• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch servicing

In pic 2293 the belt is a bit high, it should be about half that amount.
Agreed. I recall when I owned my '02 Viper and "track deflection" that it said exactly what you say here, that I should be about half that height. But I"m getting hosed somewhere/somehow with spacers or that I need less or more... I'm just starting to "play around" as 72Grand says with spacers.

Ok, I guess I'm just wondering if you back off the knurled knob, why isn't it letting the sheaves come closer together.

Ok, I guess I'm just wondering if you back off the knurled knob, why isn't it letting the sheaves come closer together.
You and me both, brother. What's really got me slammed is: When I continue to back off (loosen) the adjuster knob, it actually pulls away from the clutch such that there's play in the clutch, side to side.... on the shaft. The whole clutch just moves (together) in and out.

Agree sounds like you just need to get the spacers figured out, but once it is right you should be able to use the knob to fine tune the belt height - that is the purpose of it.

Agree sounds like you just need to get the spacers figured out, but once it is right you should be able to use the knob to fine tune the belt height - that is the purpose of it.
Agreed. I believe I need to add another spacer, in addition to the one I already added... I'll keep playing with it. Thank you.

My sidewinder doesn't have the inner bolts anymore, none of them do. They use a large washer on the head of the bolt with a spacer and either .5mm washers or 1mm to set the belt height. Therefore, anytime one of the inner machinery washers is remove or added the outside stack must be re-adjusted. Yours is like this also more or less, I think you will figure it out, just keep studying it.

My sidewinder doesn't have the inner bolts anymore, none of them do. They use a large washer on the head of the bolt with a spacer and either .5mm washers or 1mm to set the belt height. Therefore, anytime one of the inner machinery washers is remove or added the outside stack must be re-adjusted. Yours is like this also more or less, I think you will figure it out, just keep studying it.
Thank you

OK, i see it now.
Put a washer or 2 the size of the shaft or slightly smaller. We want it to go inside the sheave hole so sheave slides over it & OUT all the way.
Make it so it moves about 1mm on shaft with the adjuster loose when you tighten bolt. We DO NOT want the Adjuster touching the Helix yet.
Belt will be about 1.5 mm above sheaves like your picture on the bench.
NOW tighten the adjuster until belt is just above the sheaves. Flush to 1mm above is fine.
Need to tighten adjuster just a bit then run sled to let it "find" itself. It takes a couple pulls & DO NOT hit brake. Let it stop on it's own.

The Adjuster should not touch the Helix until you start to tighten it.
Let it touch it first, run it then tighten half turn at time until you get it. Run it each time twice.

OK, i see it now.
Put a washer or 2 the size of the shaft or slightly smaller. We want it to go inside the sheave hole so sheave slides over it & OUT all the way.
Make it so it moves about 1mm on shaft with the adjuster loose when you tighten bolt. We DO NOT want the Adjuster touching the Helix yet.
NOW tighten the adjuster until belt is just above the sheaves. Flush to 1mm above is fine.
Need to tighten adjuster just a bit then run sled to let it "find" itself. It takes a couple pulls & DO NOT hit brake. Let it stop on it's own.

Let it touch it first, run it then tighten half turn at time until you get it. Run it each time twice.
Thanks Steve. Feels like I'm getting close!!! Will do as you said and report back; tomorrow. Need to go get washers of the size we're talkin' bout.

They need to be smaller then the shaft just a bit so the Adjuster will go over them.
DO NOT feel stupid or embarrassed. You're learning & it's actually fun, gotta admit.
This is the BEST way to learn. Hands on, figuring things out. Soon we'll be changing your name to Jclutchman99

OK, i see it now.

Steve, just wanting to make sure here: Basically use the same size spacer that's already there? It's "the size of the shaft or slightly smaller" but also allows the bolt to go through it.

Is that what you mean?

Steve, just wanting to make sure here: Basically use the same size spacer that's already there? It's "the size of the shaft or slightly smaller" but also allows the bolt to go through it.

Is that what you mean?
I think you answered it with your additional comment of "or you could put the stock bolt & washer on ..."

Back