• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EXUP cable replacement

I believe most exhaust valves are installed for the same reason, to help with bottom end into midrange. It it fails in the open postion then you wouldnt notice any top hp or speed loss. The valve is partially close at idle which helps with low end power. I remeber reading early reports on this system and they claimed it made the machine feel 200 pounds lighter out of the corners cause of the torque increase. Hmmmmm.
The dyno folks know the real truth to that claim and like most others stasted. Seat o pants dyno couldnt tell.

If anyone is considering removing the cables and exup valve assembly completely, instead of wiring it up open, I made up a 1/4" thick stainless steel block off plate to use in place of the valve assembly, bolts right on, use the existing gasket.
Shoot me a PM if interested.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 155
My #1 (straight) EXUP cable broke while working on things on the bench today and that led me to this thread.

FIRST: the valve cannot remain closed if a cable breaks. Exhaust pressure will always flutter the butterfly to fully open. The result is experienced as reduced throttle response, which is due to some loss of mid-range power. Some of you might not even notice (as I read), but more experienced EXUP riders definitely will.

Some ill-advised person above wrote that it is best just to replace the "crack-prone" EXUP with a $1300.00 aftermarket piece of junk. Not so, and just how many EXUP exhausts are known to have cracked? Myself, I know of none.

Matter-of-fact, I am looking at a 2011 exhaust on my bench today. It is beautiful, no signs of cracks. Even if it ever were to crack, so what? Those SS bellows are far more likely to crack before your titanium ever does. And even then, titanium can be welded to titanium. Duh. IF - and that is a BIG if - you ever get a crack in your titanium section (everything from the head flanges, including pipe & bellows, to the V couplings is all stainless like any other Yami exhaust, as is the muffler) just have a welder fix it for a few bucks, geez. $1300.00 to replace the BEST header on the entire market with some run-of-the-mill schmuck tubing? You have GOT to kidding me.

Finally, I hate reading the bull$#!t that vendors put out about their sooperdooperpooperscooper exhaust mods adding all kinds of HP all over the bandwidth, and I just read the Ulmer Racing claim from the bad advice link, above, that their EXUP valve replacement header adds 4-5 HP throughout the power band. What a load of crap, and I just lost any respect for Ulmer Racing. I will much sooner believe Jim at Dynotech Research before I believe anything in anybody's sales pitch to make a buck, and even more so when it is impossible - like this garbage.

Look, bottom line: w/o changing anything on the sled, there is no more powerful Yamaha normally aspirated snowmobile than the EXUP equipped Apex model. Period. End of story. Low end, mid-range, top end, it is the best exhaust system you can get and the engine over all is the best power-to weight for any NA engine.

Swapping out the valved exhaust for Ulmer's piece of junk leaves the previously perfectly tuned headers far too open, and yer gonna lose midrange power, ah don't give a rat's patootie what anyone else might have to say after reading my post here. I suppose if all you want to do is run wide open throttle then who cares what you do with the headers? But who runs WOT from sun up to sun down, and then all the home back across the lake from Fred's Bar n Grill on anything but strictly a pro drag machine? Get real.

Do NOT waste your time and money swapping out an EXUP exhaust for some after market cheese.

Why anyone would remove the EXUP control from the system beats the heck outta me. All you are doing is robbing the midrange power by about 15% in doing so. You damn sure ain't makin that sled run better, so why on god's green earth would you ever do this? You dont' have $35.00 for a cable??? That will make you think now there is a throttle lag, but that lag is actually real power blown out the smelly end. It will make your sled feel heavier, and it will use more fuel and a more open throttle setting to do the same work.

Last edited:
wow very misinformed person here. I would like to know what weld shop you go to the has the chamber needed to weld TI properly surrounded by inert gas. we have had one go down and it was impossible to find a shop that could weld TI for us for one little job like this. same reason no one can weld up the TI headers that were on the previous apexes and why so many had to replace them WHEN they cracked. we did put the Ulmer replacement header on the machine because the prone to breaking stock header with endless maintenance between adjusting and replacing the exup cables costs over 3000.00 to replace OEM. what we have noticed with the Ulmer replacement header number one it looks too good to put under the sled great piece of almost art. it weighs a ton less then the stock piece it replaces. it fits perfect and comes with every thing you need to install it. it leans out the motor a little bit and there is no longer any black soot getting on the rear pan. it out accelerates the identical totally stock exact same year apex that his brother rides now when it used to get beat off the line till about 1000 feet now it walks him from start to finish and his fuel millage went up it is almost as good as my sidewinder now. oh and if it should happen to crack we have a wire feed welder with stainless wire and proper gas to weld it back up in the garage no special chamber needed. so if any other one in the group should happen to go down we will most certainly replace it with an Ulmer designed built and DYNO tested replacement header for half the price of the OEM thing that is in there and enjoy more power and better fuel millage proven on the dyno and out in the real world. Have fun replacing your EXUP cables every other year in the meantime. Oh and WHEN they both break its $70. and the work to get at them seeing as it is the only annual maintenance that requires you to remove the seat and the stupid prone to seizing and striping and breaking Alan head bolts to get at the cable ends.

wow very misinformed person here.

I'll give ya that. Guess I rattled someone's cage, eh? Let me buy the next round.

Tell you what, friend: sounds to me like you and your buds have a lot of cracked, discarded titanium headers laying about, and you can't figure out what else to do with them so...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Please send me all the cracked and useless EXUP exhausts you're talking about, I'll figure it out from there how get them fixed. In my own state alone there are 8 aero space shops that do titanium welding, I am quite sure there must be hundred more in WA, CA and GA alone.

