• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat To Reveal 2 New sleds at Haydays

I saw them. One was an RR version of the El Tigre. And the other was a mountain sled using their new 600 2-stroke.

APEX 06 said:
snobill said:
APEX 06 said:
Yeah Yamaha will no longer build sled just motors and they will be in :die CATS. :o|

Where did you hear that ?

Just being a #*$&@ still a little sick from the shock that its not a true Yamaha sled.

I am a little confused as why everyone is so upset about the Cat/Yamaha thing. I am reminded of times gone by when Sno-Jet beat Yamaha in 1973 and 1974 using Yamaha engines.....Yamaha has never been an industry leading chassis designer that I can remember. But WOW Yamaha can build engines.

The redesigned Thunderjets produced in 1972 were revolutionary when compared to the larger and more powerful racing snowmobiles common at the time. It was small, sleek, light and had a low center of gravity. It was quickly criticized because of its diminutive size, garnering unflattering nicknames such as the "Thunder Chicken", but quickly captured attention from racers and racing fans alike due to its ability to turn tighter and at higher speeds than the heavier racing snowmobiles common at the time. Utilizing lightweight aluminum frames, high-horsepower Yamaha engines and simple aerodynamic design principles, the Thunderjets quickly dominated racing circuits throughout the early and mid-1970s, gathering many awards for the racers as well as Sno-Jet itself.

Jim Adema raced exclusively for Sno-Jet, becoming a household name where snowmobile racing was concerned. Both Jim and Sno-Jet obtained their greatest victories when the unlikely racing snowmobile and its famous driver captured the Kawartha Cup, a coveted snowmobile racing trophy, for two years in a row in 1973 and 1974.

That may be and is reason I bought one. Remains to be seen. But dont forget Yamaha also built the first Phazer,SRX's,V-Max's,GPZ's,RX1's and countless other innovative sleds all on their own that changed snowmobiling for the better for everyone in the past. I will not ever forget that. They could easily do that again. Of that I am 100% sure.

cannondale27 said:
That may be and is reason I bought one. Remains to be seen. But dont forget Yamaha also built the first Phazer,SRX's,V-Max's,GPZ's,RX1's and countless other innovative sleds all on their own that changed snowmobiling for the better for everyone in the past. I will not ever forget that. They could easily do that again. Of that I am 100% sure.

Heh,

First Phazer was a copy of a 70's Canadian sled (1974 Alouette) that went out of business...engine was all Yamaha though.
Look at early 70's Sno Jet Thunderjet and then the late 70's SRX ;)!
V-Max were incredibly overweight and the 600 V-Max was an underperformer but rock solid engine
RX-1 was a game changer for the engine....which was stolen from there Motorcycle division.

Sooooo....Yamaha builds KILLER engines but I cannot think of a single Yamaha chassis that was state of the art (except SRX but see comments below). My hope is that Cat puts an innovative Yamaha superlight engine in a mountain sled....it can be done. Just imagine a lightweight phazer with two yz450 siamesed together instead of the existing yz250 siamesed together? Or better yet a horizontal 4 stroke for low weight? (think Honda Goldwing design)

As mentioned above the SRX.....I suspect that Yamaha's partnership with Sno Jet via the Yamaha engines in Sno Jet led to the SRX chassis as Sno Jet chassis won everything to win in 1973 and 1974. So the idea history may repeat itself and Yamaha shares engine tech and gets chassis tech in return really appeals to me.

As always just my opinion though.

Back