rx1 in Idaho a couple of years ago that the owner had taken to a Yamaha dealer to clean the carbs. We started it up and tried to load it on my trailer and it wouldn't even rev high enough to move. They took it back and pulled the carbs and found that the mechanic got all four carbs mixed up on the main jets vs the secondary jets.

Ken.............

Back