• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First Belt Blown at 1800 Miles.

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX LE
Stock 8JP running TD Powertrail CAI with their clutch kit. Very happy with the setup ...3800 total miles on the machine with 1800 miles tuned. Messed around with Max Spool 17 briefly, what an animal.

Was trying to upload a picture of the belt but can't seem to figure it out here(doh). Anyway it snapped in half and directly across from where it snapped in half it looks like it was ready to snap there as well. Sled had been stopped for 15 minutes or so, started up and cruised down the field at 40-50mph...got to the end turned around and did the same for the first 600 feet or so then held WOT up to 123mph when the belt broke.

Makes me think the belt simply bottomed out in the secondary and that had I checked the deflection in the last 500 miles it may have lasted longer. Thoughts?

BOP belt guard soaked up the blow and no damage was done. First and only belt broken on this sled...changed to a new belt at 2000 miles after flashing for preventative reasons but it still looked to be in great condition.

Last edited:

Deflection will have no effect on how long a belt lasts UNLESS it's so loose you slip it excessively on takeoff.

I'm going to guess you didn't have enough weight in the clutch for running a higher powered tune and just simply cooked the belt with slippage on the higher tune.

IMO tuned sleds should probably have the bets changed every 1500 miles depending on how hard they are abused.

Deflection will have no effect on how long a belt lasts UNLESS it's so loose you slip it excessively on takeoff.

I'm going to guess you didn't have enough weight in the clutch for running a higher powered tune and just simply cooked the belt with slippage on the higher tune.

IMO tuned sleds should probably have the bets changed every 1500 miles depending on how hard they are abused.

I was more thinking the belt could have bottomed out in the secondary and snapped clean. RPMS were spot on running powertrail turning 8900-9000rpms with 77g in my dtya-1's.

This same clutching setup saw many WOT pulls uphill in gaspe/rimouski as well as a many WOT top speed runs on hard pack snow without issue. To be honest I wasn't expecting the belt to last as long as it did...

Thanks for the insight! I just wondered if I could have saved it or not.

I was more thinking the belt could have bottomed out in the secondary and snapped clean. RPMS were spot on running powertrail turning 8900-9000rpms with 77g in my dtya-1's.

This same clutching setup saw many WOT pulls uphill in gaspe/rimouski as well as a many WOT top speed runs on hard pack snow without issue. To be honest I wasn't expecting the belt to last as long as it did...

Thanks for the insight! I just wondered if I could have saved it or not.

For how long did you run max17 then? Thats what I'm more curious about. More power needs more weight.

For how long did you run max17 then? Thats what I'm more curious about. More power needs more weight.

I ran Max Spool 17 with DTAY-1's full at 81g I believe for roughly 300 miles. Was 1000 miles powertrail, 300 max spool 17 and another 500 with powertrail until the belt snapped. Only swapped back due to the concern of getting poor quality fuel..didn't get a single flash of the knock light though.

I ran Max Spool 17 with DTAY-1's full at 81g I believe for roughly 300 miles. Was 1000 miles powertrail, 300 max spool 17 and another 500 with powertrail until the belt snapped. Only swapped back due to the concern of getting poor quality fuel..didn't get a single flash of the knock light though.
what springs and helix?

Stock 8JP running TD Powertrail CAI with their clutch kit. Very happy with the setup ...3800 total miles on the machine with 1800 miles tuned. Messed around with Max Spool 17 briefly, what an animal.

Was trying to upload a picture of the belt but can't seem to figure it out here(doh). Anyway it snapped in half and directly across from where it snapped in half it looks like it was ready to snap there as well. Sled had been stopped for 15 minutes or so, started up and cruised down the field at 40-50mph...got to the end turned around and did the same for the first 600 feet or so then held WOT up to 123mph when the belt broke.

Makes me think the belt simply bottomed out in the secondary and that had I checked the deflection in the last 500 miles it may have lasted longer. Thoughts?

BOP belt guard soaked up the blow and no damage was done. First and only belt broken on this sled...changed to a new belt at 2000 miles after flashing for preventative reasons but it still looked to be in great condition.

.... the way you described it sounds just like mine...wicked...only mine snapped at 30-40 mph

With 1800 miles and those tunes consider yourself lucky. Belt fatigue is most likely case. Check all your rollers and weights for looseness and call it a day. Change your belt every 1500 miles because that’s about all your going to get especially if your riding hard. The days of 3000 miles a belt are gone forever with these high powered sleds.

With 1800 miles and those tunes consider yourself lucky. Belt fatigue is most likely case. Check all your rollers and weights for looseness and call it a day. Change your belt every 1500 miles because that’s about all your going to get especially if your riding hard. The days of 3000 miles a belt are gone forever with these high powered sleds.
I've got 6,000 miles on my first and original belt...

Let's just consider some ride differently in their 50s than when they were in their 20s and 30s. You just might live long enough to see! I hope you do...
I’m 51 :)

If your using the turbo a lot when you ride then you would never get even close to that type of mileage out of a belt. I bought a turbo to use it, not to look cool. If you spool the turbo more you just might have more fun?

I roll into the throttle more than stab it. I also don't whack the flipper after hard braking. I broke in the belt by pinning the throttle in the first 2 miles of the sled being new and to seat the rings as well. Seems to have not hurt anything for longevity.

The track is also not studded... I only ride when/where conditions are snowy and studs are mostly useless.

Back