Email me at gtmills@comcast.net for shipping instructions and my UPS account number, it won't cost you a cent.

As to broken cables, these lasted 8 years, I really don't mind all that much replacing them now- and any, again, in another 8.

My #1 (straight) EXUP cable broke while working on things on the bench today and that led me to this thread.

FIRST: the valve cannot remain closed if a cable breaks. Exhaust pressure will always flutter the butterfly to fully open. The result is experienced as reduced throttle response, which is due to some loss of mid-range power. Some of you might not even notice (as I read), but more experienced EXUP riders definitely will.

Some ill-advised person above wrote that it is best just to replace the "crack-prone" EXUP with a $1300.00 aftermarket piece of junk. Not so, and just how many EXUP exhausts are known to have cracked? Myself, I know of none.

Matter-of-fact, I am looking at a 2011 exhaust on my bench today. It is beautiful, no signs of cracks. Even if it ever were to crack, so what? Those SS bellows are far more likely to crack before your titanium ever does. And even then, titanium can be welded to titanium. Duh. IF - and that is a BIG if - you ever get a crack in your titanium section (everything from the head flanges, including pipe & bellows, to the V couplings is all stainless like any other Yami exhaust, as is the muffler) just have a welder fix it for a few bucks, geez. $1300.00 to replace the BEST header on the entire market with some run-of-the-mill schmuck tubing? You have GOT to kidding me.

Finally, I hate reading the bull$#!t that vendors put out about their sooperdooperpooperscooper exhaust mods adding all kinds of HP all over the bandwidth, and I just read the Ulmer Racing claim from the bad advice link, above, that their EXUP valve replacement header adds 4-5 HP throughout the power band. What a load of crap, and I just lost any respect for Ulmer Racing. I will much sooner believe Jim at Dynotech Research before I believe anything in anybody's sales pitch to make a buck, and even more so when it is impossible - like this garbage.

Look, bottom line: w/o changing anything on the sled, there is no more powerful Yamaha normally aspirated snowmobile than the EXUP equipped Apex model. Period. End of story. Low end, mid-range, top end, it is the best exhaust system you can get and the engine over all is the best power-to weight for any NA engine.

Swapping out the valved exhaust for Ulmer's piece of junk leaves the previously perfectly tuned headers far too open, and yer gonna lose midrange power, ah don't give a rat's patootie what anyone else might have to say after reading my post here. I suppose if all you want to do is run wide open throttle then who cares what you do with the headers? But who runs WOT from sun up to sun down, and then all the home back across the lake from Fred's Bar n Grill on anything but strictly a pro drag machine? Get real.

Do NOT waste your time and money swapping out an EXUP exhaust for some after market cheese.

Why anyone would remove the EXUP control from the system beats the heck outta me. All you are doing is robbing the midrange power by about 15% in doing so. You damn sure ain't makin that sled run better, so why on god's green earth would you ever do this? You dont' have $35.00 for a cable??? That will make you think now there is a throttle lag, but that lag is actually real power blown out the smelly end. It will make your sled feel heavier, and it will use more fuel and a more open throttle setting to do the same work.

Have you tried Ulmer's SS replacement header?

No, been making my own YG4 headers since 2012. Asked for dyno data from Ulmer Racing supporting their claim that this header "Adds 4-5 horsepower throughout RPM range".

No, been making my own YG4 headers since 2012. Asked for dyno data from Ulmer Racing supporting their claim that this header "Adds 4-5 horsepower throughout RPM range".

Sounds like you have a problem with them and need to let everyone know it! Is that so you can pump up your own claims? How about give it a rest and let the other people be happy with what they purchase?

Sounds like you have a problem with them and need to let everyone know it! Is that so you can pump up your own claims? How about give it a rest and let the other people be happy with what they purchase?

I have nothing to sell on TY4, however Ulmer's embellished claims are potentially damaging to my future business dealings elsewhere on the web, in other circles outside of snowmobiling.

I have nothing to sell on TY4, however Ulmer's embellished claims are potentially damaging to my future business dealings elsewhere on the web, in other circles outside of snowmobiling.
I checked with reputable Yamaha dealers regarding replacement of exup and stock header pipe and the price was always a $3k stock repair. On the other hand Ulmer has a reliable fix for between $1000 to $1500 with dealer installed header pipe. It’s not a good thing to bad mouth the Ulmer pipe when it saves sooooo much money over stock pipe. If users get the hp gain great if not they got back on the snow quickly for half the price of the OEM part. Imo it’s not if the exup and pipe will break its when so thank goodness Ulmer stepped up.

I checked with reputable Yamaha dealers regarding replacement of exup and stock header pipe and the price was always a $3k stock repair. On the other hand Ulmer has a reliable fix for between $1000 to $1500 with dealer installed header pipe. It’s not a good thing to bad mouth the Ulmer pipe when it saves sooooo much money over stock pipe. If users get the hp gain great if not they got back on the snow quickly for half the price of the OEM part. Imo it’s not if the exup and pipe will break its when so thank goodness Ulmer stepped up.

And if he has a problem with Ulmer then take it direct to him. This is not Facebook. We have rules and respect for each other.

Ulmer can sell and advertise their product as they want. You can sell and advertise your product as you see fit. Its a buyer beware market. Time and end users will weed out the bad and help the good ones grow.

For those that have not personally tried a product, you have no right to trash talk it or praise it. It's all hear say, and has no grounds of support and thus has no place on TY or anywhere else.
We are here to respectively help fellow sledders.
The best way someone can get help from is from someone who has already experienced and resolved the issue at hand before.

Back