• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fastest gear on snow....21/38...22/38...23/40

1.72" from bottom to top, 1.40" subtracting track thickness.
They are traction master studs.
2200 miles on 'em and the're still strong.

How close is my stock 22/38 gearing in my 07 RTX to the 23 /40 that everyone is talking about? Also When you talk about cutting the clutch for full shift out are you talking the primary (one on the engine) or the seconday (one on the jackshaft) clutch and what do they cut? I have a Hauck secondary helix but I dont think the primary is changed at all. I want to keep my down low performance, but gain a little on the top end.

race24x said:
How close is my stock 22/38 gearing in my 07 RTX to the 23 /40 that everyone is talking about? Also When you talk about cutting the clutch for full shift out are you talking the primary (one on the engine) or the seconday (one on the jackshaft) clutch and what do they cut? I have a Hauck secondary helix but I dont think the primary is changed at all. I want to keep my down low performance, but gain a little on the top end.

Run, the 23/38 gear and put in a set of drag&fly weights. Most after market helix's are cut to help shift into the OD. You can have the primary cut as well to help bring the belt to the top, but I would do everything else first.

I did buy a 23 gear for it hopefully the helix is cut I was not a big fan of the OD sheaves for my RX1 I felt like I lost some because the sled didnt have enough power to pull it into the OD unless conditions where perfect where stock it would run 116 I just didnt feel like it helped or maybe it didnt feel lik it had enough power to actually shift it. You could litterally sit at 108 on the DM and feel it shift (eventually) into the OD almost like you shifted a gear in an automatic tranny and it would go faster but it would get stuck around 108 110. Is cutting the primary different from the OD sheaves

The 07 RTX is faster with a 22 tooth gear. We've tried the 23 tooth on two different RTX's and it slowed them down. I can beat the 23 and 24 tooth RTX's and GT's in every condition except glare ice, which we rarely have. My cousin has the 07 Attack GT with the stock 23 tooth gear and he is very fast on top. He can run right with my RTX in every condition but I think that longer track really helps. The other GT's in our group just aren't as fast in snowy conditions.

fourload said:
Snow- 22/38
Trail pack and hard pack-23/38
Ice-24/38

Yep, I agree... But the 22/38, I believe must be used with the pro-active sled (Apex RTX), because I had a hard time hooking that gear up with my 121" Apex GT, which had 144 studs and a cobra track. On very hardpack ,yes it pulled a little harder with my ripsaw and 144 1.450 studs. 23/38 is a better gear for that sled with the mono skid, you won't spin as much out of the hole... I'm talking strickly Apex here, not LTX or Attack

Okay so what kinda gearing should a 08 LTX be running I am sure that stock is 23/38 but i dont think that there is enough power to shift it into over drive? What helix would you guys suggest? straight 47?

Not sure on the Helix, but a 22/38 gear I heard is a missle on the Attack/LTX. Again, 112-114 for top end would be the best you will get. Ice might show a little higher, but it would have to be perfect...

hey i guys, just reading your posts and was wondering, how the gearing works? I was at 23/38 and now i am at 23/ 39, will i notice a differnce any where..
thanks!!

Stock 06' Apex GT, 96 1.325 studs, 138mph, on rail bed trail last year, and some back roads, it pulls 10,400 out of the hole and 10,800 on top. I weigh over 250 lbs with gear on. I am not sure why I am getting that kind of mph, but it runs away from everything up top. I realize its probably only doing 118 or 120mph real speed, has anyone seen those numbers on stock sled? or is my speedo way off? I want to gear it down to 23/38, but will l need a new chain? I dont need all the speed up top, and would like more in the midrange.

arcticace said:
Stock 06' Apex GT, 96 1.325 studs, 138mph, on rail bed trail last year, and some back roads, it pulls 10,400 out of the hole and 10,800 on top. I weigh over 250 lbs with gear on. I am not sure why I am getting that kind of mph, but it runs away from everything up top. I realize its probably only doing 118 or 120mph real speed, has anyone seen those numbers on stock sled? or is my speedo way off? I want to gear it down to 23/38, but will l need a new chain? I dont need all the speed up top, and would like more in the midrange.

If you are seeing those speeds...I want your sled. U should inspect your speedo. Those speeds might be a TY record out of a stock Apex (w/o clutching and gearing and some shiny glare ice to run on). To answer your question though...23/38 you will not need a new chain.

I thought that it seemed high, but l left it pinned for a while. Thanks MC for the info, I will probably change the gear next year. Headed to Hancock Michigan on wed. I cant wait to get out there.

Back