• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drag n fly, my setup

the set up was awesome. thinking i may add the extra washer for a little more top end but i doubt ill change anything, conditions were not on trail but on a field with six inches of snow. I really dont think i'll be changing anything though, a very positive run and great shifting.

How are your set ups affecting top end? I've got great pull low, better mid, but lost a lot on top (12mph dreamo). I've made changes and want to dial it in now. I have a stripped bolt in one of the weights that I need to get out so I can play with it, too much loctite I guess.

A friend with the same sled just put in Ulmers clutches and we are equal on bottom, he's better mid, and same on top.

I'm 60lbs heavier but was equal with him with just the d'n'f's. He now has clutching and studs but with my add ons I should be able to take him.

I tried Turk's set up - almost, except I have 5 washers in the arm instead of 4.
It pulls really, really hard in low end now. Mid range is a bit better too.
Top end is still missing though. I'm between 10,800-11,000 rpm's. Engagement is about 4000.

Raced the other Attak yesterday again. He'd beat me by about 2 sleds when we both maxed out at 108ish. I killed him in the hole shot, then he'd catch me at about 90 and pull away a bit.
We then switched sleds and mine hammered his by about 5-6 sled lengths. It was sweet to see.

I'm pretty happy with this set up, I'm 275, he's 210. I think the formula is something like every 7 pounds counts for one horsepower. So if I'm carrying 70 more pounds on the sled and can stay pretty even with him I should be happy. That's like a 10HP difference. I've got a few extras that he doesn't that theoretically count for about 10-13hp or so and it's pretty close. (PCIII, Ignition, airbox, exhaust mod). I'm still tweaking the maps and clutching and slowly dialing it in.

If I could only get that top end back now and keep pulling away that would be fantastic. Low end is amazing, mid could use a bit more yet.

I'll try Turks suggestion to go back to stock weights for a few runs and see if the top end really is still there, or if I'm losing it somewhere else.

I'll keep adjusting now, I'm getting close.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Any more info on your set ups?

i'm running the same set up as turks with yellow pink yellow primary silver secondary at 70 46/36 helix, 23/38 gears 192 pics. this set-up is very good, smooth in the trail and lets the sled hook on the bottom. was getting beat by friends ulmer set-up off the line last year then running even, this year he added pc3 ign. and air box and i'm beating him off the line and then were still even. he has 128 cobra track 153 pics 23/40 gears plus ulmers mods he should be killing me plus i weigh more.

Any new news on the best drag and fly set up for Attak???? Any new set ups anybody wants to share?

I just got my Drag 'n Fly kit and installed it last week. I asked them (Cindy is who I spoke to) to send it to me for my Attak pre set up for aggressive trail riding....

Cindy there did send it pre set up, and it differed from the specs in the instructions -- for either the Attak or Apex......

Here's what they set it up as....

Shoulder/Heel: 3.3 grams (3 washers plus the shoulder screw, which is the silver)

Center: Just the dark screw

Tip: 3.2 grams (2 washers of different sizes and the dark screw)

Overdive: 4.7 grams (3 washers and the dark screw)

Of course using the white primary spring....

So I installed it. Cindy did tell me this is a good aggressive trail set up with great take off and midrange and where top end rarely matters.

Here in Northern MN our trails tend to be very tight and twisty, technical trails with few straight aways....

So what does everybody think? Anyone tried a set up like this one before on an Attak?

Thx in advance!!!!!!

Mike

I run with 4.6 in the shoulder, 5.2 center and 3.2 od. Using the white primary spring. This works very well awesome on the trails. Plus works great for drag racing also. Can run with most anything out there.

Richie R

70superbee said:
I run with 4.6 in the shoulder, 5.2 center and 3.2 od. Using the white primary spring. This works very well awesome on the trails. Plus works great for drag racing also. Can run with most anything out there.

Richie R

Thx 70superbee!!!!!!!

I'm assuming those are weights in grams including the required screw?

So in the shoulder, you use the screw plus enough washers to equal 4.6 grams total?

What about the tip? No screw at all? Or just the screw?

Thx much and sorry about the questions!

Mike

Turk said:
Try this set up
1 bolt 4 washers arm
1 bolt 1 washer centre
1 bolt 1 washer tip
overdrive empty

Yamahahaapex: You use this set up here? Thx!

Initially, I'm going to use VX1R's set, which is as follows:

Shoulder: 5 flats washers and 1 lock washer and screw

Center, Tip, OD: Just the bolt in each without any washers. VX1R actually used smaller bolts, but i don't have those.

I'm going to try it first and then experiment.......

Mike

I do not have a bolt in the tip. But Iam going to remove the bolt and washer from the od and move to the tip. As per turks set up. Iam also going to try the p-y-p spring from yamaha. Will have to remove some tip weight though.
I would like a lower engagement so it does not trench out so bad, it is way better with the cobra track than the ripsaw.

Richie R

im using now with straight pipe exhaust and fuel programmer and ign mod and air box this as follows:

1 bolt, 5 washers in arm
1 bolt centre, 2 washers in centre
1 bolt, 2 washers in tip
overdrive empty

Had to add to turks original suggestion which was adding the washer to the centre and one more to the tip as I was smacking the rev limiter bad with the exhaust, Im guessing their was a power gain. I am going to see in the next couple days how this works and I'll update on what I find. The hardest part is finding conditions that are consistant with the testing to determine if a change is needed right now. I was quite happy with it especially in low and mid range, top end might have to wait for testing until conditions are safer

Hmmmm. Geez thanks so much everybody, this is really nice! But of course, it's a mindboggler!

I'm wondering if I should unload the OD to start (so it's empty), Throw a few washers onto the center screw, and 1 washer with the screw on the tip..... It'd be a pretty easy change before the season......

Thx all!

Mike

was only running 10,100 out of hole, no studs. took a bit off shoulder and im 10,300-10,500. hard to tell top end but easily a definite improvement over last year just with taking off the the tad bit of weight i had last year. it pulls so incredible now and mid range is just as strong. we will see how it performs once it gets a little colder. everything was set up perfect last year until i straight piped it and had to start compensating for the little bit of power i got out of it. I know im close with this set up.

Back