• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check your chaincase chain adjuster!

Just did the upper bushing, welded the tensioner, oil change and cut the barrels on the throttle body clamps. 4.5 hours
Now that’s quick!
It took me more then that for just the TB barrels.

Foolish question here but I haven't researched anything...is this a yamaha chaincase issue also or should I check mine on my tcat as well? Changed gears last year and all appeared to be good at around 4k but didn't focus on the tensioner

Chain cases are the same.

Still hired. Right now I'm a little tired of working on these things. It was a busy summer in my garage. 4 complete engine rebuilds which involved: Remove engine from chassis, complete disassembly, get heads/cylinder blocks repaired, all new pistons rings, chains, gaskets, rod bolts, water pump rebuilds, check valve shim and adjust, engine reassembly, install in chassis. Search and fix boost leaks, chain cases. Studs, etc, etc.
So, I'd hire you in a minute and I'll just watch (with a couple beers). LOL
Maybe we'll get to ride eventually. NO snow here in southern MN. We had some but this week's thunderstorms melted it all. :mad:

Foolish question here but I haven't researched anything...is this a yamaha chaincase issue also or should I check mine on my tcat as well? Changed gears last year and all appeared to be good at around 4k but didn't focus on the tensioner
Sidewinders and TCats are all "YamaCats." Cat builds both chassis, Yamaha supplies engines. Stickers, decals, and paint are different but the sleds are pretty much same except Sidewinders run Yamaha clutching; Cats run Cat clutching.

Sidewinders and TCats are all "YamaCats." Cat builds both chassis, Yamaha supplies engines. Stickers, decals, and paint are different but the sleds are pretty much same except Sidewinders run Yamaha clutching; Cats run Cat clutching.
Yes know all that but for some reason way back I thought I remember reading somewhere the yamahas had different clutches, chaincases and skis.. I know the design of the chaincase was the same just wasn't sure if yammi used their own gears and a different tensioner, thus the question regarding checking mine..

Another difference I believe is the jackshaft. Cat has a different jackshaft for the TEAM secondary.
I just purchased an XF9000 and swapped the secondary shaft to Yamaha and have all Yamaha clutching on it now.

Yes know all that but for some reason way back I thought I remember reading somewhere the yamahas had different clutches, chaincases and skis.. I know the design of the chaincase was the same just wasn't sure if yammi used their own gears and a different tensioner, thus the question regarding checking mine..
"The chaincase's" are the same, the gearing is different within the chaincases for each brand.

My '17 was tight when I opened the cover up a few weeks back. Took them out and applied permatex (red) on them,to be safe.
Permatex red clearly better than loctite (red) based on a non-bias video by project farmer on YouTube.

Just did the upper bushing, welded the tensioner, oil change and cut the barrels on the throttle body clamps. 4.5 hours
Not to hi-jack the thread but. What is ""CUTTING THE THROTTLE BODY BARRELS""? As a stock machine trail rider only, is this something I should be aware of?

Not to hi-jack the thread but. What is ""CUTTING THE THROTTLE BODY BARRELS""? As a stock machine trail rider only, is this something I should be aware of?
Check out the post throttle body boost leaks, this will answer your question, little spacers on clamps between throttle body and head.

Check out the post throttle body boost leaks, this will answer your question, little spacers on clamps between throttle body and he
Not to hi-jack the thread but. What is ""CUTTING THE THROTTLE BODY BARRELS""? As a stock machine trail rider only, is this something I should be aware of
Not if you are stock.

The "barrels" are the spacers that limit how tight you can make the clamps on the throttle body and cylinder head boots. You cut them to allow for more clamping force in higher boost conditions.
Stock sled, no worries

Thank's guy's, I"m out for the season due to Covid pneumonia hitting my lungs so my seasonal maintenance has been put off for a while. I've been following the water pump issue posts, my sled has over 11K on it so i figure it's clutch rebuild time and I'll replace the water pump as well. I'm leaning towards Robby Gordon's kit since it's so complete. Thanks again and sorry to get off post! ;)!

Back