• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

No, the stationary sheave is the same part number (it has changed 1 time, since it was introduced on the 2003 RX-1), the movable sheave is the same part number (that was introduced on the Apex, with a little more strenght built into it), the cover is the same part number (same part number that dates back all the way to the 1998 SRX), and the spider assembly is the same (introduced on the RS Vector when they were fighting the clutch noise on that model).

I don't doubt they are the same number, but I have been told the old castings wore out and new castings were made. Made sense to me.

No, the stationary sheave is the same part number (it has changed 1 time, since it was introduced on the 2003 RX-1), the movable sheave is the same part number (that was introduced on the Apex, with a little more strenght built into it), the cover is the same part number (same part number that dates back all the way to the 1998 SRX), and the spider assembly is the same (introduced on the RS Vector when they were fighting the clutch noise on that model).

OK, saved me some time looking that up. Thanks. So, we're dealing with the same clutch.

MTX comes with 8BU, 14.5 rollers, Blue-Brown-Blue, and 37 degree helix, I did not look at secondary spring. Clutching setup on this machine will be able to be improved upon greatly as well.

I don't doubt they are the same number, but I have been told the old castings wore out and new castings were made. Made sense to me.

Secondary clutch sheave had new castings (you could not read the 1, 2, 3 number locations), but the primary has not changed. I have taken a SR Viper primary and put it onto another sled (Apex) and did not have to change my normal Apex setup, so nothing in the clutch has changed.

When you guys talk about the 8BU weights, I'm assuming everyone is talking about the heavier one the 8BU-00 @48.7g's not the 8BU-10 @45.41g's correct?

MTX comes with 8BU, 14.5 rollers, Blue-Brown-Blue, and 37 degree helix, I did not look at secondary spring. Clutching setup on this machine will be able to be improved upon greatly as well.

Blue Brown Blue at 98.4 mm long vs green whit green at 89.8mm long kinda puts it closer to the GWG with shim than not. :D Hope that extra length neutralizes some of that stiff engagement rate.....but I had also heard the test MTX engaged very high. Allen have you checked what RPM these MTX engage at?

I guess Yamaha was listening.

When you guys talk about the 8BU weights, I'm assuming everyone is talking about the heavier one the 8BU-00 @48.7g's not the 8BU-10 @45.41g's correct?

Good question turbo!!! :)

Big difference between the 2 weights

I will get exact number if specs say it. For the primary I believe only changes they made from original is the spider is cut for clearance of weights and they eliminated set screws on the pins.

Still waiting for somebody to fire one off and check the engagement speed. Last I heard the MTX was engaging at around 6k, hope that changed.

Back