• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

Your sled has an aftermarket turbo with the stock pink secondary?
What kit?

So if I have an original TP big venom clutch kit on my Viper and now put this new orange spring in the secondary i will I be seeing 100 mph, or at least higher top end vs the original blue spring in the kit?

Your sled has an aftermarket turbo with the stock pink secondary?
What kit?
MPI stage 1 and i was running a ulmer kit 60g stm weights and a k helix with pink secondary shimed to stop coil bind but i now have a 40/46 helix and TP orange spring to try this year.

So if I have an original TP big venom clutch kit on my Viper and now put this new orange spring in the secondary i will I be seeing 100 mph, or at least higher top end vs the original blue spring in the kit?

rbell14 - The original TP Big Venom kit, you should have seen over 100 mph with the way the kit was. We have a few people that bought the orange secondary spring that are running the original TP Big Venom kit......but have only run it on asphalt and grass. Are they getting quicker results? Yes, but this is only asphalt and grass short distance. I am hoping for early snow so this can be tested more for top end.

Another thing, (This goes for all Yamaha sleds with stock clutches)... I work on these clutches day in and day out repairing, getting rid of flash, machining for overdrive and replacing sheaves that some clutch kits just destroy. The largest problem is flash that has not been removed from when the secondary sheaves were casted. One lump of flash will keep the secondary from opening to it's fullest shift point, causing belt wear, belt dust and not seeing top mph like others see with their sleds. Please look up my posts for casting flash issues to get a better look at what I am talking about. Also look on Youtube under Terry Burmeister and you will see videos. @aquaticlaker ...his sled no matter what clutching I did to it, it wouldn't change anything and he was hitting the rev limiter constantly. I was totally baffled and swapped my clutches with his.....bang, 101mph GPS all stock Viper except for clutching. Went home with his clutches and found the problem.....flash issues. So please check yours

Mike Kroener also came to me with a turbo viper where the clutch sheaves were melted....yes, aluminum was melted because the belt slipped so much (Never have I seen that before). Clutching is a science to get working correctly.

Trail conditions also play a huge factor for top mph. What you may see 1 day, you will not see that mph the next day.

MPI stage 1 and i was running a ulmer kit 60g stm weights and a k helix with pink secondary shimed to stop coil bind but i now have a 40/46 helix and TP orange spring to try this year.
Super tips and reverse angle helix might be a little hard to hold you RPMs up at high speed. Hope it works for you.

Who else would like to see a new thread on this new secondary spring rather than piling into COTC which is really about using OE weights?

Start a new thread, I'm not going cotc, so no need for others who don't have it to have to find it in here.

Who else would like to see a new thread on this new secondary spring rather than piling into COTC which is really about using OE weights?

There are new threads with the new secondary spring

I'm almost all set-up for the COTC but have a quick question.

I'm going with the 8FP weight, shims in primary and thunder products orange secondary. Can I keep the stock primary in it? If not will the thunder products primary spring (for a N/A viper) work?

Would a 44-40 helix work for the COTC set up on a 14 stock XTX with the 1.6 Cobra? Found one laying around.

Is anyone running this kit on a 2016 MTX 141 SE? I currently have QAY-54 daltons and they pull hard, but won't stay off limiter at take off. Looks like the kit works great on sleds with taller gears, but the 141 MTX has the lower gearing. I can get my hands new set of 8FS weights and gwg spring, just looking for feedback first. My sled currently wheelies quite well with the Daltons, just wonder if this kit (or similar) will keep the skiis up as well?

Back